macOS Catalina

Discussion in 'Apple Products' started by UnknownSouljer, Oct 24, 2019.

1. UnknownSouljer

UnknownSouljer [H]ardness Supreme

Catalina has been out for a little while now. It would be interesting to hear people's user experiences if they've upgraded.

I haven't yet, because I know it's going to break a lot of things just be being 64-bit only. However, Catalina is also one of the biggest jumps in terms of increased feature sets. So, I'm sure some have made the trade-offs and upgraded. Sidecar as an example seems particularly useful. It also has a lot more security features.

Anyway, thoughts?

2. DeChache

DeChache The ONE - Your Ignorance Annoys Me

So far so good. I need to find a new VPN app as apparently Cisco hasn't updated theirs yet.. It not as smooth as it could be (2018 15 MBP) but overall no show stopping issues

3. DSee

DSee 2[H]4U

I really like the "sidecar" feature. It is good, but PlaybackPro is broken, Adobe was broken initially..
    Tough transition..

4. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I installed it the day it came out on my MacBook Pro. Haven't had any issues, but then again I haven't really used the machine since I installed Catalina.

5. UnknownSouljer

What Mac and iPad are you using? Also do you use any creative applications with sidecar? If so, what is your experience with Apple pencil in macOS?

6. DSee

DSee 2[H]4U

Using a MBP 15" 2018, iPad mini. Haven't used sidecar for that, I use it at work a lot, leave Outlook open on the smaller iPad screen.

7. valve1138

valve1138 [H]ardForum Junkie

Been fine on my ‘18 MacBook Pro.

I don’t know what people are whining about.

8. UnknownSouljer

Mostly because Catalina removes all 32-bit support. If you don't use applications that are 32-bit and/or don't have any 32-bit dependencies, then it's probably no big deal. If you do however then it's likely that it's better to wait.
    It also broke a lot of other apps as Apple has depreciated certain types of rendering (mostly OpenGL) and has been pushing Metal to the forefront.
    There hasn't been turnover like this in macOS likely since Lion removed Rosetta support. It's the way forward, and I mostly appreciate Apple forcing devs to use newer API's and increase efficiency throughout but it is causing a lot of growing pains even among the biggest software vendors.

I'm personally still waiting as I use my machines for professional work and I can't afford to have issues with programs and playing tech support when I could and should be getting work done. Apple generally has this sort of stuff mostly sorted 3 months in. I guess it will also allow me to finish up a few more of these 32-bit games that I likely will never get a chance to play otherwise.

9. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

Are people whining?

For a personal device, with a pretty consumer-centric workload (browser, Office, email, IM, etc.) it's pretty straightforward and little changes from Mojave. A consumer user might run into a balloon about allowing notifications from an app or whatever.

In enterprise environments, where compliance may require some additional installed software (AV, Intellectual Property protection) and just apps specific to that environment, it's a different experience. These apps frequently need more intrusive access all around, and Catalina sure is spammy about it. A relatively small number of enterprise apps can generate a heck of a lot of notifications about allowing things.

The other day I needed to install Zoom, one of the 'de facto' meeting/conference softwares. The process of installing it and allowing *all* of the permissions it needed just to do a screen share was a pure annoying pain in the neck. This is not an IT neckbeard app, this is something any department could use. Every time a remote sales person asks us about Zoom and they are on Catalina, it's a bunch of "allow that, allow that, click the lock, put your password, click this, click that."

It can be easy to believe a "home user" experience should be 100% flawlessly identical to a "work user" experience. It ain't.

10. valve1138

valve1138 [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, I see people whining.