• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Low Power Computer

jtvd78

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
303
I am building a server, and I need it to be as low power/heat as possible. I would like to have at least dual core, and at least 5 sata ports. I am leaning more towards AMD, because of their expandability. Onboard video is fine too, becuase it will reduce cost, power, and heat. Power efficiency is the main factor though, because my parents are paying for the power bill, not me. This also means that I need a really power efficient power supply. The budget is around 800.

I will not need much power in the computer, though. I will be doing basic file sharing, NAS, and backups .

Thanks

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Server: NAS, File Server, Media Sharing, Torrent Box
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
under 800. shipping included
3) Where do you live?
Centeral NJ
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Main Parts: Case, Motherboard, PSU, CPU, Ram, DVD drive.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I will be using a something like Team Viewer to control the server.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
in a few weeks
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
At least 5 SATA ports, Onboard Video, AMD
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
WHS



I will be buying this HDD seperately http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245 Unless there is a better one available
 
Last edited:
It would help if you answered the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!"
 
Sorry to say this but three to five months is far too early to start planning a PC build since a lot can change in 3-5 months. Parts recommended today can be out of stock, overpriced, outperformed, outdated, or out of style in two months let alone 3-5 months. So unless you can move up the build date, you're better off asking for advice one to two months in advance in order to get the best deals and selection on PC parts.
 
$73 - AMD Athlon II X2 240e CPU
$105 - Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3 AMD 880G mATX Motherboard
$35 - Patriot PSD32G13332 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$17 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$50 - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W PSU
$70 - Cooler Master CM690 II Basic ATX Case
------
Total: $423 plus tax and shipping.
 
A quad-core isn't really necessary for a file server or a media server.

Once you factor in shipping costs, the CM690 II Basic case costs the same as the CM590. As such, the CM690II Basic is a bit larger and has more features for the money. So no, the CM590 wouldn't be better.
 
I was thinking of getting an 80 plus PSU. Thould I get one of these, or one of the Enermax Gold certified units. I can't really decide for myself, because there aren't any reviews for them
 
I was thinking of getting an 80 plus PSU. Thould I get one of these, or one of the Enermax Gold certified units. I can't really decide for myself, because there aren't any reviews for them

Ok, how soon will you be able to make back that extra $60 with one of those Gold PSUs? Figure that out, see if that time period is acceptable to you, and then choose a Gold PSU.

As for which Gold PSU, the higher wattage versions of the NZXT and Kingwin PSUs you listed are good quality PSUs. Assuming that A) both companies used the same platform for their lower wattage brothers and B) that both both companies used the same quality of parts for their lower wattage brothers, both of those PSUs would be good choices.
 
Back
Top