m.2 length extension?

toast0

2[H]4U
Has anybody used the m.2 length extenders? I've been using a m.2 sata ssd that's 2242, but my new motherboard only has a mounting point at 2280, so it looks like my options are: a) don't screw down the SSD, b) get a length extension and use the m.2 port, something like this, c) get a m.2 -> 2.5" sata adapter (some of which have really bad reviews)

Option a is working for now, and it's not the jankiest thing I've done with a computer, but I know one day it's going to get loose and that's not going to be good.

Option b seems cheap, and adds no electronics so it shouldn't go wrong, but I can't find any US sellers, so maybe it's a bad idea.

Some of the reviews for option c adapters said they let the smoke out of their SSD, which would be inconvenient. :(

Thanks in advance.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since you only have the mounting screw socket at 80 your best bet would be to Mcguyver one of these with a piece of old credit card cut down or a thick business card taped to it that overhangs the SSD by just a little to hold it down. I haven’t seen any extenders that just slip on, but I suppose you could 3D print something if you have access.

Thin sheet of aluminum or steel.
Some thermal tape.
Cut the metal to be long enough to cover most of the bottom of the NVME and also extend to the desired stud.
Drill a hole in one end of the metal plate so that a screw can go through it and into the stud.
Paint the metal black or something if you want.
With the NVME drive not seated, install the metal plate where it should be. It should be only connected to the stud and just floating.
Put the thermal tape on the bottom of the NVME.
Seat the NVME and push it down until it contacts the metal plate.
You might be able to stick something skinny under the metal plate to sandwhich it against the NVME to make sure the thermal tape sticks.
The NVME drive and the metal plate should now be as one solid unit. And should not move around or wiggle.
The metal will help disappate heat and the thermal tape should last long time.

laVZFgt.jpg

Thin sheet of aluminum or steel.
Some thermal tape.
Cut the metal to be long enough to cover most of the bottom of the NVME and also extend to the desired stud.
Drill a hole in one end of the metal plate so that a screw can go through it and into the stud.
Paint the metal black or something if you want.
With the NVME drive not seated, install the metal plate where it should be. It should be only connected to the stud and just floating.
Put the thermal tape on the bottom of the NVME.
Seat the NVME and push it down until it contacts the metal plate.
You might be able to stick something skinny under the metal plate to sandwhich it against the NVME to make sure the thermal tape sticks.
The NVME drive and the metal plate should now be as one solid unit. And should not move around or wiggle.
The metal will help disappate heat and the thermal tape should last long time.

View attachment 150667

cdad4844251ee873e132653e03ae39d3632ecb43f9c9f61b408d9cda64632900.jpg

Back