M.2 NVMe as SATA possible?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by SpeedyVV, Oct 13, 2017.

1. SpeedyVV

SpeedyVV [H]ardness Supreme

I have an oldish ASUS laptop, that has a M.2 SATA interface.

I really do not feel like buying an M.2 SATA SSD as I would not later be able to use it as a NVMe SDD.

n00b question: Can I, or are there NVMe SSDs that can operate in SATA mode as a boot drive?

Laptop in question is a ASUS UX21A-K1010V circa 2014

2. Blue Fox

Blue Fox [H]ardForum Junkie

No such thing exists. You can always sell your used drive later on and buy something else.

3. SpeedyVV

Thanks, that was what I thought but was not sure. :-(

4. Gronnie

Gronnie [H]Lite

It would be very cost ineffective to manufacture as there would need to be host interface hardware for both SATA as well as NVme, along with corresponding firmware.

5. SpeedyVV

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are mobos whose M.2 ports support both NVMe and SATA SSDs, correct?

6. Blue Fox

Blue Fox [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes. It is considerably easier to that on the motherboard side.

7. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

Motherboards generally already have SATA controllers and PCIe lanes, so it's trivial to route some of the M.2 pins to one of the chipset's SATA ports and some to its PCIe lanes. To have the device support both, it has to have both types of controllers, and the firmware to detect which one is active... or ratther it'll have to have a provision for the user pick one to be active because otherwise the motherboard could see the same device in two different places. That adds cost and complexity that's just not worth it.

8. chx

chx Gawd

NVMe drives in general are unusable outside of M keyed M.2 slots on a motherboard (laptop or desktop, doesn't matter). While you can (easily) get a USB-to-SATA converter, Intel does not let an empty Thunderbolt-to-NVMe enclosure to be sold so we are SOL.

Maybe one could build a very small ARM computer which provides a PCIe 2.0 x2 M.2 key M socket and then turns the data around and provides it as a USB C (USB 3.1 Gen 2) host. Anyone wants to do the Kickstarter :D ?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 5:07 PM