• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LSI or Areca for VSphere 4.1 Server?

keebs

n00b
Joined
May 27, 2011
Messages
2
I understand the first thing most people are going to respond with is "check the HCL". But, I am looking for 1st hand experience and information about storage controllers with ESXi 4.1. Most important is stability and raid management.

I have an Adaptec 5805 RAID card that has given me nothing but problems. My motherboard and chassis vendor is SuperMicro and they have strongly suggested LSI as a replacement controller vendor, however, I have heard good things about Areca. I always used Adaptec in the past, so I have no experience with either vendor. I understand there is no way to manage an LSI RAID under ESXi. Areca's out of band management is very attractive in this respect.

The main suggestion from SuperMicro is an AOC-SAS2LP-H8iR (LSI 2108 Chipset) or AOC-SASLP-H8iR (LSI 1078 Chipset), but I was also looking @ an LSI 8888ELP and an Areca ARC-1680 as they are on the HCL for my expander.

Can anyone provide any input? TY
 
I have used the Areca 1210 and 1220 both. you will need to go to the website and get the latest drivers for it. On the HDD side, I have used the WD Cavair Black drives and have had them fail on two different raid sets, so spend the extra money and get SAS drives.
 
For vSphere, LSI is much better. I'd recommend the 2108 chipset as it is newer and supports 3tb+ drives.

IIRC, the Areca 1880 is also based on the 2108 but you're better off with the LSI driver and firmware.
 
Back
Top