MacOS Nemesis build. Need advice

Powertrip

n00b
slright do this idea came about before the new Mac Pro was announced but is still the theme for my build.

Back in the 90s, the top of the line Mac for certain workloads was actually a clone made by Daystar called the Genesis MP+ Costing an even $10,000. It had quad 604e COUs and was housed in an at the time giant case. Over the years I’ve acquired two of them. And it got me thinking.

If I were to make a modern day equivalent, what would it be?

I’ve purchased the case, a Thermaltake W100. I wanted Caselabs but they went out of business before I could buy.

I can’t justify the new XEON platform for cost so I’m looking at C299

I’ve narrowed it down to the EVGA X299 Dark, Asus Rampage Omega, or the Asus WS boards for X299

Ignoring cost at this point now I’d love feedback on which motherboard people think would fit the theme of what I’m trying to do. I will end up running MacOS on it in dual boot with Windows and know people have had success with Asus boards on the X299 platform.

All opinions welcome

I think the most important thing is likely to be how resistant OSX is to running on any given board, and not necessarily how fancy the hardware is.

There is, generally speaking, not anything special about Apple's hardware (other than their displays, which tend to be great). It's OSX that's the secret sauce, and you need to consider which board is most compatible with that, since they don't provide drivers for just any old motherboard.

Take a look at this thread. It looks like this guy used an Asus WS board.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...1014-mojave-successful-buildsuccessful-guide/

I would argue, though, that unless you have some particular task that can only be accomplished on OSX, you're WAY better off not putting yourself through the frustration of building a Hackintosh, which was a pain in the ass a year ago when I last attempted, and gets harder with every revision of the OS.

Yeah I’m familiar with the site. All my PC builds get OSX since I prefer it to work. And just switch to windows for stuff that only runs on it

Back