• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mac Mini or windows alternative for living room computer?

Yoma44

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 3, 2008
Messages
132
I have a couple kids that are showing interest in computer art programs. I have a couple monitors already, and I'm thinking of putting the computer(s) right in a kitchen desk area or high profile space. So I'd like it to look pretty sleek with minimal cables.

A $1000 Mac mini seems powerful enough, an acceptable cost, and sleek enough to fit the bill. The only thing is, I'd kind of rather get a windows 7 machine so it can run games and stuff as well as photoshop and Maya. So I was wondering if there's a good alternative in a mini pc type thing, or if I should just try running boot camp on a Mac mini.

A laptop is also not out of the question, but since I have some monitors, I wondered if I might get more power for the money if I wasn't paying for another screen.
 
Last edited:
By Mac Mini alternative, you mean a Windows PC with similar specs and size?
 
Right. I started looking around, and I saw something called the Chromebox, but that did not look like the right solution because of the Chrome OS. I'm looking for it to run Windows7 or 8.
 
Moved to SFF Subforum. You might get better help here.
 
What kind of games are you looking for it to run? What resolution?
 
You might find my thread interesting:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1708893

Basically the Mac Mini does it smaller, quieter and with less fuss (read: internal PSU) than any alternative I have found. My purpose is a little different to your's (VM server) but the outcome is the same. For it's size, CPU grunt and ease of use it's unbelievably hard to beat ... even if you add in a Windows license and just Bootcamp it!
 
For its size and style the mini is the best bang for the buck. Try getting a refurbished one from Apple (same warranty, looks like new, lower price). I am on my second mini and its the perfect unobtrusive machine. I wouldn't play any demanding games on it but for normal computer activity its more than enough and it consumes very little power making it very cool and quiet. You will need to budget in for a keyboard, mouse and monitors. With a mini Bluetooth accessories are the way to go since Apples bluetooth implementation is rock solid. it runs Windows 7 just fine using Bootcamp (disk formatter and install helper). All you need to do is purchase a Windows license and install media.
 
The mini is hard to beat, and I tried to plan out building a machine. In the end I couldn't match the sleek look of the mini and it really did what I wanted (XBMC/Plex, torrent hosting etc.). Slap in an SSD and it runs mighty fast for most daily tasks. Boot camp W7 and you'll be able to do your PS/Maya work as well - although I haven't had first hand experience with performance on those programs.

For Bluetooth accessories try the Logitech Dinovo mini - its not officially supported but works and along with a harmony remote I'm in peripheral heaven.
 
This is all very helpful. I'm kind of glad the mac mini is still riding on top since I really like the look of it. :)

Ok, sounds good. I've never tried bootcamp, so I hope it's not too insane to deal with. plus, the mac mini has no disc drive, right? Doesn't that make it hard to install windows? flopticalcube mentioned disk formatter and install helper, so I'll look into those as well.
 
This is all very helpful. I'm kind of glad the mac mini is still riding on top since I really like the look of it. :)

Ok, sounds good. I've never tried bootcamp, so I hope it's not too insane to deal with. plus, the mac mini has no disc drive, right? Doesn't that make it hard to install windows? flopticalcube mentioned disk formatter and install helper, so I'll look into those as well.

Bootcamp is an OSX program that divides the hard drive into two spaces (OSX and Windows) and then loads the Windows installer. You will have to get either an external USB DVD drive (~$30 from Newegg) with a Windows 7 DVD or a USB stick with a bootable Windows installer image loaded. If you manage to find an older mini you can get one with a DVD drive.
 
The mini is really a nice bit of hardware. I use the 2010 Aluminum model for my HTPC in my living room and cant be happier. I am not a big fan of Apple or their overpricing of hardware.. but I'll admit.. it just works and works well.. and is nice cosmetically.

as far as windows 7..

If you do not have windows 7 license yet, you can buy it online as an ISO and use the Microsoft download tool to create a bootable Windows7 USB Stick.

If you already have have windows 7, you can be creative and make a bootable USB fand use your existing license.

I am just not 100% sure if bootcamp will see the usb. I might have used a physical CD when I put windows 7 on my Mini.. it has been a few years. sorry.
 
Back
Top