M200MkII or KRK Rokit 8?

Zenshi

Gawd
I am hoping to be able to upgrade my speakers from my cheapo Yamaha YST M7 to something a bit better soon. The two speakers I am eyeing at this time are the Swan M2000MkII or the KRK Rokit 8. Any opinion on which is better? Though I game somewhat, my more important requirement for the speakers is for music (which can span from Zamfir and Mozart, to Eminem and Black Sabbath). More into purity of sound than shaking the walls (I don't listen too loud). The Yamaha is ok but it really lacks bass as can be expected from tiny speakers (it actually has ok midrange). I guess the third option is to get a sub and if so, I would like to keep it Yamaha just to keep it a set.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

I don't think these are even in the same category. One is a pair of speakers for less than 200, the other has an 8" woofer for much better reach on the low end but runs 250 for just one. I'd take the Rokit if you have the cash though.

get the Rockit's, then if it's not enough bass for you... you could always add the rp10s. :D

I'd love me some RP8 G2s, but honestly I wouldn't buy the rp10 sub (only reaches to 36Hz?! per mfg specs). To be fair I wouldn't buy audioengine's sub either. I say get the RP8 G2s and a nice 12 or 15" from hsu or epik.

The Rokit's if you can afford them. As you can see in my sig I have those Swans, but the Rokits aren't even in the same league.

Thanks all. I think I am starting to understand what I want to do then. If I can afford them, I will get the Rokits and if not, the Swans. Either way, they should be better than the speakers I have now.

Subs will be much later when I can afford a one. Again, I am not a diehard bassaholic so I should be ok if I get something with even a little bit of bass.

Really appreciate your comments. As a audio noob, its always good to get advice from others.

One last question. Are the G2 speakers that much better than the G1? I see that you can get a RP8 G1 for the same price as a RP6 G2. I am now wondering if the 8s are too big for me since I only have a small desk to put things. However, the 8s do look inviting. Thanks again for all your help.

One last question. Are the G2 speakers that much better than the G1? I see that you can get a RP8 G1 for the same price as a RP6 G2. I am now wondering if the 8s are too big for me since I only have a small desk to put things. However, the 8s do look inviting. Thanks again for all your help.

I'd go with 8s if you don't plan to get a sub, but if your desk is really too small, then you don't really have choice unless you change desk.

Back