Lucid HYDRA 200 Multi-GPU Technology Performance

dammit, im still screaming for this as a stand alone solution. I dont wanna buy a new mobo at this time. Please give it to us as a pci/pci-e card! Huge market potential this way.

I would agree. If they were able to incorporate it as a pci/pci-e card as well as a built-in mobo chip they would greatly increase their target market.

After reading the whole article, the drivers from lucid scare me a little. You can buy the MSI Lucid-based big-bang when it comes out (whenever that will be) but have to wait on cross-vendor support until they can produce an adequate driver? It seems that the disputed "Delay" is in response on MSI's part to that specific case. Why would MSI take a huge risk like that when Lucid admits its cross-vendor driver isn't ready? Honestly i feel as though MSI is doing the right thing with the delay.
 
I think most agree that the delay was caused, for the most part, by the cross platfrom needing tweaking, and maybe in small part by NVidia.

Others just think this is still vaporwear.
 
other way I think jeremy, so he can plug his antique vga card into a modern mobo
 
Oops!

But, won't most mobo already have at least 1 PCI slot?

Or does Hydra technology only work with PCIe slots?

There are PCI-PCIe slot converter, running about 25usd, though. I was seriously considering them, at one point in time.


EDIT: won't it not work, anyways? Because the geforce 2 series doesn't have SLI?
I also meant to say:
I was considering PCIe16 right angle adaptors, and stumbled upon these PCI-PCIe adaptors.
 
Oops!

But, won't most mobo already have at least 1 PCI slot?

Or does Hydra technology only work with PCIe slots?

There are PCI-PCIe slot converter, running about 25usd, though. I was seriously considering them, at one point in time.


EDIT: won't it not work, anyways? Because the geforce 2 series doesn't have SLI?
I also meant to say:
I was considering PCIe16 right angle adaptors, and stumbled upon these PCI-PCIe adaptors.

And the fact that the decent performing Geforce 2's were agp.
 
Oops!

But, won't most mobo already have at least 1 PCI slot?

Or does Hydra technology only work with PCIe slots?

There are PCI-PCIe slot converter, running about 25usd, though. I was seriously considering them, at one point in time.


EDIT: won't it not work, anyways? Because the geforce 2 series doesn't have SLI?
I also meant to say:
I was considering PCIe16 right angle adaptors, and stumbled upon these PCI-PCIe adaptors.

Hes right in that its AGP so it can't, but FYI, SLI compatibility doesn't matter if you use the Lucid chip, that's one of the perqs.
 
The tech aside, I can't get around the reason you wouldn't sell your 2 260s or why you'd have both a 260 and a 4890 in the first place? And in the case of selling 2 - 260s and getting a 5850 would be faster no? This besides the cost of the Lucid itself, 2nd case and psu, etc...

You realize that is just an engineering sample of Lucid so PCPer could do an initial benchmark on it? Lucid is in MSI's Big Bang motherboard so there would be no need for a second case, PSU, etc.
 
Okays... so what is the point of this Hydra thing?

I've seen someone here say that they would love the idea of putting a 260GTX with their 58** - I see how that is good, but for all other people? Would it allow to use advantages from nVidia and ATi?

Otherwise, why would you wanna buy two different GPUs, presumably pay for Hydra... etc?
 
Okays... so what is the point of this Hydra thing?

I've seen someone here say that they would love the idea of putting a 260GTX with their 58** - I see how that is good, but for all other people? Would it allow to use advantages from nVidia and ATi?

Otherwise, why would you wanna buy two different GPUs, presumably pay for Hydra... etc?

Read this thread, the 2 reviews listed and the internet.
The internets great y'know?
 
This looks pretty awesome. Is the Hydra only going to be on LGA1366/1156, or will there be some on LGA775? Anyone know? I've got a spare GTX260 sitting at home, and I'd love to just be able to get a new motherboard and pair it with my 5870.

Hoping they make some 775 boards with it, i just bearly woke up and found this thread so if its already said excuse my lazyness :p

Wouldn't mind to keep my 9800gtx with a 5770 i plan to buy soon.
 
Neither review shows how it compares to SLI which would be interesting.
Nice tech though, I hope NVidia dont gimp it!

Youre one of the people that just looks at the graphs maybe?? At the moment, depending on the game, for pure sli or crossfire implementations it could be 10-20% either way. Meaning... sometimes lucid is faster, sometimes it is not.
 
I'm more interested in that Lucid Hydra test board at this point. It adapts one PCIe 16x slot on any motherboard into four Hydra enabled slots.

If they could come up with a form factor that would allow it to fit in a standard desktop case (opposite the motherboard, possibly), they could sell it as a means to add multi-GPU support to just about any motherboard.

Edit: it's called the "Adventure 2000" PCIe expansion board http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-adventure2000.html
 
Last edited:
I really want this thing to work, but I'm concerned about the 260/285 showing no improvement over the 260/260. It's really not just going to slow down the faster card to the level of the slower card is it?
 
I really want this thing to work, but I'm concerned about the 260/285 showing no improvement over the 260/260. It's really not just going to slow down the faster card to the level of the slower card is it?

I believe it balances it, so that the slower card only renders say 30% of the scene.
 
Yes, ATI said it as well. I'm referring to Nvidia though.

When asked for comment on this story, Nvidia spokesman Ken Brown told us that Nvidia welcomes new technology and innovation, especially those that improve gaming, and said he wasn't aware of Nvidia playing any role in the Big Bang Fuzion delay. Brown reiterated Nvidia's long-standing position that what Lucid is attempting to do is "very ambitious," "an enormous technological challenge," a position the firm has rather curiously communicated at every opportunity. Furthermore, though, he confirmed to us that Nvidia will not block its partners from producing motherboards that incorporate Lucid's technology.


You'll notice they only said that they wouldn't block their partners from producing the boards. They didn't say anything about not blocking the technology from functioning with Nvidia video cards.
 
I believe it balances it, so that the slower card only renders say 30% of the scene.

Would be awesome if they eventually added a slider so you could adjust the balance manually - could make a difference if overclocking the slower card.
 
I'm more interested in that Lucid Hydra test board at this point. It adapts one PCIe 16x slot on any motherboard into four Hydra enabled slots.

If they could come up with a form factor that would allow it to fit in a standard desktop case (opposite the motherboard, possibly), they could sell it as a means to add multi-GPU support to just about any motherboard.

Edit: it's called the "Adventure 2000" PCIe expansion board http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-adventure2000.html

If that was cheap enough you could add one to each of the PCIe x16 slots on a motherboard. So, theoretically, you could have 8 GPU cards in one system, if it had 2 x16 slots on the motherboard. And up to 16 GPUs on one of the motherboards with 4 x16 slots!

Talk about folding supercomputer!!! :eek:
 
The main problem with the Adventure board is that it needs its own ATX 24pin PSU connector (which pretty much means it needs its own PSU).

it really needs to just accept a large 12v feed from the main PSU and down-step it internally to the required voltages.
 
If it isn't faster than crossfire or SLI, and I have to pay a premium for this motherboard, why would I not take that premium and sell my used card and buy a faster graphics card. 100$ for a GTX 260 and 50$ mobo premium is more than enough to get a 5870 instead of a 5850+260+hydra.
 
The early previews seem promising, not gonna be an early adopter though.

I can definitely see this taking off though, unlike say PhysX PPU cards.
 
I can definitely see this taking off though, unlike say PhysX PPU cards.
This could actually help with the adoption of dedicated PhysX GPU's.

Right now, a PhysX GPU sits idle in the majority of games. With hydra, in games that don't use PhysX, the secondary GPU could be used to help boost normal rendering performance.

Double-bonus to having a secondary card :D
 
If it isn't faster than crossfire or SLI, and I have to pay a premium for this motherboard, why would I not take that premium and sell my used card and buy a faster graphics card. 100$ for a GTX 260 and 50$ mobo premium is more than enough to get a 5870 instead of a 5850+260+hydra.

Huh? Would not the 5850 + 260GTX be the better performing combo?
 
This could actually help with the adoption of dedicated PhysX GPU's.

Right now, a PhysX GPU sits idle in the majority of games. With hydra, in games that don't use PhysX, the secondary GPU could be used to help boost normal rendering performance.

Double-bonus to having a secondary card :D

Yeah, would mean you could keep an older graphics card to complement your new one in PhysX and a small boost in rendering too. Lucid is credit to team
 
This is looking good. I have been dreaming of pairing a high end AMD card with a high end Nvidia card for some time now.
 
Considering when they added a GTS 250 to a GTX 285 they got a 15% improvement, I doubt you'd rather have the 5850+260.
I see. Well - it is in the early stages. Nor did I read the article... :D
This is looking good. I have been dreaming of pairing a high end AMD card with a high end Nvidia card for some time now.

Whaaaaat?
 
Youre one of the people that just looks at the graphs maybe?? At the moment, depending on the game, for pure sli or crossfire implementations it could be 10-20% either way. Meaning... sometimes lucid is faster, sometimes it is not.

You guess wrong... I guess :)
You took a wild leap there.
 
Back
Top