Lyft Would Owe Drivers An Extra $126M If They Were Employees?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Lawyers representing Lyft drivers in a class-action suit in California claim the ride sharing company would owe drivers $126 million if they were classified as employees.

In a class action against the company, drivers for ride-hailing service Lyft won two important things: the right to not be removed from the service without being told why, and a $12.25 million settlement. The interesting thing about that figure, though, is that the lawyers’ own research shows that being given “employee” status would mean that drivers were owed an average of $835 each, or a total of $126 million for just the employees in California.

don't people actually READ what they are getting into? just curious...

Probably not. They have years of training to just click OK, Accept, Agree, etc and not read the 100's of pages of stuff in the 3x3 box. I wonder how many of these self employed contractors are paying their 15% FICA tax or even know what it is? Not to mention needing to check their insurance to make sure it covers commercial use of their private vehicle.

Probably not. They have years of training to just click OK, Accept, Agree, etc and not read the 100's of pages of stuff in the 3x3 box. I wonder how many of these self employed contractors are paying their 15% FICA tax or even know what it is? Not to mention needing to check their insurance to make sure it covers commercial use of their private vehicle.
To be fair, Lyft/Uber has just a big a problem properly reading relevant laws - which regularly results in them getting in trouble.

They wouldn't owe them shit since they wouldn't be in business long. These guys are brilliantly working the taxi worker's agenda and putting themselves out of a job.

And I'm sure this has slowed down Lyft's interest into autonomous vehicles.

Back