MacBook Pro Update To Replace Function Keys With OLED Strip

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This kind of brings me back to what the Optimus Keyboard tried to do with its OLED keys. I like the idea of having a customizable set of keys, but I hope they designed it so it is off until tapped to minimize potential burn-in.

The most significant addition to the new MacBook Pro is a secondary display above the keyboard that replaces the standard function key row. Instead of physical keys, a strip-like screen will present functions on an as-needed basis that fit the current task or application. The smaller display will use Organic Light-Emitting Diodes, a thinner, lighter and sharper screen technology, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said earlier this year. Apple’s goal with the dedicated function display is to simplify keyboard shortcuts traditionally used by experienced users.

I remember the Optimus...looked super cool but didn't they want like $1,500 for it or something insane?

The 2nd gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon already did basically this. It wasn't popular and they reverted back to discrete keys on the next model.

Thinkpad users thought it was a gimmicky feature. But who knows, maybe Mac people will love it.

keyboard.png

Last edited:
The 2nd gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon already did basically this. It wasn't popular and they reverted back to discrete keys on the next model.

But it'll be a success when Apple does it because...you know...reasons... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't think it's gimmicky but I would think it's a pain in the ass based on the keys changing all the time forcing me to look at the keyboard to use it.

They should just replace the keyboard with an ipad pro, then..., oh wait they should just re-name the ipad pro into macbook pro and no one will notice...

Apple doesn't do very many things first. They do tend to refine good ideas though. I'm sure there implementation is going to be more polished then the previous attempts. Having said that I would bet not many people use those types of keys all that often anyway. Yes I know some people live by them... I'm just wondering how many apple customers really care other, well they may care that other people see them I guess.

You don't need to be told to love it when you've decided to invest $1500 in $600 worth of laptop.

I love these posts, it usually comes from people who have no idea what they are talking about. I would suggest looking into the laptop market before spouting nonsense next time.

I love these posts, it usually comes from people who have no idea what they are talking about. I would suggest looking into the laptop market before spouting nonsense next time.

Why? All made by Foxconn. That last gen low spec i5 is no more special than any other.

And I'm not saying that doesn't apply to overpriced Windows machines either. However, at least you do have some choice taking the Windows based route.

Why? All made by Foxconn. That last gen low spec i5 is no more special than any other.

And I'm not saying that doesn't apply to overpriced Windows machines either. However, at least you do have some choice taking the Windows based route.

Please find me a laptop with equal specs, battery life, display (always ignored when people talk about apple on here), engineering quality, and aluminum construction.

I do not use OS X because of gaming, BUT you will be hard pressed to find a $600 windows laptop that even comes close.

If they plunk the 1080 'mobile' in...in for 1...aww who am I kidding I'm broke as shit!

Thinkpad users thought it was a gimmicky feature. But who knows, maybe Mac people will love it.

keyboard.png

But it'll be a success when Apple does it because...you know...reasons... :rolleyes:

Well sometimes there are.. you know. ACTUAL reasons why things work out better with apple than others. That's the fact they control the style guide, OS, and hardware. They are in a position most PC makers are not for making a hardware concept feel integrated and intentional.

Please find me a laptop with equal specs, battery life, display (always ignored when people talk about apple on here), engineering quality, and aluminum construction.

I do not use OS X because of gaming, BUT you will be hard pressed to find a $600 windows laptop that even comes close.

That $600 isn't the retail cost. Its the parts cost. I'm probably being really generous there at $600.

That $600 isn't the retail cost. Its the parts cost. I'm probably being really generous there at $600.

If you sell your product for the cost of parts then you won't be in business very long. R&D isn't free.

If you sell your product for the cost of parts then you won't be in business very long. R&D isn't free.

I agree. Then there is the bit you add on top knowing that certain people will pay it never the less. Some take it to extremes.

Their R&D is well paid for the first day their products release. Also, considering almost none of their products have been refreshed in forever, what R&D?

Plus the stuff isn't expensive. People talking "what about the aluminum unibody?!" as if aluminum is expensive. My Chinese Android tablet has a CNC'ed aluminum body and cost me $150 with a 2048x1536 screen, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage and an Atom quad-core.

Looking nice and costing $1,500+ doesn't = super expensive construction and materials.

Wow, if this is your metric I'd hate to be around you when you go inside a fast food joint or buy any soda company's product. You must really flip your shit :eek:

Find me windows ultrabook with high end i5 U , pci-express SSD, >1080p calibrated IPS screen that is significantly cheaper than MBPr 13

Find me windows ultrabook with high end i5 U , pci-express SSD, >1080p calibrated IPS screen that is significantly cheaper than MBPr 13

I refer you back to post #16.

What I am saying is, if people are prepared to pay $1500 for anything that really costs far far less (including last gen hardware), then their minds are more than made up and committed to buying. They don't need to be told. It's a given.

I don't get why people would pay $1500 for a Windows laptop either in a lot of cases. But at least you can buy a Windows laptop for $300/$400/$500/$600/$700 and so on.

I refer you back to post #16.

What I am saying is, if people are prepared to pay $1500 for anything that really costs far far less (including last gen hardware), then their minds are more than made up and committed to buying. They don't need to be told. It's a given.

I don't get why people would pay $1500 for a Windows laptop either in a lot of cases. But at least you can buy a Windows laptop for $300/$400/$500/$600/$700 and so on.

I bought an Asus G73 in 2010. It cost me right around 1500. I wanted something I could game on and had a blu ray drive because I was out of town alot for work. Besides the battery being crap now It still runs pretty damn good and I feel I got my money out of it. I still use it when I am away from home. It still plays games decently.

The best part of a winblows craptop is that you can buy a $1500 one for $300.
I cringe whenever I have to fix someone's $300 starting price piece of junk.

Back