• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MacBooks Out

Argh.

Except for that damn gma950 it's perfect.
 
synergyo1 said:
The black is matte. I'm not sure about the white. Ifyou check out the link I posted above you can see the finish. It doesn't look very scratchable to me.

kind of looks like a design that predates the g3 powerbooks :confused: go figure
 
battery life anyone know how long this thing lasts? I'de be impressed if it was 6 hours like the ibook. Also anyone try photoshop on it or multi tasking like watching a dvd and doing whatever yet?
 
Glow said:
battery life anyone know how long this thing lasts? I'de be impressed if it was 6 hours like the ibook. Also anyone try photoshop on it or multi tasking like watching a dvd and doing whatever yet?

6 hours. it's a li-poly battery
 
from apple;

MacBook offers up to 6 hours of battery life. (Up to 2.5 hours of DVD playback, and up to 3.5 hours with wireless turned on.)
 
doox00 said:
they shoulda upped the res though, 1280x800. 800 is not so good I think.

I agree, I have a 15.4" widescreen Dell D800 with the same resolution, and it just feels cramped too much of the time.

What's really depressing is the 17" MacBook Pro isn't 1920x1200 like the new Dell XPS laptops offer.

Has Apple ever offered screen resolution upgrades on their lappies? Perhaps there is a small chance that we could see higher resolutions as an upgrade choice later on?
 
waddles said:
I was very excited about this product and eagerly anticipated its release, but after seeing it, no way. The integrated graphics are depressingly out of place in an otherwise great system.

This is main reason I'm just gonna pass on this and save for a macbook pro........
 
Nasty_Savage said:
I agree about the integrated graphics. Pure SHITE! Having internal graphics should lower the price point IMO. Either Apple is trying to skip one by and max profit, or they aren't getting much of a deal from Intel when it comes to these new chips. If its the former, I think they're doing themselves sort of a dis-service by not coming in a bit lower to make it a more attractive option and get the machines out in the wild, if its their Market Share they are indeed worrrying about. I'd like to know the reason for this integrated nonsense going on...is it a battery life thing? Heat? Space? WTF?

Most likely an attempt not to steal MBP sales. I mean, if you take away the larger screens, Firewire 800 on the 17" model, and better optical drives, the MacBook Pros don't have that much of an edge over the regular MacBooks, and seeing some people actually see tiny laptops as an advantage, Apple might have found itself not selling as many of it's higher end models.

Plus, it makes sense from a target market POV, the MacBook is for people wanting an occasional use machine, something light and easy to tote around to type notes on, college students, etc. The MacBookPro is intended for those who need the more serious hardware, have more intensive work to get done, or the enthusiasts who have to have the best.
 
wow, so you guys are telling me that the graphics on this thing are worse than my gf 4 on my crappy dell 8200. those graphics really do suck. will the macbooks atleast be able to run simcity4 or battlefield 1942 or atleast red alert 2?
 
feverlax said:
wow, so you guys are telling me that the graphics on this thing are worse than my gf 4 on my crappy dell 8200. those graphics really do suck. will the macbooks atleast be able to run simcity4 or battlefield 1942 or atleast red alert 2?

RA2 is 2d, anything can run that. Sure, it'll run the others, but poorly. Very poorly.

I'm typing on one of the macbooks now

the keyboard takes a bit of getting used to. but it works pretty well.
 
bahula03 said:
from apple;

MacBook offers up to 6 hours of battery life. (Up to 2.5 hours of DVD playback, and up to 3.5 hours with wireless turned on.)
good to know, anyone tried this yet cause my sony was sposed to last a whilw too but I only get 20min of wireless.
 
lopoetve said:
RA2 is 2d, anything can run that. Sure, it'll run the others, but poorly. Very poorly.

I'm typing on one of the macbooks now

the keyboard takes a bit of getting used to. but it works pretty well.

thanks, i think i can suffer with bad performance on my games since i rarely play anything other than RA2, are there anyother cons about the macbook?
 
feverlax said:
thanks, i think i can suffer with bad performance on my games since i rarely play anything other than RA2, are there anyother cons about the macbook?

Glossy screen if you aren't into that sort of thing.
 
i would be upgrading from the rig in my signature... my 14" iBook g4 1.07...

i dont game, so is the integrated graphics really going to be an issue? like if i am doing 3d rendering one day is it gonna crap out on me and go mad slow? i will be using it as my main rig, but i rarely do more than type notes, surf the net, photoshop, and play Diablo II... is it going to make a difference? im gonna try and get 750 for my iBook on eBay and upgrade to the black MacBook... your thoughts? good idea? bad idea?
 
r00 said:
i would be upgrading from the rig in my signature... my 14" iBook g4 1.07...

i dont game, so is the integrated graphics really going to be an issue? like if i am doing 3d rendering one day is it gonna crap out on me and go mad slow? i will be using it as my main rig, but i rarely do more than type notes, surf the net, photoshop, and play Diablo II... is it going to make a difference? im gonna try and get 750 for my iBook on eBay and upgrade to the black MacBook... your thoughts? good idea? bad idea?

If you don't game, then having an integrated probably doesn't make a difference, and 3d rendering relies almost entirely on the CPU, which the dual-core should be able to handle. Real-time rendering, however... might give you a bit of a problem. Currently, I modelled the columns of the Parthenon, which turned out to be around 600,000 polygons, and my X800XT started lagging really badly. So... if you're doing anything detail-oriented... then I would stay away and get a proper graphics card, a workstations card, if possible. Personally, I'm looking at the IBM T60p and the Dell Latitude 620D for this purpose.
 
oh no... anything i do is purely recreational... so it wouldnt be anything ridiculous... in fact i really havent done any 3d rendering in a couple years, just wondering in case i wanted to do it again...
 
r00 said:
oh no... anything i do is purely recreational... so it wouldnt be anything ridiculous... in fact i really havent done any 3d rendering in a couple years, just wondering in case i wanted to do it again...

well, this machine has a poor 3d graphics card.. so do not plan on anything worthwhile out of it as far as its graphical abilities, other than 2d.
 
I'm wondering why everyone is complaining about the 200$ extra for the black shell, and nobody is saying anything about the system being DUO core, as most speculation pointed towards being a SOLO core system. To me, this is definately a pleasent surprise and this notebook isn't nearly the disappointment everyone is making it out to be. Granted, it would be nice to have a better graphics card and maybe a higher resolution...but I'd rather have a core duo, rather than a core solo with a better graphics card and bit better screen. I'm guessing they had to make a few cuts here and there to save on price and keep it in that iBook price bracket.
 
r00 said:
oh no... anything i do is purely recreational... so it wouldnt be anything ridiculous... in fact i really havent done any 3d rendering in a couple years, just wondering in case i wanted to do it again...
3D rendering is done entirely on the CPU, so GMA950 or dual Geforce 7900 Ultras doesn't make much of a difference.
 
Black Morty Rackham said:
3D rendering is done entirely on the CPU, so GMA950 or dual Geforce 7900 Ultras doesn't make much of a difference.

A bunch of 3d rendering programs will use the gpu but for the most part they look for a pro level card. This for the most part cuts out notebooks but you never know.
 
swatbat said:
A bunch of 3d rendering programs will use the gpu but for the most part they look for a pro level card. This for the most part cuts out notebooks but you never know.
3D modeling and 3D animation will use the GPU, but 3D rendering does not (with some exceptions). Sure, running Maya with a sub-par GPU might not be an awful lot of fun, but the actual rendering won't be slower because of it.
 
sdilley14 said:
I'm wondering why everyone is complaining about the 200$ extra for the black shell, and nobody is saying anything about the system being DUO core, as most speculation pointed towards being a SOLO core system. To me, this is definately a pleasent surprise and this notebook isn't nearly the disappointment everyone is making it out to be. Granted, it would be nice to have a better graphics card and maybe a higher resolution...but I'd rather have a core duo, rather than a core solo with a better graphics card and bit better screen. I'm guessing they had to make a few cuts here and there to save on price and keep it in that iBook price bracket.

Because they're all duo core, and yet charging $150 for a paint scheme and nicer keyboard.
 
I went over to the apple store after work to look at them and I have to say that the black one is very sexy. It reminds me a bit of a streamlined wallstreet which is, in my opinion, the best looking laptop design apple has ever produced.
The case does show fingerprints a bit, but not as bad as the shiny ibooks did and the case seems harder to scratch (although I didn't test that with the sales droid hovering). The thing felt really fast. I had all the iLife apps open at once and was popping open browser windows etc with no problems at all.
I might be looking at one of these as a replacement for my 12" powerbook.
 
swatbat said:
A bunch of 3d rendering programs will use the gpu but for the most part they look for a pro level card. This for the most part cuts out notebooks but you never know.

Yes. For fast real-time rendering of enormous number of vertices, you need a workstations class graphics card, which I'm starting to realize now.
 
after spending quite a bit of time on a black one today, three possible issues;

-the graphics card; fairly self explanatory; it handles everything preloaded just fine as well as 1080p content, but will suffer in games
-the screen; don't get me wrong the screen is great looking, bright and the resolution works well. BUT the glossy coating should really be option because it does in fact reflect EVERYTHING.
-keyboard; has a great feel to it, but the gaps in between the keys seem to throw me off a bit, YMMV.

overall, great computers that are very reasonably priced IMO.
 
lopoetve said:
Because they're all duo core, and yet charging $150 for a paint scheme and nicer keyboard.

That's true...which does suck. I guess I was expecting more people to say "YEAH! They're core duo, not core solo...and still similarly priced to the iBook!" Instead of "SHIT! The black model costs more!"
 
i think this will be a great MAC ie everything you wanna do except play games. I was hoping to use bootcamp and play bf2 but eh i guess not. I think having such crappy gfx will hurt those in college who can only have one box due to budget/space.

digital in/out-great for music with apple lossless and an external dac
bootcamp: good for assignments that use the cd that comes with textbooks
widescreen: good for dvds on the go

add the iapps and you got a solid media center lappy. hmmm now the only thing i gotta think about is getting this to replace my super slow 800mhz g4 imac or do i get a conroe system reusing some of my parts like psu case etc.
 
sdilley14 said:
That's true...which does suck. I guess I was expecting more people to say "YEAH! They're core duo, not core solo...and still similarly priced to the iBook!" Instead of "SHIT! The black model costs more!"

Oh no, it's "These kick ass! Why the fuck is the black one $150 more?!?"
 
th3rmite said:
Before someone starts trolling about price, on newegg.com you can get a similiarly equiped laptop from Asus for $1 cheaper where the only difference is a dvd burner and an extra 20GB of space on the hard drive. By the specs I would say it's not that much different than the Macbook at all. Screen is a 14 incher though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220027

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6044001/wo/Om5rBj8hkOWX2lnsqivhug4kGSi/2.?p=0

Dell Inspiron E1405
WXGA screen(as opposed to the WXGA+ upgrade)
Core Duo 1.83
512 Megs RAM
60 Gig HD
Intel 3945 802.11/a/b/g card
Bluetooth
1 Year Warranty
$1037
- $300 coupon
= $737
 
Minor plus: Probably doesn't mean anything to you US types, but there's multiple BTO keyboard language options on the MacBook over here, which wasn't the case with the iBook (local only).

Which is nice.

Crazy French and their azerty nonsense.
 
Shivetya said:
Dell Inspiron E1405
WXGA screen(as opposed to the WXGA+ upgrade)
Core Duo 1.83
512 Megs RAM
60 Gig HD
Intel 3945 802.11/a/b/g card
Bluetooth
1 Year Warranty
$1037
- $300 coupon
= $737

hardware may be a better value, but it doesn't factor in 3 things;
-build quality
-customer service/tech support
-OS X
 
does anyone think we'll see a 13.3 macbook pro? or the only 13.3s will be macbooks?
 
From the article I read on CNN.com, it sounds like the next and final system to get the Intel transition is the PowerMac G5. They said Apple's goal was to transition their entire line to Intel, and that "with the release of the MacBook, the next and final pc in their lineup to be transitioned in the PowerMac G5."
 
sdilley14 said:
From the article I read on CNN.com, it sounds like the next and final system to get the Intel transition is the PowerMac G5. They said Apple's goal was to transition their entire line to Intel, and that "with the release of the MacBook, the next and final pc in their lineup to be transitioned in the PowerMac G5."
Well duh. Everything else is already Intel-powered. It's just the Xserve and the Power Mac that's still G5, and the Xserve isn't a "PC" by any definition.


Blank:

Nobody knows. Call Steve Jobs and ask him.
 
sdilley14 said:
From the article I read on CNN.com, it sounds like the next and final system to get the Intel transition is the PowerMac G5. They said Apple's goal was to transition their entire line to Intel, and that "with the release of the MacBook, the next and final pc in their lineup to be transitioned in the PowerMac G5."

Ahem. Don't forget the xServe.
 
Black Morty Rackham said:
As I said, it's not a PC. ;)

Wouldn't you still imagine it would be transitioned over at the same time as the PowerMac G5? The reduced power and heat from Woodcrest seems like it would really benefit the Xserve's intended environment.
 
I think it's a great product for that price. The only thing I'd like to see is the glossy screen as an option (like on the MacBook Pro) -- I don't like having a glare on my laptop screen.


-Matt
 
Back
Top