Low resource torrent client?

TheSmJ

2[H]4U
I have an old laptop with a Celly 2.6 GHz CPU and 1 GB of RAM. I'd like to be able to use it as a low power torrent box, allowing me to shut off my gaming PC when not needed, and in the end saving a lot on electricity.

I've tried Vuze on it. While I like its features and overall dependability (Its what I used on my desktop), I dont like the fact that it uses ~90% CPU usage downloading one torrent. Something tells me there are better options out there.

So that said, I am looking for a lightweight torrent client with RSS-downloading abilities as well as the ability to monitor a directory for torrent files and start their download automatically, so when I want to download a torrent and I'm on my desktop, I simply drop the torrent file in the monitored folder, and the client takes care of the rest.

Any ideas? I know uTorrent is popular.

+1 for uTorrent, it has a small footprint, though if you are downloading many torrents at once it will use a lot of ram. Very flexible and lots of useful features.

Just use Bittorrent/utorrent.

I think they have a webui too, so you can manage your torrents from your phone/tablet or another computer.

A lot of people bash uTorrent for being 'bloated' but I don't see that in the memory usage. It just has a lot going on, on screen.

definitely utorrent. I would recommend either that or vuze, but you've already mentioned you need something else.

Tixati

If you really want uTorrent stick with v1.6 which is the last version [strike=]to be open source[/s] before the sellout to Bittorrent http://www.oldversion.com/download-uTorrent-1.6.html
anything 1.7 or newer is [strike=]closed source and[/s] owned by Bittorrent.

IMHO Tixati > uTorrent (old or new doesn't matter)
Tixati is arguably the leanest client I've seen short of running the official Bittorrent client back in the day that was nothing more than a downloader. The official client today is based off uTorrent.

Last edited:
Tixati

If you really want uTorrent stick with v1.6 which is the last version to be open source before the sellout to Bittorrent http://www.oldversion.com/download-uTorrent-1.6.html
anything 1.7 or newer is closed source and owned by Bittorrent.

IMHO Tixati > uTorrent (old or new doesn't matter)
Tixati is arguably the leanest client I've seen short of running the official Bittorrent client back in the day that was nothing more than a downloader. The official client today is based off uTorrent.

Just one correction. uTorrent was never open source.

whats wrong with the modern closed source utorrent?

They've added unnecessary bloat and garbage; OP is looking for low resource. uT was fairly fast still (the last time I used it, but that was a few versions ago). I still don't really like all the added stuff. Toolbars, apps, media players etc. I don't need any of that.
I also don't particularly like the fact that uTorrent is now owned by BitTorrent who also has a paid version of uTorrent. I like to keep my freeware simple....no questions. Normally I'm not a conspiracy theorist but given the subject nature of the program in question.....I don't put too much faith in the uTorrent program anymore, especially since there are many alternatives out there. :)

Just one correction. uTorrent was never open source.

I was under the impression that it was, however I cannot find any information confirming that; sorry for the confusion. :)

Does Transmission for Windows support RSS downloading (it doesn't look like it)?

Transmission works on windows. It does not work well on my system. It's slow to boot, slow to import torrents and has crashed a few times. I love the linux/mac versions of transmission, but windows transmission is just not there.

Interesting. I must not be a very heavy torrent user. I used to run a linux server and used Transmission.

I recently moved to a Windows 2008 R2 server and use the Windows build of Transmission and it seems to work the same from what I can tell. Since it's on a server I only ever use the WebUI or a .NET remote Windows UI.

Another vote for uTorrent.

I had the same problem as you -- wanting to torrent 24/7 but not have my i5 4.5Ghz machine on 24/7, along with a boat load of fans and 6 hard drives spinning.

The absolute best "no hassle" setup is to also setup Drop Box on your laptop as well. Have uTorrent auto load any torrents it sees in a special Drop Box folder. You can sit at your desk, drop a torrent in your desktop drop box and a few seconds later your laptop is working on it.

The remote management is great too -- setup a device name and password and you can access all the features you need via a web interface

Have uTorrent save everything to a folder that's shared on your network so you can go into the laptop remotely and move anything you need to your main rig.

With this setup - you can literally put the laptop off in a corner or something and just leave it running 24/7, unless the PC itself crashes then you never have to open it or mess with it.

Back