Major upgrade - no appreciable performance increase

- What app is using 70% CPU usage? That's just it, the only thing running at the time was the Task Manager.

Look under the Processes tab in task manager. It should tell you what app is using 70% of your CPU.

Also, try emailing Abit's customer support. Tell them your problem and see if there's chance that's it is motherboard related.

- Have you done any kind of "tweaking" on XP? Like turning off certain services, removing certain windows apps, etc.
- What apps are being loaded up at startup?
- This is a fresh install on a new hard drive correct?
- What new hard drive did you buy?
- Run Prime95 and see it passes. If it doesn't, then something is wrong with your CPU.

If it was this slow on both your old and new system, there's got to be something wrong with the way you're installing the software. Walk us through how you usually install XP on a system, Include what every software you install afterwards, what drivers you install, etc.
 
Why has not one person here pointed out the fact that the OP might have a PSU issue? All the bad signals point to either #1 a faulty PSU, or #2 an under powered PSU with low rails...


Question to OP... When you bought this new rig, did you buy a new power supply with it or just use your old one with your old hard drive?


Incase I dont post in this again PM me... But my 2c is for you to get yourself a seagate 7200.10 HD off of newegg for 65 bucks they are 320 gig and cheap as hell... then "IF" I'm right and you have an old PSU..., get a new one of those with 4 raisl at atleast 25A-30A a rail. Because there is no way your system setup should be going that slow...
 
Why has not one person here pointed out the fact that the OP might have a PSU issue? All the bad signals point to either #1 a faulty PSU, or #2 an under powered PSU with low rails...

People have pointed that out:

4.) I notice you're running a coolermaster power supply. Is this by any chance from your old build? Do you have a way to swap it out and test with a different power supply?

I, personally would suspect the hard drive or the power supply. Anything else that followed over to the new system would be a suspect also.

If your power supply is going intermittently bad, there is no real easy way to check it other than to install a new power supply. Just checking the voltages won't tell you if it is intermittent.

Anyway, yes a PSU can cause some stability problems. Though not necessarily performance problems. However I still recommend replacing the PSU just to rule it out.

I would also consider a new power supply considering its from the old system and could be having issues. That could be wreaking havoc with your system stability, your HDD, your RAM etc etc.

It's just that the OP cannot afford a new power supply at this moment in time.
 
The OP hasn't done much to help us help him though. I completely understand budget constraints, but there is obviously a hardware failure going on in this system and the only real way to troubleshoot and fix it is by swapping parts.

Buy the parts, swap them out. If it doesn't fix it return them. If it does fix it, return them and RMA the bad part. Just about all the new parts should be under warranty.
 
I've never seen a bad PSU just make a system run like crap though. So that might be his stability problem, but does not address the (lack of) speed.
 
Weird, I went from an AMD 64 3000+ to a E2180 O/C'd at 2.56GHZ and I feel a MAJOR difference. Are you just slow? (no offense) =X

Well......
 
I have seen Nero 8 slow system down. NWIndex Service is a drag.

Also was this New (Clean - Format) Load of Windows? Or on top of XP?


DM
 
Here is some additional information based on recent posts:

The OP hasn't done much to help us help him though. I completely understand budget constraints, but there is obviously a hardware failure going on in this system and the only real way to troubleshoot and fix it is by swapping parts.

Buy the parts, swap them out. If it doesn't fix it return them. If it does fix it, return them and RMA the bad part. Just about all the new parts should be under warranty.

I indicated long ago that, based on the recommendations, "I am going to purchase a Seagate 500GB internal Hard Drive" which I did.

I also said "I just went through my system, remember, it's a Q6600, and the fastest any program opened and was ready to use was 5 seconds. The majority took closer to 10 seconds. A new hard drive is going to shave 80% off this? And if so, will it shave 80% off other tasks as well?"

Someone said to, "Bump you memory voltage to 2.1 volts", which I did, and stated as much.

I also said, "The whole problem is that I've seen no performance increase with the Q6600 with videos and editing them. I don't have Vista. Everyone has said I need an new hard drive to see the gains in speed. I still get choppy video playback with the new system. Before, the video was choppy and the video would frequently fall behind the audio (well, I guess that's a performance increase). I would not consider that a huge gain. The video playback could be software related due to the newer file format I work with, AVCHD. Nevertheless, my expectation is smooth playback, which is far from as taxing as editing the vids. Does the hard drive have much to do with video playback? I have been able to convert the files in one software, then burn DVD's with another, but if I use one software, Nero, start to finish, the end product is as choppy as the playback and is unwatchable. I realize Nero is not top of the line, but I would have expected it to perform as well or better than the limited software SONY supplied with the camcorder.

Opening programs is not one of my primary concerns, I was just making a comparison with what one other fellow stated to illustrate that my system is slow."

I also did the following, "Hi all,

Yes, this is a fresh install of XP Pro.

Did all of the above except the PS swap. Running in DMA mode already. Windows did say it repaired some sectors, but didn't specify the extent of the repair. Ran memtest for a couple hours and got no errors.

So, after I rebooted after all this, I'll try to explain what happened, but I tried to open a program (and this has happened with any of the programs and Firefox as well) and all I got was the border of the window with the inside of the border simply the desktop. Then everything stopped working and had to reboot. Doesn't happen everytime, but often. At least as often as my old configuration. I hope everyone understands when I say the program started to open, but I only saw the window borders, the interior was transparent.

Note that the primary reason I started the thread was the lack of performance in video encoding, editing, etc. I should have seen an improvement, without the hanging and locking up.

One thing I did notice is that my RAM is showing as 5-5-5-18 in CPU-Z, but it is supposed to be 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V. I have it set to 2.1V already. Will this make a big difference?"

Most recently I wrote:"Thanks for all your suggestions. To answer some of the questions:

- What app is using 70% CPU usage? That's just it, the only thing running at the time was the Task Manager.

-What Anti-spyware and Anti-virus scanner are you using? I ran Ad-Aware, Spybot SD, CA Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus

-All drivers are current; nothing downloaded from torrent

-Don't have any RAM around to swap out, nor the cash to get some more

-Windows XP and all software full, legal versions

-Heatsink is fine, no heat issues

- BIOS is up to date"

And now I will answer some more recent questions:

- Have you done any kind of "tweaking" on XP? Like turning off certain services, removing certain windows apps, etc. *Yes, but not a major improvement, although now I can run in regular mode and not have to run in Safe mode.
- What apps are being loaded up at startup? *Only the bare minimum to run Windows - this was one of the first areas I went to to clean up.
- This is a fresh install on a new hard drive correct? *Yes, it was.
- What new hard drive did you buy? *Seagate SATA/300 500GB 16MB
- Run Prime95 and see it passes. If it doesn't, then something is wrong with your CPU. *Don't know how long to run it for, but no errors after an hour.

If it was this slow on both your old and new system, there's got to be something wrong with the way you're installing the software. Walk us through how you usually install XP on a system, Include what every software you install afterwards, what drivers you install, etc.* I installed Windows to the HD following the instructions, process went smoothly. I install all software from the disks and then search for and apply any updates, patches, etc. Same for the hardware on the system.

Is there anything else I can do to prevent someone from saying I haven't done very much to help you help me?

If a PSU is the cause of all this, what is a good one with 4 rails that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and isn't an Antec? I've previously had three of them burn up on me (on my previous system, so won't buy them again).

Thanks to everyone for your continued help.
 
In all seriousness, if the PSU is the problem, there are quite a few affordable solutions out there that should meet your budget.

Just use the search function on newegg for your pricerange and wattage requirements. I'm a PC PnC fanboy, but Thermaltake Toughpowers are good. Spend a little time looking around and googling results.

~Semi
 
Did you install the motherboard drivers? I just glanced at this page, but
when you do a clean install of Windows,
thats the 1st thing you should do.

Windows & updates now you can download the SP3 distribution download and just apply that one major service pack (preferably from a disc, not internet - stay off internet until firewall & virus scanner are installed)
then
motherboard drivers
then
graphics & other drivers
then firewall, virus scanner (I prefer AVG & ZoneAlarm)
then software / apps

then restore your old my documents and other files that could contain viruses (after you've installed your virus scanner)

I've seen people reinstall windows, and then reinstall their documents/apps first, and run some dumb app/warez that reinfected them with the same rootkit or other virus they had before the fresh install that was causing the problems. So the fresh install was pointless.
Fresh install with virus scanner & firewall before any potentially iffy programs or even opening Word or Excel documents or some videos (could contain viruses)
 
Yes, it was a clean install of everything, new hard drive, partitioned for OS and programs.
 
You didn't answer the question did you install the motherboard drivers?

Specifically, the Intel chipset drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Professional&lang=eng

After all this time someone finally informs me that I needed to download the chipset drivers from the Intel website, specifically. I apologize for having wasted everyone's time here with my misguided complaints. Since I own an Abit board with an Intel chipset, I thought all the necessary drivers could be downloaded from the Abit site. Boy do I feel like a complete and utter fool. I initially thought, "nice, another testy and backhanded insult with the 'you didn't answer the question' drivel". I though when I said "clean install of everything" I was clear, until it was pointed out to me how boneheaded I've been. I'm admittedly an amateur, but this is so bad, I can understand why some have lost their patience with me. I'll not bother the Hard Forum again as I shrink back under the proverbial rock.
 
Now I'm more confused, that's a different link

Get the drivers directly from the Intel site - go to the download center and select chipset - chipset software - Chipset Software Installation utility link - it'll take you here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816&lang=eng where you can select your OS and download the latest drivers. Just download the executable version that says it is primarily for the 3, 900 series chipsets - should be version 8.3.1.1009
 
Now I'm more confused, that's a different link

The first link was for intel specific boards, the second is for intel chipsets. Use the link and select your OS, download the drivers. It's not that hard. A little bit of reading goes a long way.
 
whoa if hes having this much issues with the ip35pro and an q6600, hopefully my friend rig who i am also building wont be thismuch of a hassle.
 
There are so many people with that combo and so few with problems. I wouldn't worry about it.
 
One thing I didnt understand was...how in the world did the OP last soooo long with this problem...I would have gone nutz and would have RMAed a few things by now...1)mobo 2) CPU 3) Ram
 
The first link was for intel specific boards, the second is for intel chipsets. Use the link and select your OS, download the drivers. It's not that hard. A little bit of reading goes a long way.

Just one little favor, I would truly appreciate it if this smug expletive post no further replies - please please please please? This guy, and a couple others, but this guy mostly, reminds me why I stay away from places like these where 99.9% of the people are decent. You and your kind ruin it for me and so many others out here looking for help. Yeah, I'm pathetic because I can't read and lasted so long without returning any components. Maybe I have some things going on that have precluded that from happening. BUT THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS PERSON'S (for lack of a better term) LACK OF ETIQUETTE. NONE!

How is this driver different than the one I obtain from Abit's site that says Intel Chipset Driver?

And RamonGTP, don't answer, take you and your supercharged intelligence elsewhere, won't you? Please?
 
After all this time someone finally informs me that I needed to download the chipset drivers from the Intel website, specifically. I apologize for having wasted everyone's time here with my misguided complaints. Since I own an Abit board with an Intel chipset, I thought all the necessary drivers could be downloaded from the Abit site. Boy do I feel like a complete and utter fool. I initially thought, "nice, another testy and backhanded insult with the 'you didn't answer the question' drivel". I though when I said "clean install of everything" I was clear, until it was pointed out to me how boneheaded I've been. I'm admittedly an amateur, but this is so bad, I can understand why some have lost their patience with me. I'll not bother the Hard Forum again as I shrink back under the proverbial rock.

don't be beaten down man...stick around...:) I take it this means your stuff is working now?
 
How is this driver different than the one I obtain from Abit's site that says Intel Chipset Driver?

Not very different, probably just a newer version. If you installed the one off the Abit disc, you SHOULD be ok. However, its usually best to check for latest versions of drivers for each piece of hardware from the respective website (chipset, videocard, LAN, & sound, etc.) when doing an install.

Like an nvidia videocard may come with a disc with some drivers, but they may be like version 163.xx where the latest available from nvidia.com may be 175.16, etc..

Like I downloaded the Marvell LAN drivers from their website, Intel chipset from its website, Nvidia videocard from nvidia.com, Xfi from soundblaster's website, etc.. So I was sure I had the latest official (non-beta) drivers for each piece of hardware.

Sounds like you have a config or driver problem somewhere.

BTW, go change your ram settings to 4-4-4-12 like they're supposed to be. Going from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 can make a system feel a little snappier. At least I noticed it on my system.
Sample image: (not actual settings)
1188965221ygUfUJ2d2w_2_16_l.gif


Your settings should look like this one:
http://www.dragonbytes.org/images/abitip35pro/abit bios 05.jpg
 
Not very different, probably just a newer version. If you installed the one off the Abit disc, you SHOULD be ok. However, its usually best to check for latest versions of drivers for each piece of hardware from the respective website (chipset, videocard, LAN, & sound, etc.) when doing an install.

Like an nvidia videocard may come with a disc with some drivers, but they may be like version 163.xx where the latest available from nvidia.com may be 175.16, etc..

Like I downloaded the Marvell LAN drivers from their website, Intel chipset from its website, Nvidia videocard from nvidia.com, Xfi from soundblaster's website, etc.. So I was sure I had the latest official (non-beta) drivers for each piece of hardware.

Sounds like you have a config or driver problem somewhere.

BTW, go change your ram settings to 4-4-4-12 like they're supposed to be. Going from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 can make a system feel a little snappier. At least I noticed it on my system.
Sample image: (not actual settings)
1188965221ygUfUJ2d2w_2_16_l.gif


Your settings should look like this one:
http://www.dragonbytes.org/images/abitip35pro/abit bios 05.jpg

Aha!!! NOW I know why it's called the Hard Forum, because you learn things the HARD way! Am I right? So I went ahead and followed these instructions (by NOT using the settings in the picture, but selecting the link and using THOSE settings) and guess what? A black screen with no visible signs of life! LOLOLOL, this is a riot. I'm using an ancient machine to come here and find out if anyone can help me NOW, since I can't even get to Safe Mode. I used the exact settings from the linked picture and now can't even boot up. Don't ask if I have a boot disk, the thing I had labeled "boot disk" did nothing. XP disk does nothing, nor does the mobo disk. Wonderful. Anyone else got some bright ideas?
 
Go back into the BIOS and change the DRAM Timing Selectable back to AUTO.
 
I was going to recommend against using those settings, but you asked me not to reply... Now my feelings are hurt and your computer isn't functioning.

But I'm not one to hold a grudge or take things personally. So... Resetting your bios should do the trick. There's a jumper on your motherboard, usually near the battery. There will be three pins with the jumper covering two of them. If it's covering pins 1 and 2 move it so it is covering 2 and 3 instead. If it's already at pins 2 and 3, move it to pins 1 and 2. You only need to do this for a second or two then move it back to it's original location.
 
Abit should have an autorecovery thing so you should be able to get in to the BIOS to put things back to AUTO, but if it doesn't you'll need to clear the CMOS. READ YOUR MANUAL for the instructions and location of the jumper.

The picture was from another website and mods don't like you stealing bandwidth/hot linking. So I showed a sample from the [H] which I could hotlink and a link to one with the correct settings.

That is quite odd, your ram is rated for 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v for 800Mhz right?
you should be able to run at 4-4-4-12


You said in an early post that you had already raised your voltage to 2.1v for the dram, right. IF for some reason your dram (vdimm) voltage isn't set to 2.1 or higher set it to that then try again. If you ram calls for 2.1 you probably want to set it to 2.2v just to be safe.

If it was already at 2.1+ I guess put everything back to Auto.

BTW, besides having an issue with your computer, you seem to have an issue with your attitude.

A lot of people have tried giving you some advice & suggestions and your responses just are kind of weird, complaints or just smart ass, etc. Obviously its hard to tell what "tone" you have from text, but from most of the posts I've seen its cynical at best. Building a PC isn't for everyone. Some people are better off buying a Dell, where you get the tech support. If you're not willing to do some research and learn on your own to some degreee, then you shouldn't build a PC. Forums are great place to research and to ask questions when you CAN'T find the answers by searching & reading on your own. But you seem to have an attitude that you're owed tech support and answers here.

You say things like I don't want to spend a lot of time or get too involved, etc.. (you sound lazy) Sometimes there's not a quick fix. It takes time methodically testing each parameter of your system to find the problem. Whether its Prime/Orthos/Memtest testing it for hours or trying a whole bunch of different BIOS settings by changing one variable at a time. Building a PC can be hard work. If you're not willing to do it, buy a Dell next time.

Maybe your expectations are just overboard, as I haven't seen any benchmarks to support your "slowness" claims.

BTW, thats another thing you can do. Benchmark each component and see if anything is "off". Try sisoft sandra, and run the CPU, memory, etc... tests. See if those are in line with where you should be for your Ghz, memory speed, etc.. Try runing 3dMark2006, post a link to your scores, etc...

Then the last thing, running your system at the stock 2.4Ghz, in general isn't going to "feel" a whole lot faster than your old system b/c MOST of the time your computer is only going to be using ONE of those 4 cores.

I normally tell EVERYONE to overclock their system, but seeing the level of difficulty you're having and the lack of effort you're willing to put out, I won't suggest what I would normally suggest to the other 99.9% of the people.

If you were normal person and would research the proper way to do things first, make some notes, and follow directions. I'd tell you to overclock your system to 9x333 for 3Ghz. But I don't want to be responsible for the shit storm if it doesn't work for you .
 
at this point im compelled to offer some advise. To the OP, it appears that you are in a pickle with this machine. do you have any tech savy friends who build their own machines? would taking it to a professional be out of the question? I'm suggesting this simply because, if my friend was the one with the malfunctioning machine that tried everything based on people's advise on a website, i'd hope he would then turn to someone locally. there are just certain things that I would personally check. I'd love to get my hands on your machine and do some tests, I'm sure there are people in your area that would like to do the same. good luck brother.
 
Where are you located..maybe there is someone here that is local to you that would come over and lend a hand....if your near me, I would be willing to help anyway I could.
 
Generally speaking, I've been very grateful for the suggestions put forth by the majority of posters thus far, and I continue to be. Given the grave news I received from my Dr. today, this all becomes relatively moot. When I objected to being treated disrespectfully, I only got more disrespect. The person who went back and looked at all my posts (and shall remain nameless Chris6969) and concluded I had an attitude problem probably misread the 1/6 post from another individual (which was deleted) when someone told him "your comments are unnecessary dude...please try and keep it respectful". That was when the venom began. Unfortunately, you can't read what he wrote, but you can read what another guy wrote who belittled me by saying, "upgrading is utterly pointless. However, you should see a marked improvement in Photoshop applying gigantic gaussian blur filters on 100 MB PSD files." Very helpful advice indeed.

And several days after that, following a bunch of posts, and definitely none by me in any kind of tone other than benign, another kind poster said, "Hey Nitz, don't get put off by some of the posts that you get in the forums. Just ignore the rude ones, and ask for explanations for the stuff you don't understand. We sometimes forget that not everyone understands the jargon we use here."

But I'm kinda more angry now, not cynical, based on the recent posts. This forum appears, to me at least, to be just for experts of one subject or another helping each other (which is fine, I just don't belong here). Let me offer my own comments on the most recent niceties.

"It's not that hard. A little bit of reading goes a long way." (my comment is, this was unnecessary and offers no value to anyone, except to demean. It's just condescending.)

Chris6969 offered the jpeg of the chipset settings which resulted in complete non-function, which did not afford me the option of even going back into the BIOS (I ultimately reset the CMOS using the convenient switch the IP35 Pro has without having to open the box). However, this occurrence, on the heels of the devastating news from the Dr. this afternoon, made me snap. He was only trying to help, so I apologize. But my sarcasm wasn't deserving of the vile response.

I do take offense to the characterization of me having an attitude (I didn't start the disrespectful behavior), being lazy (try anything labor intensive with an 18 month old around - and besides, I didn't require quick fixes as is suggested). I also take offense to the comment that my posts are "weird, complaints or just smart ass, etc". Is that because I don't use all the jargon, or because I downloaded the chipset driver from Abit instead of Intel?

Also, "Forums are great place to research and to ask questions when you CAN'T find the answers by searching & reading on your own. But you seem to have an attitude that you're owed tech support and answers here." Well, I guess [H]ardness Supreme's can say anything they want to insignificant folks like me. Aren't the answers being offered, at least by the folks with the integrity, voluntary?

And "If you were normal person and would research the proper way to do things first, make some notes, and follow directions. I'd tell you to overclock your system to 9x333 for 3Ghz. But I don't want to be responsible for the shit storm if it doesn't work for you ." [H]ardness Supreme's get to curse and swear too. Wonder what would happen if I did that? I especially like the "If you were a normal person" comment. Kind of shows his true colors, almost as if he proferred bad advice purposely for a laugh.

Or, "Maybe your expectations are just overboard, as I haven't seen any benchmarks to support your "slowness" claims. " This, at least, got me to chuckle. I figured, why would you need to see benchmarks if I can time things with my wristwatch? If I said something like, "With all the training I've done for the mile run, I would have expected to at least equal the world record, but the best I can do is 45+ minutes", would you really need to know it was 45.342122943 minutes, or would 45+ be good enough given that it would still be like 1,000% slower than the world record?

To the GTP man, at least you tried to redeem yourself, took another slight jab, but didn't escalate - so thanks.

To all the rest who had good intentions and integrity, I think I've said thanks sincerely many times, but I will say again, thank you very much.

To Chris6969, you are indeed [H}ardness Supreme for a reason, you a clearly a hard man period. Stay classy, and keep on cursing.

Over and out.
 
I think this got out of hand when people were just overthinking the whole situation. people were digging way to deep for issues and blaming specific hardware when really if hardware is bad, usually it just fails to work. I've never seen bad hardware slow down a system without throwing warning signs all over the place. I think you are going to find that the new hd helps you out a lot, and you really never had to jump through as many hoops as you did.
 
1. Where did I "curse"? lol

2. I don't know what you're doing wrong, but you seem to have problems even running ram at its stock rated speed.

3. I said its seems like you're lazy and you seem to have attitude, but I left it open that MAYBE I was misinterpretting it, b/c its hard to detect tone in posts (text). And once again you get all pissy. So I'm pretty sure I was right now. You use having a kid as an excuse for not being able to take the time to run a few tests. I just helped a complete noob (my cousin) build a system. He has 2 toddlers. All I basically did was tell him what parts to buy (e8400 + P5kE), and suggested a few things. He on his own managed to do a better wiring job than I've ever done, overclocked to 4Ghz (when I only got 3.9Ghz) and researched and told me about a few apps that I hadn't even heard of (b/c he uses Vista and couldn't use all the same apps as me).

4. We're actually very helpful here, and talk in normal non-technical english. Try hanging at Xtremesystems.org where everyone knows what every one of the 30 different ram timings do and the people are from all over the world so the english is broken quite often!

Good luck with setting things up.

If you want to read and do the research here is a good link to get educated on the IP-35: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147163&highlight=Abit+IP35 its only 254 pages of info. ;)

I read hundreds of pages for the past 2 motherboards that I've owned. (Gigabyte DS3 and Asus P5K-E)

Maybe you can start all over with this.

List DETAILED what all parts you have in your system. (include model #'s like for the ram so we can tell exactly what speed, SPD, etc.) also what BIOS revision for the motherboard, everything, what heatsink, Power Supply, Case, etc.

Then tell us how you installed XP on your system. I assume you've reinstalled XP again since you got the new harddrive right? Please tell us the exact order you didi.
 
I'm assuming you are using your old HDD. Did you do a fresh OS install when you brought the old HDD over to your new system?
 
Back
Top