MacBook Pro 13 Issue

BBA

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a MacBook Pro 13", wanted to completely reset it and discovered it wont reinstall to the original OS because OS10.7 was now on the disk.

So I went into diskutil, erased the mac os partition and the damn thing disappeared. I was able to use time machine to restore, then decided to tempt fate again. This time the disk doesn't even show up in diskutil

From terminal, when I do a diskutil list, it doesn't look like it should, shows 14 disks from /dev/disk0 to /dev/disk13.

So my question: Is this the famous oh crap the drive just died, or did the erase corrupt the drive or did the flat ribbon cable just happen to show its face?

I can post a pic of the diskutil once it boots back up, I'm thinking if the disk is just corrupted, can it be remounted after I use diskutil to delete anything not /dev/disk0 and then try diskutil list again?

I decided to make a bootable ubuntu USB key, worked well.

Booting form the USB I can see the disk, it was unformatted so I formatted it and figured I woul dbe able to see it in the option command r bootup utilities...nope, still not showing.
So, I know the disk works, how to make the macbook see it is the question?

What did you format the drive to?
Have you followed any how-to's on the Apple website? What OS originally came with the MacBook?

I reinstalled the original OS to my MacBook Air (Yosemite).

What did you format the drive to?
Have you followed any how-to's on the Apple website? What OS originally came with the MacBook?

I reinstalled the original OS to my MacBook Air (Yosemite).

Mine came with lion. I'm trying to figure out what to format it to, Either HFS or HFS+ but not sure what partition structure is needed, any ideas?

This is where I am at:
Booted to USB key with ubuntu, found the disk and unmounted it.
I connected an external drive and used command option r to install the Mac OS X to the external drive
From the external drive boot into Mac OS I used the disk utility to format the drive, which failed.

I rebooted to ubuntu again, deleted the partition and rebooted int MAC OS from external disk.
I check the disk from terminal, got this for details:
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 7.46.47 AM.png

I am going to try format form the terminal now using gpt

I decided to make a partition from the command line, so allowing for 128Mib free space following the partition, I calculated the end sector to be:
236568503 - 262144 = 236306359
Then I unmounted disk0 with: diskutil unmountDisk disk0
Then I tried gpt to create the HFS+ partition: gpt add -b 40 -s 236306359 -t hfs disk0

I got an disk error from the command, so I went into disk utility and created the partition and it failed partway through on the format and force unmounted the disk.

Pretty sure it's the ribbon cable issue now.

Back