Making two LCDs into 1?

Deezus

Gawd
Question.

Is it possible or even worth it to buy, say, two 17" LCDs, stip them from the frames, make a custom frame and mount them together? Then find some usefull proggy that will split the image in half for each LCD? Or would this be an ugly mess to try out? Reason I ask is LCDs are really dropping in prices and I would love to have a wide screen set-up.

Pros?
Cons?

-Deez-

Not worth the effort. The control board in the panels themselves are made to recognize one panel, one resolution. To do what you're proposing would require a new circuit board to feed the two panels and subsequent increase in resolution. If that's even possible to do, I would imagine it is at a costly price.

If you just want a simple method of conglomerating them, then that's another story. Custom frame would be awesome and eliminate that annoying gap between each monitor.

Maybe I shoulda been a little more specific. :)
I wouldn't want to mess with splicing or new boards. Just using the Video out/DVI out /? out to sync them up through the video card.

Now is more appealing and possible?

Deezus said:
Maybe I shoulda been a little more specific. :)
I wouldn't want to mess with splicing or new boards. Just using the Video out/DVI out /? out to sync them up through the video card.

Now is more appealing and possible?

Yes, lots of people do that.

yeah, just setup them up as dual monitors

what your basically doing is making the spacing between the two lcds smaller, which is great!

Pretty much like that one Mav, but hopefully even closer together then those were.
Would like to make it as close as possible for the grand "plan".. Plan being to buy two of these such and such 17" LCD sale priced at 285 in the local Best Buy and smash them together in a, non planned out at this time, custom frame. Would use it to watch movies on when I.. uh.. rent movies on my computer.. For some reason I like to watch movies here as opposed to running it through my TV.. Maybe I need a new TV ;)
So hopefully, if this all seems worth it, I can run the videos in wide screen as well and make it look right, not.. morphed.

Deezus said:
So hopefully, if this all seems worth it, I can run the videos in wide screen as well and make it look right, not.. morphed.
Just add two more displays above this dual setup and use them as one big screen ;)

Pyrolistical said:
that would be m@d

damn straight!

BTW: I'm interested in buying an LCD right now... so I would like to see how this is accomplished! ;)

Post pics! :D

Back