M-Audio BX5a Deluxe VS KRK RP5 G2?

Which set of monitors?

• Total voters

RAFA

Limp Gawd
Which monitors would you guys choose, and why? Thier both priced about the same, so its really comes down to build quality and performance. From what I've been told by a sales rep is that the BX5a's are louder/sound cleaner at a lower volume [stay cooler], the RP5 were just plastic, and that the RP5's just sound dull. I'm not sure if he was just being biased or if he really new his shit, but I'd like to hear some opinions on why I should choose one over the other.

Thanks.

[I'll mainly be using them on my desk for movies, gaming, and music [alternative, metal, rock]

I would suggest going to a local Sam Ash or Guitar Center and take a listening test with some familiar music, or music that's intended to be used on the speakers. And considering the morons that work in those places will sell you crap out of brand loyalty or out of defense of THEIR own purchases... take a good comparative listening for your self :)

Yup, absolutely no way to tell unless you audition both. Only thing that matters is how they sound to you, not what we think about them. Not to mention, I'm sure there isn't that many of us who have listened to both of those monitors back to back anyway.

If you believe KRK's marketing, the "design advancements" made in the development of the VXT series and Expose series have made their way into the second gen Rokits. I assume that the new Rokits are a little better than the previous generation, and the previous gen Rokits aren't half-bad.

I'm not sure what to make of the "plastic" comment. I think the only part of the Rokits that's plastic is the front bezel, which is understandable given the design.

Thanks guys, I had actually ran out to Guitar Center to listen/buy a set today, but I didn't check to see when they opened and I ended up showing up when they were closed.. The sales rep that I talked to was from Guitar Center, so maybe I just need to talk to someone that might actually work in the recording area [talked while in the parking lot]. Either way, I'll go back hopefully today and make a decision.

Thanks once again.

OK guys, instead of going straight home after work I made a little detour to Guitar Center. I did as you guys said and tested both sets of speakers back to back on the same songs. In all honesty I was dead set on the RP5's [mainly on apperance], but little did I know the M-Audio's were the better of the two [according to me]. I wish I could of sat there for longer tweaking thier sytem, but for some reason the RP5's were sounding flat, I'm talking I could instantely tell the difference in clearity when switching back and forth between sets. Again, I'm not sure if it was just the RP5's they had there that were not performing to standard, but it really was an easy choice.

and as a side note, I got them to match bhphotovideo's price of $249.99 - GC 10% off = $224.99 + Tax..

Thanks.

3305434660_4ec900be58_b.jpg

Congratulations, sounds like you made a great purchase. Hope you are happy with them.

Very lucky. I would be lucky to see those BX5a's under $350 in Canada, let alone $300.

Sorry for bringing this thread back up, but I forgot to get a set of cables while at Guitar Center, and now that I'm looking into it I'm a little confused.

I know I have the option to run either a XLR to 3.5mm or a trs to 3.5mm, but I'm unsure if I need to have both cables combine into one port [when plugging into the computer] or will I be plugging each cable into a seperate port? If so which ports?

[Include a diagram of my motherboard]
Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Rafael S.

You will need to use the TRS connector, the XLR is a balanced input.

Thanks Bro, but would you happen to know if I need to connect both cables into one port or are there two ports that I'll be connecting into?

[looks like I need to get both cables into the green port?]

You will need to get a standard 3.5mm to Stereo RCA adapter cable, then for each RCA connector you will need a 1.8" mono TRS adapter. All of these can be found for cheap on monoprice, i'll see if I can find direct links.

EDIT: One of these, and two of these. Of course you can get these anywhere you want, I'm just showing you what they look like.

EDIT: DIDN'T SEE YOUR UPDATE

Thanks.. Would this work?

2 x TRS-TRS Patch Cables
415855jpg.jpg

+

1 x 3.5mm - Duel TRS(F) TRS(F) Y Cable
416218jpg.jpg

I think that second adapter you posted has 3.5mm outputs, you would need a 1/4" output. If you can find that adapter that would work aswell.

When it comes to things like this there are many ways to get it done. Just different combination's of adapters. Just try to keep the number as low as possible.

You can use either a TRS 3.5mm to TS split, TRS 3.5mm to TRS split, 3.5mm TRS to unbalanced XLR split, or 3.5mm TRS to RCA split with 1/4" adapters. You are not required to have TRS on the end that connects to the speaker. TS will work just fine. Hosa makes a good set of cables and they are available at guitar center.

Thanks Guys, I ended up going to RadioShack and purchasing 2 - 1/4 to RCA cables and a duel RCA to 3.5mm. The only problem I'm running into is its only playing on one side. I made sure both speakers work, Each set of cables seem to work, and I have the levels the same on both the left and right on my computer..

Any suggestion?

Can you be more specific about what you bought, or better yet take pictures? If you have a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable plugged into the computer, then from each RCA cable you have an RCA to 1/4" cable plugged into each speaker you should be ok.

I've seen bad cables come out of radio shack before but just to be sure, try plugging that cable into an ipod or other mp3 player. Also, if you plug a pair of headphones into the computer do you get both sides?

OK, I just ran the 3.5mm end to my headphone jack, and they are both now working. Do you guys think its a motherboard problem, or maybe something in the settings?

I've seen bad cables come out of radio shack before but just to be sure, try plugging that cable into an ipod or other mp3 player. Also, if you plug a pair of headphones into the computer do you get both sides?

Its weird I just plugged my headphones to the motherboard, and it plays fine, but when I plug in the 1/8 (3.5mm) into the motherboard I only get one side. The front headphone jack seems to play both sides fine, so I'm not sure which to blame this on.

After playing with it some more I figured out that if I push the 1/8 into the motherboard all the way it will only play the right speaker, but when I pull the cable out ever so slightly it ends up playing both. Again, I'm not sure if its the design of the jack on the motherboard or the RCA cable [guessing RCA-1/8 cable because my headphones work fine all the way in, as it should].

With both speakers plugged into the normal audio out on the mobo and playing music, slide the balance slider back and forth in Windows. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be playing one channel to both speakers.

I'm using some Realtek High Definition Audio and all I see is my both left and right channels set to 100%..

Untitled-2.jpg

and with the 1/8 pushed in all the way into the jack its only playing on one speaker. Like I stated before when plugged into the headphone jack up front it plays both sides, so the levels should be the same on either side, correct?

Pull out the 1/8 inch like you said gave you audio on both speakers, then drop down the left and the right independently. If one of them is controlling both speakers then you have a problem.

So I pulled the cable out very little to get both working, I tried lowering the right and left side independently, and it works properly. I kind of hate to leave it like that, but should I return the cable and just buy a better one from another place, or should I just try another RadioShack cable and hope for the best?

Thanks once again for being such a big help..

Thats... odd. I don't know why that is happening. I was expecting the opposite, then I would have known what the problem was.

Examine the 3.5mm tip, does it look like other 3.5mm tips? Like that from a known pair of good headphones?

I checked the tip of the 1/8 cable with my Sony headphones that worked in that MOBO port and they seem to be identical..

[the more I look at them the RadioShack cable tip looks thinner, and the second section under the first black line is a little lower, but that wouldn't make sense especially since I have to pull it out for it to work.]

IMG_6674.jpg

And just as a FYI these speakers really do sound great, I'm seriously impressed by the wide range that these guys are producing.

could always pick up a deq2496 and run optical into it and then balanced to the M-Audios. :D also keep in mind there is a breakin period regardless of what anyone says. :)

I just purchased these monitors. I believe the cable most people will want to connect these monitors to their computer is 1/8 TRS to dual 1/4 TS.

Back