M-Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe Active Monitors for $150

Very, very tempting. How much better are they then the AV40s?

Watch out for these, seems like common issue that capacitors go bad and need to be replaced.

Wow good price on the BX5a deluxe.

I was just litterally about to buy the AV40's from Amazon even though the price jumped up from last week and increased again this morning. I wanted one day shipping and I love amazon's return policy, but for this price I jumped on these. Thank you.

Are these just plug and play into a computer headphone jack?

Or do I need something special to hook these up?

Wow, that is a good deal. I'll be honest my AV-40 is already too much speaker for me.

So these have onboard amp but no DAC, correct? So you'd want to have a decent sound card right?

Welp! I bought em! Considering the reviews and quality and I need a nice set w/o a subwoofer, this is a great deal.

i really want to buy this but how much bass (like in percentage) does this have compared to promedias 2.1s (the old ones)? I really like my promedias because its good for movies for the boom factor, but i want to try something with better sound imaging.....

any advice would be awesome :)

i really want to buy this but how much bass (like in percentage) does this have compared to promedias 2.1s (the old ones)? I really like my promedias because its good for movies for the boom factor, but i want to try something with better sound imaging.....

any advice would be awesome :)

Not as boomy lowend-wise, but the clarity will be much better. I used to own a pair of BX8a's which still were less boomy than the 2.1's, until I got a set of Mackie HR824's. ;)

This is a good deal. I'm tempted to get these for my main system...

EDIT: Lol, missed it by a minute

I bit, I've been having issues with the receiver I'm using with my computer so it'll be nice to have a reliable sound system again. Plus I can actually use these as reference monitors for mixing!

Anyone have suggestions for speaker mounts or shelving? My brother in law has one that sits above his monitor. Or would you recommend speaker stands?

Just trying to figure out where to put these monster speakers when they come in.

Auralex pads, if your desk can fit them. Ideally, you want the tweeter at ear level.

Back