m.2 905p optane

I need more snappiness in the desktop when opening & closing apps. I open/close multiple Office / Adobe Creative Suite / Browser etch apps daily. I guess I will find out sometime in 2019 when the 905p crawls at the top of my hardware purchases list. I still have some more important items to buy such as a NAS but it's turn will come.....

What motherboard are you using? The U.2 version of 905p is on my purchase list but I have found not enough data about its performance vs the PCI-E version. A user on ROG forum reports that after trying everything it is slower than the PCI-E 905px and he is quite experienced on this since the launch of x299 - I am talking about the Rampage VI Extreme motherboard and the U.2. set-up through the CPU.

There should be no performance difference when the U.2. is going through the CPU but I need to confirm that before buying this to upgrade my 960Pro. I am only interested in it Random 4K of course and if not performing to the max it would be a waste.

BTW - Do you feel the difference between a Samsung 960 Pro and this when launching applications like Adobe Bridge (cache) / Illustrator / Photoshop / Premier / After Effects / Autocad, etc? Is it noticeable under heavy multitasking or when using Virtual Machines?

im using it in a laptop btw so it can only go through chipset and not direct CPU lanes, but even so the performance is noticeably better than a 960/970 pro. actually best to take advantage of it is if your OS is loaded with files to load at start up, virus scan etc etc.

Find it interesting you can tell the difference

Ssd sata vs nvme vs optane

The only mostly noticeable thing should be very large files or accessing large databases or say over 10-20k small files often (or high write 50GB loads)

Opening word and browser, booting os is nothing to an ssd usually (unless it's a Slow ssd at doing 1QD)

This is why you can tell the difference
upload_2019-1-2_7-10-44.png

Guess that makes sense as the latency of the optane is super super low even compared to normal ssd or even a 970 evo/pro

Guess that makes sense as the latency of the optane is super super low even compared to normal ssd or even a 970 evo/pro

970 pro aside, 970 evo latency isnt that low. because it got dram for caching a lot of speed issues can be masked up. unless you directly test the TLC flash chip theres probably no way to know, which none of the benchmark software will be able to do that for you.

imo the next thing they can further improve in terms of speed would be small block sized files, sequential performance. lots of small files written and mostly are put into ram due to OS (windows especially). somehow sandisk is extremely good in these area and why some USB flash stick has high sequential but when writing ton of small files they SUCK big time. optane SSD in these area is just above average so nothing special.

Yet, the 480GB keeps a steady price up there......I wonder when will it drop since it's been a year that I am watching it and no price movements...

oleNBR, the 905p m2 is not the standard m.2 in terms of lenght right?, i have yet to see laptops that supports this kinda drives no?

oleNBR, the 905p m2 is not the standard m.2 in terms of lenght right?, i have yet to see laptops that supports this kinda drives no?

i dont think theres a laptop that supports it in terms of the right length. i had to get an adaptor to make it fit else where.

Hi oleNBR, my laptop doesn't physically support a 110mm drive either but I think I can hacksaw around that.

My concern is that the motherboard connection was not designed to pull as much power as this drive can require. Did you have any concerns/thoughts in this area?

Thank you

Hi oleNBR, my laptop doesn't physically support a 110mm drive either but I think I can hacksaw around that.

My concern is that the motherboard connection was not designed to pull as much power as this drive can require. Did you have any concerns/thoughts in this area?

Thank you

I am using m.2 in my laptop with an extension adapter. 905p M.2 version is just the same as other M.2 drives so it'll be within power spec.

I am using m.2 in my laptop with an extension adapter. 905p M.2 version is just the same as other M.2 drives so it'll be within power spec.

The 905P is specced to consume 11.5W at load and 7W at idle. It absolutely is not the same as other M.2 drives. The m.2 spec is 2.5A maximum, while the 905P is 3.5A.

The 905P is specced to consume 11.5W at load and 7W at idle. It absolutely is not the same as other M.2 drives. The m.2 spec is 2.5A maximum, while the 905P is 3.5A.

yep it is spec'ed to that and it'll work. i know because i have it in my laptop with an adapter.

yep it is spec'ed to that and it'll work. i know because i have it in my laptop with an adapter.

Not trying to start a fight here. I think its important to point out that it may be working in your laptop, but not every laptop is going to have the ability to do so as some cut corners on routing the 3.3V power plane. The drive does not have any power saving features in the firmware which is part of the reason it is so responsive for windows level workloads.

Not trying to start a fight here. I think its important to point out that it may be working in your laptop, but not every laptop is going to have the ability to do so as some cut corners on routing the 3.3V power plane. The drive does not have any power saving features in the firmware which is part of the reason it is so responsive for windows level workloads.

ofcourse some laptop only has enough space for single sided m.2 ssd. 905p is double sided and it comes with heatsink thats how hot it runs. my laptop fits double sided SSD but its only for 2280 form not 22110 nor 30110 form factor. I had to get an extension and relocate it else where to get heatsink and the ssd to fit and have somewhat air flow to keep it cooler.

also the earlier samsung m.2 pcie ssd run extremely hot btw. pm961 and 950 series would use almost as much power as the 905p, they draw ridiculous amount of current.

but those dont matter to me that much anymore, next will be a desktop/workstation with optanedim as boot drive is what im after. this is when its being used as a boot device so it can store files.. single stick of dimm (single channel) the random write is faster than sequential write. special thanks to Jon.

optane dimm.jpg

Last edited:
ofcourse some laptop only has enough space for single sided m.2 ssd. 905p is double sided and it comes with heatsink thats how hot it runs. my laptop fits double sided SSD but its only for 2280 form not 22110 nor 30110 form factor. I had to get an extension and relocate it else where to get heatsink and the ssd to fit and have somewhat air flow to keep it cooler.

also the earlier samsung m.2 pcie ssd run extremely hot btw. pm961 and 950 series would use almost as much power as the 905p, they draw ridiculous amount of current.

but those dont matter to me that much anymore, next will be a desktop/workstation with optanedim as boot drive is what im after. this is when its being used as a boot device so it can store files.. single stick of dimm (single channel) the random write is faster than sequential write. special thanks to Jon.

View attachment 193495

Yeah optane dims are going to be crazy when/if they get added to the client platforms.

Back