LSI SAS3801 & Core I7-3770

wirerogue

Limp Gawd
hope you guys can help,

i have the following setup and when i upgraded to an i7-3770s, the lsi card is no longer recognized. no rom being loaded at post, no nothing. with the sandy bridge i5, works fine, ivy bridge i7 and :mad:

any help would be appreciated.

Lian-Li PC-Q25A
Asus P8H77-I
Core i5 2400s
8GB Corsair XMS
LSI SAS HBA SAS3801EL-S
Corsair CX430 PSU
1 Samsung 840 256GB SSD
1 Seagate 3TB (scratch disk)
4 Seagate 2TB

External Enclosure
Proavio Editbox 8MS
8 WD 2TB Green

Are the BIOS/firmware up to date on both the motherboard and the LSI?

yah, everything's up to date. tried disabling everything in bios and still nothing.

only thing i can figure is the i7 must be sucking up additional pcie lanes or something. can't seem to find any information about this anywhere.

on my ASUS Z68 board, I had to remove one of the DIMMs for the motherboard to detect my H700 RAID card.

only thing i can figure is the i7 must be sucking up additional pcie lanes or something. can't seem to find any information about this anywhere.

PCI-E lanes are provided by the CPU, so that isn't it.

Asus boards are very bad choices for RAID card users, but even still that doesn't explain how it worked with the old CPU. I still to this day don't understand why PCI-SIG will let Asus claim to have PCI-E support when they often don't support so many PCI-E devices. My cheapo ASRock Z97 Extreme4 is so much better than my Asus Maximus VI Hero was simply because the ASRock SUPPORTS STUFF. Asus has always had the most problems. The only board of theirs I ever got to work with LSI cards, out of at least 4 I tried, was the P8P67 Pro which initially didn't work but a BIOS update fixed it. (BIOS update never fixed the M6Hero). Too bad that board simply died one day after maybe 18 months of use. Only board I've ever had just die out of the blue on me (aside from some old boards that had the leaky Taiwanese/Chinese capacitor issue). Asus has also had issues with Intel integrated LAN because for a good long while they had a 64KB option ROM size limit which limited them to old RST OROM versions that had no TRIM and were quite poorly optimized for SSDs. Gigabyte and basically everyone else had long since shed that limitation by the time Asus ever did. I modded a bunch of BIOS on a site called BIOS-Mods and Asus boards were THE WORST. I don't recommend buying them again if you intend to use ANY PCI-E device other than a GPU.

But since you already have it, try taping SMBUS pins B5 and B6 on the card. It used to help some Intel boards work with older LSI cards but I've heard of people using the trick on more modern hardware occasionally as well.

i had to give up and put the old cpu back in. :(

i'm gonna try an i7-2600s and see if that works.

i just need some more horsepower for my plex.

Back