Major Nelson Unboxes The Xbox One

Why would anyone be concerned? It is a matter of FACT that damn near everyone on this board has a gmail account which does exactly that. Half the people here have android phones doing exactly that. We have given up a certain amount of our freedom in exchange for a service. At any point if someone decides to throw a sex toy party in their living room they can unplug the Xbox, just like if you were going to do something's you would not send them through your email.

So your argument is that since we're already being spied on what's wrong with a little more spying? You already have a camera on your phone so why not have one in your living room and/or bedroom as well! Right?

This is the main thing being discussed. MS WILL use the Kinect in a way that you don't want it to. As its already been pointed out it the fact that if you can disable the Kinect then why would MS still require you to have it connected? Why? What's the point? Why do they NEED the "disabled" Kinect to still be connected at all times?

I'll tell you why. It's because it's never fully disabled. If it were you wouldn't need it.

I'll just say this and get off (gotta do some work here). Yeah, the "sheep" thing is degrading and annoying. Obviously calling people names aren't going to win any opinions or change anyone's thoughts but...

With all of the things that have been revealed, can ANYONE at least give some credence to the "tinfoilers?" Are you not at least slightly concerned about the fact that the Xbox One is going to actively monitor your living room to advertise to you? Personally, I think it's a little frightening that these things are being pushed onto us - even if it is for advertising. Advertising - when used properly - can be very dangerous. It seeks to manipulate your mind so as to influence your buying power. There are tons of studies out there that show that advertising is carefully selected to get you at the subconscious level. That stupid commercial you just saw is brilliantly and cleverly constructed to impact you at your deepest levels of thinking. Do you really want that in your house?

Many new devices are being pushed into consumer products that are for the sole purpose of monitoring people. Intel has a camera in their set-top box that watches you while you watch TV, to name one. Sure the argument goes - "if you don't want it, don't get it." But at this point, I'm afraid that there will be little choice left in the matter as more and more consumer devices start carrying these surveillance cameras. Speaking from personal perspective - I don't like it. I just want to be left alone. What's wrong with coming home from work and wanting to be free and away from all that garbage? Hell - you can't even go to your local WalMart without seeing those stupid flat-panel TV's they have pumping even more advertisements in your face. Why would I want that in my home? Why can't I just be left alone? Why must these companies monitor us?

Even if we get off the whole NSA thing - do you really want corporations watching you? If you do - that's fine. I'm sorry if I sound too preachy. I was just trying to convey the "other side" of the argument in a non-inflammatory way. Personally, I don't want any large corporations (let alone the NSA) in bed with me.

And for the record - no - we don't have television. Most programming on TV these days is pure garbage, and that is not something that I want to influence my thinking.

Quoted for emphasis.

Agreed. I'd rather see a video of him being fed through a wood chipper feet first.
tumblr_m1ey0diEuv1ro5lgfo1_500.gif

So your argument is that since we're already being spied on what's wrong with a little more spying? You already have a camera on your phone so why not have one in your living room and/or bedroom as well! Right?

This is the main thing being discussed. MS WILL use the Kinect in a way that you don't want it to. As its already been pointed out it the fact that if you can disable the Kinect then why would MS still require you to have it connected? Why? What's the point? Why do they NEED the "disabled" Kinect to still be connected at all times?

I'll tell you why. It's because it's never fully disabled. If it were you wouldn't need it.
Or because they want developers to use it, if they allow you to pull it out then they might as well not even bundled it developers can't except it to be just there connected so they can prompt you for kinect-tivity(i hate myself for using that "word").

Or because they want developers to use it, if they allow you to pull it out then they might as well not even bundled it developers can't except it to be just there connected so they can prompt you for kinect-tivity(i hate myself for using that "word").

If that were so, a simple "This game has Kinect features. If you wish to use these features, please plug in your Kinect now" would work. Otherwise, what's the difference between having it "off" and being prompted to turn it "on" vs having it unplugged and being prompted to plug it in?

Why does your android phone need to be connected in order to do various searches etc? Because they want to spy on you, so what we accept that and deal with it in exchange for the service. If you care so much don't buy an Xbox I don't care and I don't think most really do, if they did then gmail wouldn't be one of the worlds biggest email providers, and android wouldn't be the worlds most used phone OS. Second I am pretty sure MS will need to disclose what they do, they aren't going to be stupid enough to open themselves up to huge law suits.

But look realistically at the world, google discloses and even claims damn near everything you run through gmail. Yet does it stop them from dominating the email market?

You're the one that wants to say fallacy fallacy your argument is wrong. You also claimed straw man on this Which is not an argument atm where is it's premise and conclusion, the conclusion is left out it's left to you to assume that tape over camera = disabled. The fallacy committed then would be "begs the question" but instead you claim strawman. Furthermore in restructured to it you restructured your original list of simple statements to include new information so even if it was strawman you'd be a fault for poorly forming your group of statements.

Still you present no evidence, all you have is a statement based off your own authority meaning it has no greater relevance to the topic then anyone else. Unless you can provide evidence (links atleast) of someone with greater authority/proof or you yourself have the credentials to support such claims. If you want to try to have pseudo authority by claiming "logic" back it up with proper logic. Meaning premises into conclusion not flat out statements.

Instead again you insert lines like this, So an attack on the person not an argument just a personal attack. So why don't you read a book on logic before you start calling people out on fallacies.

Passing off your claims as truth and anyone questioning it is wrong is not logic that's just an ego trip.

So you are now quoting things I never said and claiming I said them...This is Rich. I never said anything about putting tape over the camera, and as such that basically renders most of your argument in this post moot. Tell you what, when you can Actually take the words "I" posted and form a logical argument against them, I will address it. Until then I will just consider you another fanboy trolling the forums for your favorite console.

The info has been posted here more times than I care to count and it is easily googled. Sorry if I don't feel like posting links 100 times for the people too lazy to bother doing some research. The fact that so many on this forum are repeating the same info I am and there are still a few of you sticking your fingers in your ears shouting "LALALALALA" is just laughable. Also DPI posted one of the literally Dozens of statements directly from MS.

Kinect could detect how many users are in the room and could serve advertisements aimed at families, groups, or individuals. Additional information from your Xbox LIVE account could also influence these by using metrics such as your gender, age, location, media habits and more, and Microsoft are very aware of the potential around this.

““With the new Xbox One, the technology and Kinect has improved a lot,” commented the Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising, “so that actually the voice recognition, the way you speak to your Xbox and the transition between gaming and watching TV is a lot smoother, and hopefully we can transpire that into advertising that we do.”

"It’s going to be an exciting transition though because the 360 console wasn’t built with advertising in mind, it was more of an afterthought, so we’ve had to adapt to the technology and how we work to fit them in to the console,” said Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising, “whereas this new one is going to have advertising in mind. So a lot of the limitations that we have now, hopefully the release of the boundaries will have widened so the opportunities will be a lot greater.”

http://www.sticktwiddlers.com/2013/0...ising-in-mind/

Why does your android phone need to be connected in order to do various searches etc? Because they want to spy on you, so what we accept that and deal with it in exchange for the service. If you care so much don't buy an Xbox I don't care and I don't think most really do, if they did then gmail wouldn't be one of the worlds biggest email providers, and android wouldn't be the worlds most used phone OS. Second I am pretty sure MS will need to disclose what they do, they aren't going to be stupid enough to open themselves up to huge law suits.

But look realistically at the world, google discloses and even claims damn near everything you run through gmail. Yet does it stop them from dominating the email market?

Fucking maddd stupid argument. Why does my phone need to be connected in order to search? Are you fucking kidding me? How the shit else am I supposed to search for something if I'm not connected?

Wow...just wow...Xbox One fanboism AT IT'S ABSOLUTE FINEST!!!

Yeah, don't want to talk to my T.V. either. Especially at 2 A.M. when the woman is sleeping.

Goddamn, even on a good day I still have no interest in the new Xbox. I guess PC and PS4 really are the only good choice for those just looking to simply play some damn games.

I prefer PC gaming and have a monster rig, but my beloved NHL series is only on consoles so I always end up getting a console. After owning xbox systems for 12 years, I have come to the same exact conclusion. My PS4 is on pre-order and I will not be getting an xbone ever. I am disgusted by MS xbone antics and ashamed that I supported them for so long. At least I have solice in the fact that I also supported Sony with PS1, PS2, PS3 and now a PS4 purchase.

So you are now quoting things I never said and claiming I said them...This is Rich. I never said anything about putting tape over the camera, and as such that basically renders most of your argument in this post moot. Tell you what, when you can Actually take the words "I" posted and form a logical argument against them, I will address it. Until then I will just consider you another fanboy trolling the forums for your favorite console.

The info has been posted here more times than I care to count and it is easily googled. Sorry if I don't feel like posting links 100 times for the people too lazy to bother doing some research. The fact that so many on this forum are repeating the same info I am and there are still a few of you sticking your fingers in your ears shouting "LALALALALA" is just laughable. Also DPI posted one of the literally Dozens of statements directly from MS.
The quote you posted says nothing about when you turn it off. And the link you provied is broken
If that were so, a simple "This game has Kinect features. If you wish to use these features, please plug in your Kinect now" would work. Otherwise, what's the difference between having it "off" and being prompted to turn it "on" vs having it unplugged and being prompted to plug it in?
Willing ness to use goes up and down with ease of use. I bet having to get up off the couch to pull out of a dower the kinect and plug it is would cut down a large portion of people willingness to use a feature or atleast try it out.

Willing ness to use goes up and down with ease of use. I bet having to get up off the couch to pull out of a dower the kinect and plug it is would cut down a large portion of people willingness to use a feature or atleast try it out.

Good. Kinect isn't needed anyways.

The way i look at the kinect being forced to be still connected to the xboxone is the same way i look at the ps3 having to support 3d tv because it's part of the sony ecosystem and thus has to play with their tv's even if rarely ever used. It's influencing customers to use features.

I also wonder if dekoth-E actually goes back to gather context to what he posts, the so called "quoting things i didn't even posted". I quoted it because dekoth-E responded to the quote calming straw-man; that is what the problem revolves around and what the whole topic of that post is about. But apparently because i didn't nest that quote and quote in full his response to that quote only summarized it; it's laughable.

DPI's post is #75 the post dekoth-E responding to is post #70 what DPI posted comes well after the post dekoth-E is responding to yet dekoth-E expects that post to take into account DPI's post. Even though DPI's post has nothing to do with what's wrong with dekoth-E posting habits.

Personally I don't hold "because, people" as that great of a reason for anything, really :p It smells too much of a "we know what's best for you" or "we're removing options from you to help us" mentality from designers. If someone doesn't bother to plug in something they paid $100 for, it's a good bet they don't want to use it. If in the future the device's appeal changes, then they can change their mind and plug it in.

Just my feelings, though. Some people will prefer this method.

Good. Kinect isn't needed anyways.
Well the point is intent, if you can turn off the kinect why not allow it to be unplugged when not used. My point is inflicting the customers use of the kinect, the opposing point is because it's not really turned off. Because no one has provided a real post proving that when the kinect is turned off it's not really turned off, my explanation is just about as possible.

What is being posted is someone saying microsoft is spying on you, see they confirm that they wish to spy on you. Yet it discounts nothing has been said on what happens when you turn off the kinect only that it can't be unplugged while the system is running. And by virtue of it not being able to unplug it and because microsoft said advertisement and kinect in the same sentence they must be spying on you that's why you can't unplug it.

So what is more possible microsoft continues to spy on you when you turn off the kinect because they are willing to mislead/lie to you and face down lawsuits, or they simply did some research into consumer habits and concluded that if they force you to keep the kinect connect you're more likely to use it and that is something they want. One assumes malice while the other is just misunderstanding intent.

The bottom line is Microsoft failed to "sell" the Kinect to the masses and instead of letting it die and go to the graveyard of failed products, they have opted to "CRAM" it down the consumer's throat. I predict, the K2 is going to end up being a greater product & PR disaster than the former reigning champ of failed products, The Sega CD.

Very good point, and I have been fooled by advertising more than once. If it was more targeted to me, and at a time when I was more receptive to it (maybe just got done playing a game with guns, and a nice shiny new AR10 commercial was played, I'd be more interested in it - least probably scenario, I know!). That's good for the shareholders. For the consumer? I don't know.

It's more tailored to your individual tastes and what you are doing instead of a blanket style advertising campaign like standard TV. I'm sure many will fall for the tactics, but others might not. The ethics of the whole thing are debatable. I can't say I agree or disagree with them. I don't like them, but I can't say they aren't a good idea from a business standpoint.

I can deal with them taking my search queries (Google/Bing) and tailoring ads based on that, or my search history. That's my payment for the service. But, to play a game or watch a movie that I already paid for? And by video monitoring my actions and play area? That's quite a bit of overreach there, in my opinion.

I'll just say this and get off (gotta do some work here). Yeah, the "sheep" thing is degrading and annoying. Obviously calling people names aren't going to win any opinions or change anyone's thoughts but...

With all of the things that have been revealed, can ANYONE at least give some credence to the "tinfoilers?" Are you not at least slightly concerned about the fact that the Xbox One is going to actively monitor your living room to advertise to you? Personally, I think it's a little frightening that these things are being pushed onto us - even if it is for advertising. Advertising - when used properly - can be very dangerous. It seeks to manipulate your mind so as to influence your buying power. There are tons of studies out there that show that advertising is carefully selected to get you at the subconscious level. That stupid commercial you just saw is brilliantly and cleverly constructed to impact you at your deepest levels of thinking. Do you really want that in your house?

Many new devices are being pushed into consumer products that are for the sole purpose of monitoring people. Intel has a camera in their set-top box that watches you while you watch TV, to name one. Sure the argument goes - "if you don't want it, don't get it." But at this point, I'm afraid that there will be little choice left in the matter as more and more consumer devices start carrying these surveillance cameras. Speaking from personal perspective - I don't like it. I just want to be left alone. What's wrong with coming home from work and wanting to be free and away from all that garbage? Hell - you can't even go to your local WalMart without seeing those stupid flat-panel TV's they have pumping even more advertisements in your face. Why would I want that in my home? Why can't I just be left alone? Why must these companies monitor us?

Even if we get off the whole NSA thing - do you really want corporations watching you? If you do - that's fine. I'm sorry if I sound too preachy. I was just trying to convey the "other side" of the argument in a non-inflammatory way. Personally, I don't want any large corporations (let alone the NSA) in bed with me.

And for the record - no - we don't have television. Most programming on TV these days is pure garbage, and that is not something that I want to influence my thinking.

The bottom line is Microsoft failed to "sell" the Kinect to the masses and instead of letting it die and go to the graveyard of failed products, they have opted to "CRAM" it down the consumer's throat. I predict, the K2 is going to end up being a greater product & PR disaster than the former reigning champ of failed products, The Sega CD.

Dude. Don't say the Sega CD was a champion of failed products. Just don't. :(:(:(:(:( 32X, sure. But, not the Sega CD. I worked my ass off for a month after school to earn $299 for that thing (still have it, too!). It was and still is a great system with some awesome games (Sonic CD... Sherlock Holmes was good, too). (Sega Fanboy, here. Sega CD was one of my first huge purchases that I cannot regret due to the fanboyism).

Fucking maddd stupid argument. Why does my phone need to be connected in order to search? Are you fucking kidding me? How the shit else am I supposed to search for something if I'm not connected?

Wow...just wow...Xbox One fanboism AT IT'S ABSOLUTE FINEST!!!

Sorry if in your rage you missed the part where I said various searches, which to me was local searches and being able to do voice search. There are many local files and items on my phone, and if I tried to use voice search it just does nothing. I am not talking about an internet search. Same with email that is suppose to be local, I have all the emails just sitting there on my phone in my inbox and I know one of them has a word in it, I try to search google says forget it.

Keep drinking that kool-aid. Meanwhile there are zero kinect launch titles.

Where did you manage to pull that one out of? Obviously you havent even bothered to look at any launch games.
Many of the Xbox One games integrate Kinect. Dead Rising 3, for instance, will allow gamers to use the Kinect to shout at zombies or make other noises to distract them. Ryse: Son of Rome is a controller-based game that integrates Kinect into the experience and looks altogether too heavy on the Quick Time Events (QTE’s) though we’ll see when it releases.

Forza Motorsport 5 makes use of both the Kinect and Microsoft’s cloud technology in what Andy Robertson describes as a pretty impressive experience. For Killer Instinct, the Kinect can determine exactly who happens to be playing at any given time, and automatically switch over to your preferred button-mapping, favorite character, and so forth.

Simply by picking up the controller the Kinect can get all the data it needs—which is remarkable, to be sure, and a little unsettling.

In any case, the Xbox One games all, to one degree or another, make direct use of the Kinect 2.0 and this, more than anything else, is what sets these games apart from the competition. It’s no wonder, really, that Microsoft is selling the second Kinect as a mandatory piece of the package.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/07/28/xbox-one-vs-ps4-launch-title-line-up/

These are examples of what Ive been saying. Without a mandatory Kinect, there would be no way to know without a doubt that the user has the Kinect. Again, if someone could unplug it, many would lose or sell them. Then they wouldn't be able to play certain aspects of games, or in some possible cases, play a game at all.

I have both consoles pre-ordered, and have all three last gen consoles, as well as a PC. They all have their merits, and this will continue with the next gen.

I also have no problem paying for live. Ive never paid more then $35 for a year subscription, and they give you two free games a month. So call it $3/m for online play and two games. I really dont see the issue. Ive only played maybe a dozen hours on PS3 online because of the service, and I know no one that plays it online. In contrast, it has some great single player experiences. Only a "fanboy" would try to dispute that Microsoft has the better online experience.

Dude in the video seems like a major dick, his boice is fooking annoying.

Damn no edit button, That would be Voice that I meant.

Typing on a ipad is gay.

I can't believe that people are just gonna ignore the fact that the Kinect has to be connected all the time to watch you.

These are examples of what Ive been saying. Without a mandatory Kinect, there would be no way to know without a doubt that the user has the Kinect. Again, if someone could unplug it, many would lose or sell them. Then they wouldn't be able to play certain aspects of games, or in some possible cases, play a game at all.

Relaxing on a sweat covered lazy boy, half naked in sticky underwear, sipping a chalace of the finest Grand Mariner served up by a drugged midget slave boy named Rufus, as images of China white asian women drinking milky pleasure sauce out of large buckets flash across a discarded tablet screen thats resting on a spent hairy thigh, all the while beastly screams bellow stage left from an unseen shakled cellar door would pose an interesting buffet for custom tailored Kinect advertising.

Personally, I would like to buy an xbox one so Kinect can watch me play PS4 :p

Actually the best new fro Xbox1 came with John Carmack saying that there is not much difference between Xbox1 and PS4 hardware wise.

Better yet upload the video of you playing the PS4 to your XBOXOne account and if enough people do this it'll overload their servers...

I have such an underwhelming response to this new generation of consoles. They are both playing it safe in the market today. Neither of them is doing anything truly groundbreaking with these devices. At least Nintendo is trying.

I don't feel wow'd by either of these offerings. From MS or From PS.

Perhaps some of the games coming out will wow me?

I can't believe that people are just gonna ignore the fact that the Kinect has to be connected all the time to watch you.

That's one of the biggest complaints about it for many people, myself included. Don't make it mandatory to be connected, let me unplug it and still be able to use my machine, and I am fine with it. The requirement to have it on, plugged in, and not covered is way too intrusive. Sure, it says it's off, but I'm not sure how much I really trust that. If it's really off, why can't I unplug it and still play games? What is the difference?

That's one of the biggest complaints about it for many people, myself included. Don't make it mandatory to be connected, let me unplug it and still be able to use my machine, and I am fine with it. The requirement to have it on, plugged in, and not covered is way too intrusive. Sure, it says it's off, but I'm not sure how much I really trust that. If it's really off, why can't I unplug it and still play games? What is the difference?

It scans your face to make sure you are the registered owner, otherwise it won't work.

Yep, and the lengths that people will go to to try and justify it is also astonishing. But it's a fun read tho.. a lot of funny in those threads

Yep, and the lengths that people will go to to try and justify it is also astonishing. But it's a fun read tho.. a lot of funny in those threads

fzEl77I.png

about sums it up

DEAR INTERNET YOU RAGED ABOUT THE WRONG THING NOW YOU GET LIVE WITH IT

At least Nintendo is trying.

Huh? Trying how? Because they added a screen to the controller...wow...that's simply game changing isn't it! :rolleyes:

If Nintendo really wanted to try they wouldn't have used slight faster current-gen hardware for their next-gen competitor.

Huh? Trying how? Because they added a screen to the controller...wow...that's simply game changing isn't it! :rolleyes:

If Nintendo really wanted to try they wouldn't have used slight faster current-gen hardware for their next-gen competitor.
I think nintendo problem is not just the hardware power but their unconventional controls i mean you want a developer to just get frazzled having to invest more time into mocking up ui and layout possibilities etc just for your special controls? The problem i find with all these unconvental control layouts it's not that 3rd party developers don't really invest in them they are looking to port the game to like pc, 360 and ps3. Why would they want to bother with more layouts. Instead of making the kinect, eye, wii motion crap proprietary make it available on all systems then you'll get 3rd parties more willing to take a look out side of the very niche games. Only way such unique control schemes work is when you're dominating the market and the drop out rate for software is high(number of games bought over their ownership of the game).

about sums it up

Ugg not this dude. The always on Kinect has been my #1 problem since day one.

I could be sold on the digital game library idea if they offered substantial discounts for the digital versions versus hard copy versions, if they offered pre-downloaded midnight release digital launches and if you could trade or sell your digital game version rights. If MS did all of that and got rid of the mandatory Kinect, they would of had my business for at least TWO xbones, but thats not what their agenda is isnt it :eek:

fzEl77I.png

about sums it up

Kind of funny that people don't know the different between the PC situation and the xb1 situation by now.

The quote you posted says nothing about when you turn it off. And the link you provied is broken

The link is broken because it was just a copy/paste from a previous post of one of the many official quotes on the XB1. As I said, I really don't have the time or desire to fight trolls who can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds on google or bing or whatever other search engine you might be using.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-ones-kinect-can-turn-off-microsoft-says-noting-510100564

Microsoft has several official comments in that article on just how the kinect works. Fact is unless you Completely POWER Down the entire console, it is on. Yes they claim it is only listening for a couple commands, but given the shit they tried to pull I won't be trusting them anytime soon. Quit trying to pretend you don't know this, honestly the oblivious act isn't convincing anyone. This shit was all over the media for weeks because MS flatly overstepped their bounds. If you want more information, get off your lazy ass and do some searching. I only responded because I am more than a little tired of the fanboys spreading outright lies trying to defend their console. As for the rest of your posts, they basically degenerated into incomprehensible drivel, so no I will not continue entertaining your trolling. My original point stands as none of you have been able to refute it. The reason why is simple, because it is just the fact of what the system is. The only viable excuse for buying one is "I just don't give a damn about privacy". Mark my words though, one day you will and it will be too late.

Back