Make 3 pin case fans obey 4 pin PWM signals?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Is there any way to do this?

Ideally I'm looking for some sort of adapter that does the following:

4 pin PWM signal ---> Adapter (turns high/low PWM signal into high/low voltage -> 3 pin case fan.

I have a couple of 180mm 3pin fans I desperately need to control using a 4 pin PWM signal.

Any help appreciated!

So far, I am not aware of any adapters that can do that. Though maybe try a Fan Controller? They seem to work fine changing the speed of the fans whether it's 4-pin fans or not.

So far, I am not aware of any adapters that can do that. Though maybe try a Fan Controller? They seem to work fine changing the speed of the fans whether it's 4-pin fans or not.

Yeah, Problem is as follows.

I have a rather unusual (and amazing) 180mm sealed water cooling unit (like Corsairs H60/H80 but 180mm instead of 120mm). The radiator actually performs better than the new H100.

Right now I have a push/pull system set up with two 180mm fans. I have been unable to find any 4pin PWM controlled 180mm fans. At full blast they are a little loud (in a quiet room) so I'd like to control them so they wind down when the CPU is cooler.

Fan controllers are typically unreliable, as you have to stick a temperature probe somewhere, and you are not getting actual core temp.

Because of this I wanted to use the PWM signal off of my CPU header on the motherboard, and use smart monitor mode to control the fans. I even got a three way PWM splitter that appears to work well, but only seems to work with PWM fans.

This Sunbeam 5.25" controller is supposed to do that.

I've been powering six 3-pin fans off the two chassis headers on my Asus Z68 board. Its controllable exactly like the two CPU 4-pin headers, but with its own profile.

Back