• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Major computer problems

Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
15
I was siting at my computer playing Eve Online earlier, when all of a sudden my computer rebooted.
It ran as normal and got to the "Normal or Safe Mode" screen. I chose normal , and it rebooted while the loading bar was scrolling at the bottom of the screen. Next time, I tried safe mode and it didn't fare any better, rebooting with some text on the screen, and before showing the cursor or windows logo.

After this I turned off the computer and left it for 20 minutes, then tried booting again.
After several tries: Normal mode was the same as before, while safe mode got to varying positions before rebooting, just getting to the windows desktop before rebooting in the best case.

I tried running Memtest from CD -- over several tries, this resulted in reboot by test 3 at the latest, without displaying any errors.

The BIOS had not lost settings and it detected the cpu, memory, gpu and drives as normal.
I haven't moved the computer or added/removed any hardware recently, and a quick look inside reveals no loose cables or burning smells. Nothing is overclocked.

Since then I've tried:

Taking out one stick of ram - no dice, memtest takes a bit longer to reboot
Using just a 256MB stick of pc5400 - no further improvement
Removed soundcard - no improvement
Replaced 8800 with Voodoo 4 4500 PCI - Manages to get to desktop in safe mode, reboots within 5 seconds. Still reboots whilst running memtest.

I suppose I have a dying motherboard, any thoughts?
 
Could you list all of the components of your rig (including the case, power supply, and monitor)?
 
Whoops sorry, this is a new account and I forgot to update my sig.

My rig: e6400, 2*2GB OCZ PC6400, Gigabyte GA-965P DS3, 8800gts 512MB, Samsung Spinpoint 500GB, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, Seasonic S12 430W, Samsung Syncmaster 930BF+Generic Dell 19" CRT, P180.
 
Your power supply could be under a lot of strain and wanting to reboot, but with all your testing I would probably put the blame on your mobo.
 
kmS brought up a good point: it may be a combination of both the motherboard and the power supply straining under the load. The Seasonic S12 430W PSU generates about 30A from its 12V rails (the NewEgg listing is incorrect -- I found the accurate figures from Seasonic's website) and the G92 8800GTS uses approximately 26A of power (under load).

If you can, see if you could get a power supply of at least 500 watts (with active PFC and having around 40A or more power on its 12V rails) and see if everything runs smoothly with that. Otherwise, it could very well be your motherboard starting to fall apart.
 
Well that would mean that the power supply has actually been damaged by strain, as it's not working even with a really basic graphics card. I do have a spare 400w psu, I'll have a go with that.
 
Test your computer out with the PCI video card and your spare 400W PSU. However, don't use the 400W PSU with the 8800GTS -- the 8800GTS may be too powerful for it.

If you are still have problems with rebooting and running things properly with this latest swap, then you definitely have a problem with the motherboard. Regardless, you may want to consider also acquiring a more powerful power supply (assuming you eventually have to buy a new motherboard).
 
Well, with my 400w psu, both sticks of ocz, the sound card and the voodoo it seems to work just fine, so I guess it's the psu that's the real problem. I was thinking of this psu to replace it, what do you think?
 
An update: I ended up buying this psu. I set it all up and now I can boot into windows just fine, but it's still rebooting. :(

So far I've tested Eve Online (reboots after about 30 seconds) and Orthos small ffts (reboots after a few minutes).
 
The RAM, GPU and PSU have been ruled out so that leaves the HDD, mobo and CPU.

Google, download, burn to a CD and run Drive Fitness Test from Hitachi's website to see if there's anything wrong with the hard drive.
 
I ran memtest for 12 hours without errors but it still reboots during games intensive programs like orthos.
I burned a bootable iso of that drive fitness test but the test couldn't find any devices?
I don't think the cpu is overheating, according to coretemp it's not going over 43C abd that seems reasonable as i've got an ultra 120 extreme on it.

It seems to me that I've got a dying mobo or a dying cpu, which is most likely?
 
I ran memtest for 12 hours without errors but it still reboots during games intensive programs like orthos.
I burned a bootable iso of that drive fitness test but the test couldn't find any devices?
I don't think the cpu is overheating, according to coretemp it's not going over 43C abd that seems reasonable as i've got an ultra 120 extreme on it.

It seems to me that I've got a dying mobo or a dying cpu, which is most likely?

A dying mobo is going to be a lot more likely than a dying CPU, I'd look to upgrading your out-dated 965 chipset anyways ;), or just try to RMA the board for another one.
 
Well I've just checked and the motherboard is out of warranty, so I'll have to buy a new one. I don't intend to upgrade my cpu/ram for at least a year so with that in mind, is there any reason to go with a more expensive motherboard than this one?
 
I agree with kmS. The GA-EP43-DS3L will give you more options, for now and in the long term, than the GA-P31-DS3L.
 
You said it worked with the old power supply when u changed cards then you bought another power supply with basically the same power you had. Im running almost same set up as you but got a 500 watt power supply with 36 amps. i still think you have a power problem.
 
Back
Top