Lucasart's Euphoria engine

thats sweet! so this looks like its using purely CPU computation and not the physx processor?

OMG!

They did make it sound like it's only using a CPU, because the host asked "This takes a lot of CPU power, eh?" And the LucasArts guy said "well it will be optimized for the game."
---Whatever that means. But he didn't say "well it will be using a physics processor"

It's more character anamation behavior.
It run more on top off a Physics engine. And have strong relation with AI.

Like the rigid body character graping the rope.

It's more character anamation behavior.
It run more on top off a Physics engine. And have strong relation with AI.

Like the rigid body character graping the rope.
Yeah I noticed Lucasarts next title is "Powers of the Force" or something like that. In the description, LA mentions they are using a powerful physics engine that uses the Euphoria engine along with Havok Physics. I guess the video was showcasing the Euphoria engine with the Indy demos, but the Havok engine with the destructable/deformable objects.

As far as the physics are concerned... meh. The breakable objects are no more than rigid bodies tied together with breakable flexible joints - nothing Novodex couldn't do 2+ years ago - and the deformation looks closer to the cars in Mafia than to the Airtight PhysX demo.

As for whether or not it'll require a physics processor, it's entirely a matter of scale. That's what PPUs are all about, after all. That particular demo certainly wouldn't require a PPU, but a few dozen crates in a room would probably bring most CPUs to their knees.

The thing that really amazed me in that video was the animation. I think it's what they call inverse kinematics, and this is miles ahead of anything I've seen before (which as far as I know is limited to Far Cry, and possibly Painkiller). The possibilities with such a dynamic animation system are staggering.

Guys, the game that uses this engine will also be ported to PS3, Xbox 360 and *PS2*. None of which have a physics processor. There's no reason why the PC version would require one.

I'm gonna guess that this will require a dual-core CPU to do much of anything, and probably love quad-core.

Guys, the game that uses this engine will also be ported to PS3, Xbox 360 and *PS2*.
The game may be ported to PS2, but I'm pretty confident the physics engine won't make it over intact. Your chances of getting something like that running on a 300MHz processor are ...slim, to say the least.

That's a video from Games Convention 2006 (August) demonstrating Pixelux's and NaturalMotion's game technologies for LucasArts' upcoming Indiana Jones and Star Wars games. Technologies being shown are Digital Molecular Matter by Pixelux and Euphoria Dynamic Motion Synthesis by Natural Motion.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/gameinfo/news/technology.html (2 new videos included)
http://www.pixeluxentertainment.com/index.cfm?link=technology
http://www.naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm

Original stream capture: http://files.filefront.com/lucasarts_techdemo_gc2006asf/;6746788;;/fileinfo.html

Considering the game is not slated to be released on PC, no, it will not require or even be able to use a PPU.

regardless of whether or not a system has hardware physics, it's obvious that this thing will love threading. all of the next gen consoles have multicore CPUs, so there's a great chance that this will work fine on both PCs and consoles. Ageia's marketing wants us to think that only their hardware is capable of physics, but in reality there's more than one way to skin a cat, and any decent multi threaded CPU should be able to handle realistic physics with the right kind of programming.

Considering the game is not slated to be released on PC, no, it will not require or even be able to use a PPU.

Well that rest the following. Will it be a crap cross port for PS3. Or will it be native optimised to use those Seven AI and Physics power ritch SPE's from the Cell CPU.

So the PS3 don't have a PPU but something that will do something like it.

That why I like that PS3 Console.
It will take some time wenn Dev's get the routine to use it to it's potentional. So in the long run PS3 might be a better choice. For AI and Phsyics power.

Wii is interresting it give me more movement so it's a healthy console.

Apparently, Rockstar just licenced the Euphoria engine, though no titles announced yet. Here's hoping GTA is one of them - animation has probably been its weakest point since the shift to 3D.

Back