Makera Carvera

k1pp3r

[H]F Junkie
This doesn't really fit anywhere else, and since they say "As easy to use as a 3d Printer" I am putting it here :)

Has anyone heard of the Makera Carva, its billed as a desktop milling machine (optional 4th axis) that looks pretty spiffy.

Its hitting Kickstarter tomorrow and while I am very weary about kickstarter I am kind of intrigued about this one.

https://www.makera.com/

The Make Magazine looks favorable. It's nice that the software doesn't seem to be wifi/dial-home dependent. I would like to hear it running. Not sure if the house hold would be favorable if I consider getting one.

Price was saying $5-6,000.

Looks like the 'glowforge' of CNC.

Wu had a bit of video of it for another review. 6:47 in.

The Make Magazine looks favorable. It's nice that the software doesn't seem to be wifi/dial-home dependent. I would like to hear it running. Not sure if the house hold would be favorable if I consider getting one.

Price was saying $5-6,000.

Looks like the 'glowforge' of CNC.

Wu had a bit of video of it for another review. 6:47 in.

They sent out a notice that the kickstarter is like 49% off that $5-6k number like around $2,250ish. Which may be a good price point.

I don't consider it much of a glowforge since it doesn't seem locked into their own designs, basically if you can make it in CAD you can mill it with this thing.

I'm seriously thinking about biting on this.

I ended up backing it. Got in on the early bird special and added the 4th axis unit.

1632246601153.png

They met their goal within a minutes of going live, hopefully it comes through :)

Have you received it yet?
I'm kicking myself for not getting in on the early bird special. Seems like a pretty awesome machine for the price.

Have you received it yet?
I'm kicking myself for not getting in on the early bird special. Seems like a pretty awesome machine for the price.
Not yet, they should begin shipping soon. Mid June they locked in orders and shipping information and posted their fulfillment timeline

Here comes the latest fulfillment timeline:

• Aug - first batch shipping (around 100 machines)
  • Sep - second batch shipping (around 200 machines)
  • Oct - Third batch shipping (remaining machines)
They don't tell you what batch you are in, but I hope to see shipping notification soon.

Tiny update

Carvera has SHIPPED!

This means its at the actual port, the initial batch left their warehouse a bit ago and has officially reached the port and shipped to backers.

EDIT:

Official unboxing video

Hmm. Looks pretty solid. Sadly it is most likely not "apartment ready".. or maybe my neighbors are not 'CNC-ready'. hahaha

Finally got the unit in, setup and ran one of the demo files.

Currently working on my first custom job, pictures to come of that.

My cell phone camera is not very good, but here are some initial pictures.

0114232227.jpg

0119231542.jpg

0119231702.jpg

Back