Macbook or Macbook Pro?

BrokenBoySoldier said:
one more question...how can i get all of my files(music and stuff) from my old windows laptop to the new mac?
Many different ways. Probably easiest is network them and share a folder on your old laptop. Otherwise you could use a fat32 formatted external hard drive, use an HFS+ formatted external and macdrive (program, free to try, so thats what i did actually), use thumb drives, use your ipod, use force, burn dvd backups, .....um....i think i ran out of ideas.

Octave said:
Many different ways. Probably easiest is network them and share a folder on your old laptop. Otherwise you could use a fat32 formatted external hard drive, use an HFS+ formatted external and macdrive (program, free to try, so thats what i did actually), use thumb drives, use your ipod, use force, burn dvd backups, .....um....i think i ran out of ideas.

i'm gonna sell my laptop, can i setup a sharing folder and copy the files across?

BrokenBoySoldier said:
i'm gonna sell my laptop, can i setup a sharing folder and copy the files across?
yerp....whatever you share on your local network your new macbook should be able to access

Under your System Preferences on MacOS, there is a 'Sharing' panel.... in it there is a Windows sharing option. This basically turns on SMB. You should be able to log into the MacBook from your Windows machine then. Or, as others mentioned... there are several other ways.

Also, just wanted to note that as others said... there is a LOT you can do with the MB. It is great for stuff like the iLife suite that comes with it (Garageband, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb, etc.) There are tons of games you can play.... I've even tried running my pro-3D CAD and animation/rendering stuff on it, and it runs. I've not tried, but I think it can even play-back HD video content.

The big reason people point out 3D and gaming... is that some of that stuff... at the high end, or for the pro user, is just too much for the GPU in the MB. A lot of it will actually work, you just won't be happy with it if you use it on a regular basis or at a pro level. (though I'm not a gamer on my computer... so some of the really OpenGL dependent stuff might not actually work... don't know. Or, it might just play at an unacceptably low frame rate.)

Other than that... it pretty much matches the MBP in capability.... and blows away previous generations of laptops (well other than the GPU.).

-Steve

i've got one more question...do both the Macbook and Macbook pro both come with core duo 2...because i read in a magazine the macbook doesn't? Also what does the security port do on it...i asked in PC world but they didn't know... :eek:

Shivetya said:
hell for the price of a C2D Macbook you can get a refurbished CD Macbook Pro :)

You could, but some people dont want the extra weight and size and lower battery life.

BrokenBoySoldier said:
i've got one more question...do both the Macbook and Macbook pro both come with core duo 2...because i read in a magazine the macbook doesn't? Also what does the security port do on it...i asked in PC world but they didn't know... :eek:

Lol. Yes, the macbook NOW comes with a C2D.

The security port is for a laptop lock, usually made by Buffalo or Kensington, that lets you lock your laptop to stuff. Useless IMO... as people normally bash in your screen if they can't steal your laptop :mad:

Arcygenical said:

The security port is for a laptop lock, usually made by Buffalo or Kensington, that lets you lock your laptop to stuff. Useless IMO... as people normally bash in your screen if they can't steal your laptop :mad:

thanks!

Arcygenical said:

Hehe.... it was kind of a long wait, huh?

Yes, you might want to check the specs (unless you are ordering directly from Apple), as there are probably both Core Duo and Core 2 Duo units around. Actually, if you don't mind having the Core Duo, there might be some discounts on them. There isn't all that much speed difference between the two for a lot of things. (only a few percent)

I think the biggest thing is that the C2D models bumped up other stuff... like hard drive capacity and stock RAM config, etc. RAM will be your biggest thing... you want 1 GB minimum. You probably don't need more (though it never hurts)... but I've seen a pretty big jump in speed between 512 and 1 GB. After that, it really depends on the apps.

-Steve

hey sorry, backtracking a litte

would the Macbook be good enough for my pc replacement? I just can't decide which one to buy. I mean like I thought I was going to buy the pro, but now I give it more thought, it seems realy expensive and it seems like the Macbook would be enough for me.

Also I have to bring it to school, so a cheaper one might be a better option? plus its smaller and has longer battery life.

evs said:
hey sorry, backtracking a litte

would the Macbook be good enough for my pc replacement? I just can't decide which one to buy. I mean like I thought I was going to buy the pro, but now I give it more thought, it seems realy expensive and it seems like the Macbook would be enough for me.

Also I have to bring it to school, so a cheaper one might be a better option? plus its smaller and has longer battery life.

You should probably read through this thread a little and check out some others. I can't recommend which computer you ought to go with unless I know what exactly you'd be using it for. I went for the MacBook Pro because I wanted to stay away from the integrated graphics. It was a good "middle of the road" solution since I had a 12" PowerBook G4 and a Dual Core AMD/SLI rig for my gaming system. I'm very happy with the MBP.

evs said:
would the Macbook be good enough for my pc replacement?

Like felix88 said... it depends on what kind of PC you are replacing. The typical home or office PC... no problem. A CAD system, a video editing station, or a gaming PC... probably not.

The big thing is, as we've been discussing, the integrated GPU on the MacBook. It just isn't fast enough for some of the tasks above, depending on what you're expectations are. In fact, for stuff like openGL graphics, etc... it isn't even as fast as the previous generation of G4 powerbooks.

However, to be fair... MANY PC laptops have integrated graphics, and even most of the more 'bargain' PC home and business computers have integrated graphics. It does really depend on what you need (or want) to do with it.

As for the general capabilities of the machine (outside specific graphics related tasks), these chips are pretty fast. I'd guess that one of the two processor cores is about equal to a 2.8 - 3.2 GHz Pentium 4, again depending on the task. (and remember you have two of them... so when one is bogged down, it doesn't drag the whole system down with it.)

At work, I've done some testing with the Intel Mac mini (1.83 GHz), and in the things I've thrown it it, it matches speed pretty well with a dual 2.3 GHz G5 xServe in our server room. That is really pretty impressive.

I don't think most people realize the power of these new Duo Core CPUs. For once, Intel has finally gotten smart and given up marketing gimmicks for real performance. I think that is why Apple decided to go that direction. The Pentium 4 was a dead end. The Duo Core is kind of like a combination of the Pentium Pro (remember those?) and the PPC architectures.

So... as I was saying in one of the posts above.... any computer with these new Duo Core architecture CPUs is probably faster than 90% of all the PCs in use in the world.

-Steve

Sorry to hi-jack but riddle me this:

I've been looking at MacBooks. I'm a windows guy, have been forever and run window's PC no problem and know my way around them.

The new Macbooks use the Intel hardware, my friend's got one. Thus windows XP can be run on them.

This brings me to the question, Bootcamp.

I've heard that it uses up to 15GB's, is this true? If I bought a macbook and wanted to run windows, is bootcamp easy to install to let me do that? I like the idea of flipping between OSX and windows XP pro.

Could you tell me a little about boot camp, is it a system hog? does it take massive GB's? does it slow down the macbook's at all?

I've been looking at Laptop's and macbooks, I can build a pretty good HP/Dell for around $1200. The macbooks seem to start at $1500...

winston856 said:
I've heard that it uses up to 15GB's, is this true? If I bought a macbook and wanted to run windows, is bootcamp easy to install to let me do that? I like the idea of flipping between OSX and windows XP pro.

You aren't stuck with 15GB. You can lower or increase the partition. You are only limited to the amount of free space available before partitioning the drive.

winston856 said:
Could you tell me a little about boot camp, is it a system hog? does it take massive GB's? does it slow down the macbook's at all?

Bootcamp is pretty much just a set of drivers for the WinXP side, partition tool and the ability to boot off of the WinXP disc so you can install the OS. The only thing that will take up resources is Windows XP. So no it isn't a system hog.

winston856 said:
I've been looking at Laptop's and macbooks, I can build a pretty good HP/Dell for around $1200. The macbooks seem to start at $1500...

MacBooks start at $1049 and ends at $1399 for base models. Refurbs start at $849. Are you looking at the MacBook Pros or is that Austrailian/Canadian pricing?

winston856 said:

I've been looking at MacBooks. I'm a windows guy, have been forever and run window's PC no problem and know my way around them.

The new Macbooks use the Intel hardware, my friend's got one. Thus windows XP can be run on them.

This brings me to the question, Bootcamp.

Ok umm, BootCamp is a dual booting option for Windows XP and OS X on the same Intel-based Mac.

BootCamp doesn't bog down a MacBook at all, it's just installing XP on a seperate partition.

It's actually easier to intstall XP on the Mac than it is on a real PC because BootCamp does all the partitioning for you and it then it burns all the drivers for you onto a CD which removes having to look for all the drivers on the manufacturers websites and stuff.

You must have a Win XP SP2 based CD though, an SP1 or non-SP1 disc will not install.

If you want to flip between the OS more quickly than a restart though I reccomend using virtualization software like Parallels. Parallels is a GREAT program and the recent Beta enables you to boot from a Boot Camp partition.

So yeah... I don't use my desktop except for downloading torrents anymore, and it's a serious machine. OS X has done that to me. It's such a great piece of software that I don't use either Parallels or BootCamp anymore because I don't want to use it anymore.

EDIT: Umm, what the guy above me said too... especially about the pricing, that confused me too.

I can't say, as I really haven't tried BootCamp personally. I know at work the IT folks have been setting up MBPs for some of the execs with it... so I assume it must work reasonably well. But, it is still considered 'beta' at this point... so not sure everything is smoothed out completely.

What I can tell you is what BootCamp basically is, and how it differs from other solutions to run Windows.

First, BootCamp is really like if you bought some PC laptop and installed Windows on it. You are creating a partition on the HD, and it is directly running Windows on the hardware. Because the actual hardware components of the Mac are a bit different... like the iSight or keyboard, remote control interface, etc.... it needs to have special drivers for these things, and keys mapped, etc. Also, the Mac uses some kind of firmware (EMI, EFI? something like that), rather than the typical boot ROMs in a standard PC... so that is why the BootCamp is needed to get you going. But, when installed, you're running windows... no emulation or anything. So, it is just as fast as if you bought a Dell or something with the same components.

The other option (which I'm much more interested in), are the Virtual environments, like those of Parallels.
http://www.parallels.com/

This is basically using the virtual machine capabilities of the CPU to run multiple OSs at the same time. I can have my OSX running, and then Windows in a window.... as well as over various OSs in other windows. If I have a machine like the 4 processor Mac Pros, then I could have OSX, Windows, and a couple Unix OSs running all at full speed in UI windows. This also is NOT emulation... it is a virtual machine. BUT, because it is not directly addressing components like the GPU, you don't get full effect on them for things like gaming... that is why the gamers use BootCamp. But, this virtual machine thing is MUCH more flexible. You could have a dozen different Windows flavors, etc... and just boot them up in windows. If they get corrupted, just restore one and relaunch. It is awesome for stuff like testing software in different OS environments... or testing web pages, etc.

Then there is stuff like the old Virtual PC product that was emulation. I'm not really sure if any of these packages would run on these machines... but this is kind of history now that the virtualization stuff came on the market.

As for actual resources... hopefully someone else can help you out there.

-Steve

Yeah sorry, I was talking about the macbook pro's for $1500.

Thanks for the info on bootcamp though. I knew little about and it sounds like a really neat program.

I'm really considering buying a macbook just so I can get the best of both worlds. I'm not ready to buy a laptop yet but when I do I think it'll be a macbook. As long as it can play counterstrike I'm good :)

Well i've decided to go with the PRO and i've put in an order for the 2.33 Ghz variety, with a 160GB harddrive, and also a glossy screen.

The apple guy at DJ's talked me into it. He suggested a pro since I was going to replace my main destop, and i wanted to keep my opporutnities for gaming open.

So yeh. I finally feel relieved. Hope it comes soon!

Thanks for everyone's advice here.

i decided to go with a white 13" macbook, with a 120Gb hard drive for college, it is replacing my desktop, but i don't play games on it anyway i play them on my 360, so there's nothing really to persude me to buy the Macbook pro

BrokenBoySoldier said:
i decided to go with a white 13" macbook, with a 120Gb hard drive for college, it is replacing my desktop, but i don't play games on it anyway i play them on my 360, so there's nothing really to persude me to buy the Macbook pro

hmm true that. cept i'm still stuck with a ps2 so yeh. and i do aprpeciate the bigger screen and much higher resolution. i'm used to a 20 inch with 1650 x 1080.

does anyone know if the apple mac computers (not laptops) screen can be used by the xbpx 360 as a HD screen?

BrokenBoySoldier said:
does anyone know if the apple mac computers (not laptops) screen can be used by the xbpx 360 as a HD screen?

Do you mean the iMac's? Because no, they can't.

The actual LCD's might be able to and you'd need the VGA adapter for the 360.

Ok so specced up a macbook at the applestore:

# 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
# 80GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
# Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
# Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
# AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

$1224

What about battery life, how good is a macbook on it?

winston856 said:
Ok so specced up a macbook at the applestore:

# 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
# 80GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
# Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
# Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
# AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

$1224

What about battery life, how good is a macbook on it?

I get 4 hours on the go with low screen brightness and wi-fi on, or 5 hours with wi-fi off.
Battery has never been an issue for me either, although I've run it down pretty close a few times.

That's a good price too, these new MacBook's have a better price scheme for the upgrades I think than the 1st gen (mine) did.

Optional87 said:
I get 4 hours on the go with low screen brightness and wi-fi on, or 5 hours with wi-fi off.
Battery has never been an issue for me either, although I've run it down pretty close a few times.

That's a good price too, these new MacBook's have a better price scheme for the upgrades I think than the 1st gen (mine) did.

Is there a bigger battery I can buy that would give me longer life?

I'm also wondering what type of video solution is in the macbook? Is it good enough to run counter-strike condition zero?

winston856 said:
I'm also wondering what type of video solution is in the macbook? Is it good enough to run counter-strike condition zero?

definitely not.

It's an Intel GMA950 integrated graphics chipset which is limited to 64MB of shared VRAM.

Optional87 said:
definitely not.

It's an Intel GMA950 integrated graphics chipset which is limited to 64MB of shared VRAM.

What are you talking about? CS:CZ is based on GoldSrc, the same engine as the original Counter-Strike. It'll work fine on any modern computer, regardless of the graphics, though the GMA 950 is more than sufficient.

CEpeep said:
What are you talking about? CS:CZ is based on GoldSrc, the same engine as the original Counter-Strike. It'll work fine on any modern computer, regardless of the graphics, though the GMA 950 is more than sufficient.

Having personally installed steam and such under bootcamp using my HL2 Platinum account, I can say that while it does run, it would be best meant for light and infrequent gaming at best.

Optional87 said:
Having personally installed steam and such under bootcamp using my HL2 Platinum account, I can say that while it does run, it would be best meant for light and infrequent gaming at best.

The HL2 Platinum pack didn't even include CS:CZ. You're probably thinking of CS:Source, which is not what winston856 asked about.

Optional87 said:
definitely not.

Actually the GMA950 can do 224MB of shared RAM, but it starts with 64MB and requests more as required.

Quoting from: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

"Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) 3.0 supports up to 224MB of video memory; system memory is allocated where it is needed dynamically."

Hope this helps...

bbz_Ghost said:
Actually the GMA950 can do 224MB of shared RAM, but it starts with 64MB and requests more as required.

Quoting from: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

"Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) 3.0 supports up to 224MB of video memory; system memory is allocated where it is needed dynamically."

Hope this helps...

Actually this is how the Intel GMA works as far as OS X is concerned:
drp at said:
I see a lot of speculation here regarding the GMA950 and that is has been "capped" at only 64MB by Apple.

First a disclaimer: Although I work for Intel I am not a spokesperson for the company and my comments shouldn't be considered any sort of official company statement. During my day job I develop graphics drivers for Intel including the GMA950 series. However, I don't have any insight into Apple's device drivers. Similarly, everything included here is available from public sources and does not include any proprietary information.

What Apple is saying (and makes complete sense based on the architecture of the chipset) is that they allocate a minimum of 80MB of system memory for the GMA950 to use. Additional memory will be allocated as needed up until the maximum addressable size which is 256MB.

Put simply, there are two types of "things" that go into video memory:

1) The frame buffers
2) Textures/Surfaces

The GMA950 has a maximum resolution of 2048x2048 pixels with 32bpp color depth. That means a single frame buffer can take up to 16MB.

It can also display two unique images simultaneously. In the case of the Macbook, this means the internal LCD panel and the external DVI connector. Taking this into account we're up to 32MB -- in practice this will never happen since there really aren't any displays with that high a resolution on the market. However, Apple could be playing it safe and always reserve enough memory to handle all frame buffer sizes.

Similarly, Apple may be using the concept of having front and back buffers to provide smooth video. This means each display effectively has two frame buffers associated with it. As a result, now we're up to the magic 64MB number.

In addition to frame buffers, there are typically off-screen areas that are used to cache bitmaps, individual characters of fonts, the contents of a window that is going to be blitted or blended, etc.

There are countless uses for off-screen memory. Importantly though, the GMA950 can only off load work from the CPU when it has this memory to use. It can only accelerate drawing and compositing within video memory.

In this case, it sounds like Apple has ensured that there is a minimum of 16MB of off-screen memory for this use. As a result, we get the 80MB number.

The important thing to realize about integrated graphics chips such as the GMA950 is that memory can be dynamically moved from the system to the video processor at will. This is done in 4KB chunks up to the maximum address space of 256MB.

We already know from IOReg that Apple has configured the GMA950 with a 256MB aperture.

And Apple themselves have effectively confirmed all of this with their knowledge base article:

Mac mini (Early 2006), MacBook, iMac (Mid 2006): About the Graphics Processor

In short, the 64MB number being thrown around is a minimum value not a maximum value.

That doesn't mean the performance is good on it though.

I just figured that the hl1 engine is pretty old, but I guess the graphics solution is pretty crappy in a macbook...

There really isn't many detail options in CZ though, I could turn everything I could down low. I'd probably be using bootcamp and running winxp Pro if I was going to play CZ (i'd have to).

Hmm, I like the size of the macbook but if it can't even run CZ I just don't know if it's worth buying. That game is pretty old and the hardware has to be pretty bad to not be able to run it.

winston856 said:
I just figured that the hl1 engine is pretty old, but I guess the graphics solution is pretty crappy in a macbook...

There really isn't many detail options in CZ though, I could turn everything I could down low. I'd probably be using bootcamp and running winxp Pro if I was going to play CZ (i'd have to).

Hmm, I like the size of the macbook but if it can't even run CZ I just don't know if it's worth buying. That game is pretty old and the hardware has to be pretty bad to not be able to run it.

I already said above that the MacBook will run CZ (and any other GoldSrc games) just fine. The GoldSrc engine even has a software renderer (I don't know if it was present in the version used in CZ, though I suspect so) which means games based on it can possibly run through Parallels to some extent.

CEpeep said:
I already said above that the MacBook will run CZ (and any other GoldSrc games) just fine. The GoldSrc engine even has a software renderer (I don't know if it was present in the version used in CZ, though I suspect so) which means games based on it can possibly run through Parallels to some extent.

Thanks for the confirmation on that then :)

Now, if I was to get a macbook pro is there any advantages to the "glossy extra brite" screen vs. the normal screen?

winston856 said:
Thanks for the confirmation on that then :)

Now, if I was to get a macbook pro is there any advantages to the "glossy extra brite" screen vs. the normal screen?

The glossy screen is the same type of screen you would see on a MacBook.

I personally like glossy because the colors look more vibrant, but if you're more about accuracy because you develop web colors and applications then Matte is the way to go.

I think glossy is a lot easier to clean as well, but it's worse for showing up fingerprints.

Optional87 said:
The glossy screen is the same type of screen you would see on a MacBook.

I personally like glossy because the colors look more vibrant, but if you're more about accuracy because you develop web colors and applications then Matte is the way to go.

I think glossy is a lot easier to clean as well, but it's worse for showing up fingerprints.

Thanks.

I've been customizing macbooks on apple's website and it's become apparent to me that they like to try and rape you on the HDD pricing...

Back