MacBook Pro 13 Issue

Discussion in 'Apple Products' started by BBA, Feb 23, 2017.

1. BBA

BBA [H]ardness Supreme

I have a MacBook Pro 13", wanted to completely reset it and discovered it wont reinstall to the original OS because OS10.7 was now on the disk.

So I went into diskutil, erased the mac os partition and the damn thing disappeared. I was able to use time machine to restore, then decided to tempt fate again. This time the disk doesn't even show up in diskutil

From terminal, when I do a diskutil list, it doesn't look like it should, shows 14 disks from /dev/disk0 to /dev/disk13.

So my question: Is this the famous oh crap the drive just died, or did the erase corrupt the drive or did the flat ribbon cable just happen to show its face?

I can post a pic of the diskutil once it boots back up, I'm thinking if the disk is just corrupted, can it be remounted after I use diskutil to delete anything not /dev/disk0 and then try diskutil list again?

2. BBA

BBA [H]ardness Supreme

I decided to make a bootable ubuntu USB key, worked well.

Booting form the USB I can see the disk, it was unformatted so I formatted it and figured I woul dbe able to see it in the option command r bootup utilities...nope, still not showing.
    So, I know the disk works, how to make the macbook see it is the question?

3. HDriscoll

HDriscoll Limp Gawd

What did you format the drive to?
    Have you followed any how-to's on the Apple website? What OS originally came with the MacBook?

I reinstalled the original OS to my MacBook Air (Yosemite).

4. BBA

BBA [H]ardness Supreme

Mine came with lion. I'm trying to figure out what to format it to, Either HFS or HFS+ but not sure what partition structure is needed, any ideas?

5. HDriscoll

HDriscoll Limp Gawd

6. BBA

BBA [H]ardness Supreme

This is where I am at:
    Booted to USB key with ubuntu, found the disk and unmounted it.
    I connected an external drive and used command option r to install the Mac OS X to the external drive
    From the external drive boot into Mac OS I used the disk utility to format the drive, which failed.

I rebooted to ubuntu again, deleted the partition and rebooted int MAC OS from external disk.
    I check the disk from terminal, got this for details:
    Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 7.46.47 AM.png

I am going to try format form the terminal now using gpt

7. BBA

BBA [H]ardness Supreme

I decided to make a partition from the command line, so allowing for 128Mib free space following the partition, I calculated the end sector to be:
    236568503 - 262144 = 236306359
    Then I unmounted disk0 with: diskutil unmountDisk disk0
    Then I tried gpt to create the HFS+ partition: gpt add -b 40 -s 236306359 -t hfs disk0

I got an disk error from the command, so I went into disk utility and created the partition and it failed partway through on the format and force unmounted the disk.

Pretty sure it's the ribbon cable issue now.