M.2 NVMe in mobo RAID: finicky?

The last time I had a motherboard RAID setup, it was two 2.5" SATA SSDs in Raid 0 as a game drive. It was a bit of a headache, and bloated my boot times like crazy.

I'm looking to upgrade my OS storage because I'm running low on space. I currently have a 250gb M.2 NVMe SSD, and I thought instead of just replacing it I might snag another and leverage The second M.2 slot on my Gigabyte Z270 Aorus Gaming 7.

How good is the implementation on this? Does the lack of the SATA controller make mobo RAID work better for NVMe as compared to SATA? I know it's a minor thing, but I really don't want to spend $100 to make my computer take over a minute to boot.

I am also curious on this topic.

I believe your BIOS/UEFI must have support for NVME raid for this to really work -- though I suppose you could do a windows based soft raid.

I am also curious on this topic.

I believe your BIOS/UEFI must have support for NVME raid for this to really work -- though I suppose you could do a windows based soft raid.
I haven't looked at the particulars, but the board claims support for 3 M.2 NVMe drives in RAID-0.

Are both m.2 sockets the same spec? Some are x4 in one and less in the 2nd socket. I haven't done a RAID 0 NVME myself but if its anything like RAID 0 Sata - it's always going to be - best case scenario - as fast as the speed of the slowest drive.

Practically speaking though, since new NVME drives are so fast, I doubt you'll notice any benefit outside of benchmarks - unless you work with large data sets or video files or ... FWIW

Back