• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Magical boot problem

Leopardi

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
217
Here's the problem: every time system has been shut down for X amount of hours, it's so unstable it might not even get past windows logo without rebooting. If it does, then all programs will crash and it might reboot when trying to open browser. Then it magically solves itself when I clear CMOS and select the same exact settings. Rock solid stability even at overclocks. Then same thing all over again next morning, super unstable until I clear cmos.

Any ideas? I've already ordered a new PSU because it makes a horrible whine.

Specs:

Asus Crosshair IV Formula
2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz
Phenom II X6 1090T
Samsung F3 1TB
Win 7 64bit
 
Last edited:
Memtest gives me like 100 000 errors halfway of the first pass, but after clearing the CMOS it doesn't give one even after 4 passes. So the memory should be ok right?
 
This morning I removed the other stick instead of clearing CMOS and everything ran fine and memtest didn't give a single error halfway through.

If there's no errors with the other stick either when I try tomorrow, the problem must be in the PSU?
 
This morning I removed the other stick instead of clearing CMOS and everything ran fine and memtest didn't give a single error halfway through.

If there's no errors with the other stick either when I try tomorrow, the problem must be in the PSU?

Doesn't sound like a PSU issue at all. Now it sounds more like a mobo issue from what you've said so far.
 
Ok it's reproduceable with both of the sticks. I'm gonna try get a DDR3 stick somewhere to make sure it's the memory not mobo.
 
I reseated the memory slots to the red ones again and now it doesn't boot even after resetting the CMOS. It shows a BSOD for 0.01 secs after it crashes in windows loading screen but so far I have only managed to catch the word "hard". Can I get it to stay somehow?

And a new PSU didn't have any effect on the situation.
 
Last edited:
Hmm if the PC refuses to boot into Windows, not much you can do there.

Try to figure out if it's the mobo or RAM now. Oh and be prepared to do a reinstall of the OS as well after you figure out which one is the issue. I've had mobo and RAM issues corrupt an OS install in the past.
 
Reinstalled windows with a G.Skill stick and left if shut for a few hours - it booted fine. Then I put the OCZ and it was stuck with a black screen after windows logo, then I tried the other one and it just BSOD'd. After this we put the G.Skill stick and after startup repair everything ran normally.

I managed to boot with the OCZ sticks after that but I guess this all points the memory is cause of all the problems?
 
Yeah sounds like a RAM issue to me if the G.Skill worked fine but the OCZ didn't.
 
I managed to get it working :eek: I changed tRFC timing from 110ns to 300ns. Is it too high or should I keep it?
 
Run Memtest again to see whether or not the RAM/BIOS can maintain that timing.
 
Back
Top