m.2 905p optane

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by oleNBR, Jun 24, 2018.

1. JargonGR

JargonGR Limp Gawd

I need more snappiness in the desktop when opening & closing apps. I open/close multiple Office / Adobe Creative Suite / Browser etch apps daily. I guess I will find out sometime in 2019 when the 905p crawls at the top of my hardware purchases list. I still have some more important items to buy such as a NAS but it's turn will come.....

2. oleNBR

oleNBR Limp Gawd

im using it in a laptop btw so it can only go through chipset and not direct CPU lanes, but even so the performance is noticeably better than a 960/970 pro. actually best to take advantage of it is if your OS is loaded with files to load at start up, virus scan etc etc.

3. likeman

likeman Gawd

Find it interesting you can tell the difference

Ssd sata vs nvme vs optane

The only mostly noticeable thing should be very large files or accessing large databases or say over 10-20k small files often (or high write 50GB loads)

Opening word and browser, booting os is nothing to an ssd usually (unless it's a Slow ssd at doing 1QD)

4. Brahmzy

Brahmzy [H]ardness Supreme

This is why you can tell the difference
    upload_2019-1-2_7-10-44.png

oleNBR likes this.
  5. likeman

likeman Gawd

Guess that makes sense as the latency of the optane is super super low even compared to normal ssd or even a 970 evo/pro

6. oleNBR

oleNBR Limp Gawd

970 pro aside, 970 evo latency isnt that low. because it got dram for caching a lot of speed issues can be masked up. unless you directly test the TLC flash chip theres probably no way to know, which none of the benchmark software will be able to do that for you.

imo the next thing they can further improve in terms of speed would be small block sized files, sequential performance. lots of small files written and mostly are put into ram due to OS (windows especially). somehow sandisk is extremely good in these area and why some USB flash stick has high sequential but when writing ton of small files they SUCK big time. optane SSD in these area is just above average so nothing special.

7. JargonGR

JargonGR Limp Gawd

Yet, the 480GB keeps a steady price up there......I wonder when will it drop since it's been a year that I am watching it and no price movements...

8. Abula

Abula Gawd

oleNBR, the 905p m2 is not the standard m.2 in terms of lenght right?, i have yet to see laptops that supports this kinda drives no?

9. oleNBR

oleNBR Limp Gawd

i dont think theres a laptop that supports it in terms of the right length. i had to get an adaptor to make it fit else where.