Magnetic LEDs and hard drives

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
My wife loves lime green. One of the surprises I did for her on the livingroom HTPC was put in a green LED fan… now that I have a HP z2, there is no place for that 80mm green fan.. I bought an LED strip that uses a magnetic strip to light it up.. I’m going to put in a 2.5” mechanical HDD just because I can and it’s 1tb so why not.. will the hard drive being in the same zip code as the leds cause an issue? I’ve never used magnetic but I cannot find adhesive lights

No it won’t be an issue. I’ve had something similar for years with no problem. And the led’s I used had strong magnets (Corsair led strips)

Remember that HDDs have magnets inside that are much stronger than anything you might use to attack something to a steel case. It's fine.

My wife loves lime green. One of the surprises I did for her on the livingroom HTPC was put in a green LED fan… now that I have a HP z2, there is no place for that 80mm green fan.. I bought an LED strip that uses a magnetic strip to light it up.. I’m going to put in a 2.5” mechanical HDD just because I can and it’s 1tb so why not.. will the hard drive being in the same zip code as the leds cause an issue? I’ve never used magnetic but I cannot find adhesive lights
You'd have to wrap the drive in the magnetic LED strip and even then it might be fine. The magnets in most things you would put near your PC such as magnetic screwdrivers or LED strips, etc. just aren't typically powerful enough to negatively impact a mechanical hard drive.

Also worth noting that a strong magnet moving across a hard drive is much more likely to cause problems. A static one, far less so.

Back