Macbook or Macbook Pro?

BrokenBoySoldier

Limp Gawd
Hey, i decided to buy a macbook for college, now is it worth the extra money for a Macbook pro, or should i stick to just a normal macbook?

Thanks in advance

What are you studying? You plan to bring your notebook with you to class? Is this going to be a desktop replacement?

More details and we can better answer your question :)

I got the Pro model, and since I bring my laptop to class...

I wish I had gotten the regular Mac Book...

The battery life on this thing just isn't up to snuff.

We need some more info... lol. :D

The primary difference between a MacBook and MacBook Pro is the video (GPU).

There are some other differences... like screen rez, ports, max CPU speed, etc.... but the GPU is the primary deal killer for some people, depending on what you need to do with it.

Give us a bit more info, and and we can help you decide.

-Steve

It's simple really

Do you want to play any games or not?

the advanatge the PRO has is:

1. larger screen's
2. non-integrated video card

that is more or less it.

everything else is more or less the same.\

Also, the Macbook CPU is soldered in, so you cant change it, i dont beleive it is soldered in in the PRO, but not sure.

MrGuvernment said:
everything else is more or less the same.\

Also, the Macbook CPU is soldered in, so you cant change it, i dont beleive it is soldered in in the PRO, but not sure.

Soldered in both pro and standard :)

I've got a MacBook for college and I think its like the perfect size for taking to and from. Anything larger seems like it'd be too much.

I have consoles for gaming.

i also have consoles for gaming, i'm going to be taking it to classes and i'm studying maths, chemistry, physics and biology

I'd go with the MacBook. Had I kept my desktop PC for gaming, I would have gone that route.

MBP (in sig). I take it to class all the time, its really not that much bigger / heavier. Also, Electrical Engineering student so i attempt to use the most out of every piece of electronics :)

you can get them with the same processor / ram / hdd, so its not really slower in that respect at all. Only thing that would be 'slower' so to speak, its the GPU. And that, by a lot. But if you never game / use 3d stuff, you wont notice it.

edit: another reason i like the MBP over the MB, is all the extra features. Firewire800, lighted keyboard / keyboard in general, bigger screen (if its my only comp, im not going less than 15, sorry), remote (do they have a remote for the regular MB?), uh..i know there were more reasons, but i forgot, oh...i like the case better on the MBP.

Octave said:
you can get them with the same processor / ram / hdd, so its not really slower in that respect at all. Only thing that would be 'slower' so to speak, its the GPU. And that, by a lot. But if you never game / use 3d stuff, you wont notice it.

edit: another reason i like the MBP over the MB, is all the extra features. Firewire800, lighted keyboard / keyboard in general, bigger screen (if its my only comp, im not going less than 15, sorry), remote (do they have a remote for the regular MB?), uh..i know there were more reasons, but i forgot, oh...i like the case better on the MBP.

but it's alot of money...

BrokenBoySoldier said:

That's true. It's just a matter of deciding if the extra ~$500 is worth it to you. If your new Mac is going to be your only computer, I would seriously recommend considering the Pro.

BrokenBoySoldier said:

Go with the regular MacBook. It comes with the remote. To be honest, the backlight keyboard is cool but I generally turn the light off. If you can touch-type, you shouldn't need to look at the keyboard very often anyway. If you have no use for FW800, why spent the extra money?

felix88 said:
Go with the regular MacBook. It comes with the remote. To be honest, the backlight keyboard is cool but I generally turn the light off. If you can touch-type, you shouldn't need to look at the keyboard very often anyway. If you have no use for FW800, why spent the extra money?

FW800?
and it wouldn't be the only computer in the house, just my school work one.

BrokenBoySoldier said:
also what does the remote do that you get with it, also are there any advantages of having firewire800?

The remote lets you control Front Row.

The only benefit you'll get out of Firewire 800 is the speed, and that's only if the device you're using supports it.

CEpeep said:
If your new Mac is going to be your only computer, I would seriously recommend considering the Pro.

I'm not sure I agree. If you don't do something that specifically pushes the GPU (like 3D animation software, CAD, or gaming, etc.), I don't think you would noticed the difference between the two.

Especially since these notebooks now have Duo Core (basically 2 CPUs) technology, they are pretty much as powerful as desktops in most ways. You have USB and FireWire 400 on either to connect just about any peripheral you would connect to a desktop.

The internal hard drives are not as fast as desktop hard drives (on either MB or MBP), but they are so much faster than laptop drives a couple years ago, that this won't bother most people either. I no longer have a desktop, and I don't really miss not having one.

FireWire is a port something like USB (only better and faster). You hook things like external hard drives, video cameras, etc. FireWire 800 is double the speed of FireWire 400, but the devices that support FW800 are few.... you're mainly looking at external hard drives. For that, it is excellent.... you can actually get desktop HD speeds and then some over FW800.

I have a FW800 port, but have only used my FW400 port. The 800 would be nice for backup I suppose... or if I was doing heavy duty video editing.

Really, IMO, unless you find some feature of the MBP that you absolutely need, save the money and get the MB. Also, go look at them, you might just like one or the other (case design, keyboard, screen, etc.) enough to push you that direction. Both would make excellent computers for the majority of computer work.

Think of it this way... either a MB or MBP is going to be faster than probably 90% of all computers currently in use.

-Steve

I'd suggest the Pro if this is going to be your only computer. Plus, computers with a lot of onboard, and non-upgradable components don't sit well with me :p

Either way you go, enjoy!

Macbook and use the money you dont spend on the pro to upgrade it and get applecare and get a nano. for some reason my 13" screen does seem to be that small to me. And I use my girlfriends 30" too!

i won't be using my mac to edit videos,etc. so i think i'm gonna go with the macbook, to save myself some money and i might buy the office package for the mac.

BrokenBoySoldier said:
i won't be using my mac to edit videos,etc. so i think i'm gonna go with the macbook, to save myself some money and i might buy the office package for the mac.
I seriously recommend playing with them in person. Some people dont like the macbook's keyboard (like me)...some people love it (im sure someone will chime in and say they love it soon), but really its a personal preference you should decide.

Octave said:
I seriously recommend playing with them in person. Some people dont like the macbook's keyboard (like me)...some people love it (im sure someone will chime in and say they love it soon), but really its a personal preference you should decide.

thanks, i might pop into PC world as i don't have an apple shop near me...i live in a rubbish part of the uk

Ahh.... that does make it a bit harder. Well, if you can get to somewhere that has them, I agree, do it. There are aesthetic differences between the two for sure... at least worth considering.

1) The keyboards are quite different. It is hard to describe, but the MB keyboard is more like those calculators with the spongy 'chicklet' keys.... but, it is very high quality and well done. The size of it is identical to the MBP for key spacing and size... but the edges don't slope off, then just go straight down, with space between each key.

This took me a bit to get used to... a few days really (same for my wife)... but we both like it once used to it. I suppose I still prefer the MBP keyboard by a bit (backlighting is nice too)... but I think once you got used to either, I think you would type just as well on either.

Going from either MBP or MB to any other keyboard (like a standard desktop one) slows me way down. I like either much better than a standard desktop keyboard.

2) Screen. The MBP comes in a choice of 'matte' or 'glossy', while the MB only comes in 'glossy'. I'm going to be buying a MBP in spring (I do 3D work, so I need the GPU)... and I'm having a hard time deciding. I thought I'd hate the glossy, but after using my wife's MB for some time... I don't mind it at all. But, I've still not decided which I like better given the choice.

I think besides that... other than poly-carb vs. aluminum.... they are both built to very high quality. With the PB and iBook, there was a noticeable difference in how 'sturdy' both units felt, with the obvious advantage going to the PB. But, with the MB, MBP.... I think either are very good build quality.

If you don't need the MBP... again my advice would be to get the MB, and put the extra money into, say an external FireWire HD for backup, and some other peripherals.... or in the bank so you can upgrade once again at an earlier point. That said though, I think having the dual CPUs will make these things last a lot longer before 'perceived obsolesce'. (I say 'perceived' because up until a few months ago, we were still using a G3 'Pismo' Powerbook, and getting along fine for most day-to-day stuff.)

-Steve

SteveW928 said:
Ahh.... that does make it a bit harder. Well, if you can get to somewhere that has them, I agree, do it. There are aesthetic differences between the two for sure... at least worth considering.

1) The keyboards are quite different. It is hard to describe, but the MB keyboard is more like those calculators with the spongy 'chicklet' keys.... but, it is very high quality and well done. The size of it is identical to the MBP for key spacing and size... but the edges don't slope off, then just go straight down, with space between each key.

This took me a bit to get used to... a few days really (same for my wife)... but we both like it once used to it. I suppose I still prefer the MBP keyboard by a bit (backlighting is nice too)... but I think once you got used to either, I think you would type just as well on either.

Going from either MBP or MB to any other keyboard (like a standard desktop one) slows me way down. I like either much better than a standard desktop keyboard.

2) Screen. The MBP comes in a choice of 'matte' or 'glossy', while the MB only comes in 'glossy'. I'm going to be buying a MBP in spring (I do 3D work, so I need the GPU)... and I'm having a hard time deciding. I thought I'd hate the glossy, but after using my wife's MB for some time... I don't mind it at all. But, I've still not decided which I like better given the choice.

I think besides that... other than poly-carb vs. aluminum.... they are both built to very high quality. With the PB and iBook, there was a noticeable difference in how 'sturdy' both units felt, with the obvious advantage going to the PB. But, with the MB, MBP.... I think either are very good build quality.

If you don't need the MBP... again my advice would be to get the MB, and put the extra money into, say an external FireWire HD for backup, and some other peripherals.... or in the bank so you can upgrade once again at an earlier point. That said though, I think having the dual CPUs will make these things last a lot longer before 'perceived obsolesce'. (I say 'perceived' because up until a few months ago, we were still using a G3 'Pismo' Powerbook, and getting along fine for most day-to-day stuff.)

-Steve

that helps me out quite abit, thanks, which one is made from aluminium and which from poly carbonate, as i'm working with chemicals most of time and i need a sturdy piece of kit. Also are there any good programmes i should invest in for the A-levels i have taken?

BrokenBoySoldier said:
that helps me out quite abit, thanks, which one is made from aluminium and which from poly carbonate, as i'm working with chemicals most of time and i need a sturdy piece of kit. Also are there any good programmes i should invest in for the A-levels i have taken?

Hmm... well the MacBook is the poly-carb (I'm pretty sure... plastic of some sort anyway, but seems very durable), and the MacBook Pro is aluminum.

But, if you dump a beaker over into either, I think they will both be toast. ;) BTW... if you ever do spill something on a laptop.... the top priority is to get the battery out (assuming you can safely do so... ie: unplugged from AC). Don't worry about powering down or anything... flip and get the battery out. If you do it quickly... it can usually all be cleaned, dried, and will be fine. But, once the liquids arc things and circuits fry... its all over.

No idea about the programs (if you mean software I assume.).

-Steve

SteveW928 said:
Hmm... well the MacBook is the poly-carb (I'm pretty sure... plastic of some sort anyway, but seems very durable), and the MacBook Pro is aluminum.

But, if you dump a beaker over into either, I think they will both be toast. ;) BTW... if you ever do spill something on a laptop.... the top priority is to get the battery out (assuming you can safely do so... ie: unplugged from AC). Don't worry about powering down or anything... flip and get the battery out. If you do it quickly... it can usually all be cleaned, dried, and will be fine. But, once the liquids arc things and circuits fry... its all over.

No idea about the programs (if you mean software I assume.).

-Steve

ok thanks, i'll have to browse the net for a list of software that could help me

i've decided that a macbook might be better for me as it's smaller and i'm not going to be playing games or anything on it, it'll be for music and work only...do you think that'll be ok?

BrokenBoySoldier said:
i've decided that a macbook might be better for me as it's smaller and i'm not going to be playing games or anything on it, it'll be for music and work only...do you think that'll be ok?

I use mine for much more than that, and it's been much more than ok. I absolutely love my MacBook, it's a great machine.

BrokenBoySoldier said:
i wasn't being sarcastic or anything, i'm happy that it's good

i know you weren't, but I had to say it. it's awesome, you're going to really like it. I have a good post of really useful software I use on a daily basis: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030239380&postcount=16

Pretty much that whole thread is a lot of me talking about the MacBook and a lot of PC guys just saying PC's are better but not backing anything up about it...

So yeah, so much for getting help on a forum from PC guys...

Yea, I'm happy you've decided to go with the macbook, that way you have some spare money laying around, so I would buy applecare and either office or an ipod of some sort

Optional87 said:
i know you weren't, but I had to say it. it's awesome, you're going to really like it. I have a good post of really useful software I use on a daily basis: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030239380&postcount=16

Pretty much that whole thread is a lot of me talking about the MacBook and a lot of PC guys just saying PC's are better but not backing anything up about it...

So yeah, so much for getting help on a forum from PC guys...

cheers for that link, i'll have a look at those pieces of software now!

BrokenBoySoldier said:
one more question...how can i get all of my files(music and stuff) from my old windows laptop to the new mac?

I just transfered them via my network. Take note that OS X can't write to NTFS partitions, only read from them, and XP can't write to HFS+, so mount the network folder on your Mac and copy and paste from that folder to your Mac.

It was a lot faster over a network than using DVD's. The MacBook's have a gigabit NIC too, which was one of the things that was an important part of my decision making for me because I move a lot of files back and forth and often, and I don't like to wait.

Back