mail server software

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
whjats a good free mail server software for a beginner? like a nice little email server i can also use with a domain so i have a domain name and can make my own email. also i need it to be for windows not linux.

Anybody else shudder, physically, when they read that post?

Mail server software is not something you should be "starting slow" on. If it's on windows, it's insecure due to the OS, and a haven for spammers.

Find someone to host your email, or take the time and energy to learn how to do it right ( *nix/*bsd, sendmail/qmail/postfix ).

Have to agree with XOR on this.

Do not put up a public facing mail server if you do not take the time to learn about them. You are just asking to be a host for spammers.

Do it properly or not at all.
QED

Just ask me. I thought everything was going great with my new windows based mail system. That is, untill i got a call from my isp.

"Any idea why you're sending hundreds of thousands of emails per day?" - ISP
"Uhhhhhh. No idea" - Me
"You weren't trying to run a SMPT server, right?" - ISP
"Uhhhhhh. Whats that?" - Me, as I run to power down my servers.

anyone with half a brain can close an open relay, just read the documentation.

to the OP, i used mdaemon for awhile, and it worked fine. then i moved it over to linux.

AMD_Gamer said:
im behind IPCOP with copfilter does that help :rolleyes:

and in response, no, not unless you configure your mail server correctly to not allow relays

AMD_Gamer said:
im behind IPCOP with copfilter does that help :rolleyes:
the fact that you asked that question means you need to do some more reading.

Short Answer: NO

XOR != OR said:
If it's on windows, it's insecure due to the OS, and a haven for spammers.

Yes, because *nix is the ONLY way to do anything securely on the internet. :rolleyes:

Running it on windows is not an issue if you know what you are doing. Hell exchange works well in many cases. Anyway a few things you need to know about mail servers.

Do not run an open mail relay. This will bog down the system and slow your ass down.

With any machine with open access to the net like that keep it updated and for an email server have an av in place(windows or unix)

Many ISPs block the ip ranges of home internet connections for email as most comming from them is spam from malware. You may need to relay your messages though your isps mailservers or use a 3rd party service. I've had to do this at a few places that have just a business dsl line as the connection to the net.

If you want it to be nice and easy just pay for a mail host. I wish I could recomend a good windows software but pretty much I've only used exchange and sendmail/qmail.

ccarrigan said:
Yes, because *nix is the ONLY way to do anything securely on the internet. :rolleyes:
Let's see; An OS where administrator access is required to run most programs OR an OS that actually understand seperation of privledges.

Well, don't keep me in suspense; Which one is more secure?

don't turn this into a windows vs. linux debate, we only have about 700 of those on the board.

anyways, like i said before, mdaemon is an excellent windows mail server. just make sure you don't make it an open relay.

also, swatbat is right. i have to forward my outgoing mail to my ISPs smtp server, because 90% of it gets rejected coming from my home IP address.

While, I'd have to agree with the others... READ MORE!

I can't watch your original post go unanswered...

1) mailenable
2) SmarterMail

XOR != OR said:
Anybody else shudder, physically, when they read that post?

If it's on windows, it's insecure due to the OS, and a haven for spammers.
This is just ignorant. Any OS is as secure as what you let into is. If you're just doing SMTP then you're bound by whatever software is accepting the SMTP connections and whatever insecurities that might be inherent within it, not the OS. If you're OS turns out to show vulnerabilities it's because a) another app allowed that access in b) your firewall is letting that crap in or c) you're pulling crap down that you shouldn't be pulling down.

XOR != OR said:
Find someone to host your email, or take the time and energy to learn how to do it right ( *nix/*bsd, sendmail/qmail/postfix ).
I do agree here. If you want to play with an SMTP package by all means...do so but don't put one out there public for starters...you're asking for trouble that way.

Milenko said:
...mdaemon is an excellent windows mail server. just make sure you don't make it an open relay.

also, swatbat is right. i have to forward my outgoing mail to my ISPs smtp server, because 90% of it gets rejected coming from my home IP address.

I used mdaemon for a while when my exchange machine exploded, (yes there were flames, thank you for 30 day trials) and I really liked it. You can properly secure down a windows email server, but it takes some time. It is a very bad idea to go public with your email until you are 100% sure of what you are doing, no matter what OS or email program you are using.

You are really limiting yourself if you restrict yourself to one OS. There are great choices out there for both windows and linux, you need to try several out before you find the one for you.

First make sure you can setup the DNS for it, then come back and ask about the smtp server. :D

On a tagental track here, does anyone have recommendations for e-mail hosting services that one could use that support secure retrieval (SSL, etc.) of the messages?

I use geekisp.com
http://www.geekisp.com/

Pretty cheap and they support, TLS over smtp, secure POP and secure IMAP. He runs qmail on BSD machines. Also runs spamassasin with a nice setup for training it.

Back