• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Low fps on Fear Extraction Point

addictedto60fps

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Messages
1,329
Having never finished the game, I decided to go back to it and much to my shock, I'm getting fps under 80 for the most part. I remember when I initially played it in 2010, I would get fps in the several hundreds. Now, I'm hovering between 60 - 80 fps, with the game dipping to under 60 on occasions. What the hell is going on here? The weird thing is that occasionally, my frame rates will hover in the couple to several hundreds fps but eventually, they then dip back to 80 and below. Anyone know what's going on here?

Edit - I'm wondering/assuming these 11.1a drivers are to blame?
 
Last edited:
Having never finished the game, I decided to go back to it and much to my shock, I'm getting fps under 80 for the most part. I remember when I initially played it in 2010, I would get fps in the several hundreds. Now, I'm hovering between 60 - 80 fps, with the game dipping to under 60 on occasions. What the hell is going on here? The weird thing is that occasionally, my frame rates will hover in the couple to several hundreds fps but eventually, they then dip back to 80 and below. Anyone know what's going on here?

First thoughts - Logitech mouse/kb?

Other thoughts - I have an i7-920 OCed system and GTX480 SLI, and just finished the original fear, and even parts of that game for me were ~45fps. I was quite surprised for half-decade-old tech.

And yes, sometimes in FEAR I was 200-300+ fps. Other times ~45fps. Up to what was going on at the time.
 
I'm using a Logitech wired keyboard and Kensington wired mouse. This is the same configuration I used to play the game many months ago, so I doubt that's the culprit. Yeah, Fear can still tax your system in certain situations, but the problem is that I'm hovering between 60 - 80 fps in all scenes, which should not be happening with my configuration.
 
its most likely the engine used in FEAR that is the problem. i had weird frame rate drops with my gtx 260 but i play with vsync on so it wasn't as noticeable.
 
Tolyngee and silasbear - yup, that was it! It was indeed the Logitech wired keyboard that was causing the problem. What a bizarre problem! To fix the problem, I went into Device Manager and disabled the HID-Compliant Devices under Human Interface Devices. Went back into Fear and low and behold, my fps are in the hundreds now! Need to test it out some more to make sure that it stays that way under all scenes but it appears like it's fixed! Thank you! :)
 
Tolyngee and silasbear - yup, that was it! It was indeed the Logitech wired keyboard that was causing the problem. What a bizarre problem! To fix the problem, I went into Device Manager and disabled the HID-Compliant Devices under Human Interface Devices. Went back into Fear and low and behold, my fps are in the hundreds now! Need to test it out some more to make sure that it stays that way under all scenes but it appears like it's fixed! Thank you! :)

Huh. Now I'm curious if that's also what I ran into.

But the first 90% of the game was 200+ fps?
 
Huh. Now I'm curious if that's also what I ran into.

But the first 90% of the game was 200+ fps?

Since you have a pretty powerful setup also, during your playthrough, you should have been able to maintain several hundreds of fps throughout the whole game. Even under the most taxing scenes, I imagine with your setup, you should still be able to maintain a minimum of 100 fps or so.
 
Since you have a pretty powerful setup also, during your playthrough, you should have been able to maintain several hundreds of fps throughout the whole game. Even under the most taxing scenes, I imagine with your setup, you should still be able to maintain a minimum of 100 fps or so.

Well, WTF then? I knew about this possible problem, and only on average played an hour a day for a week, but only ran into it near the end of the final day to complete the game.

I never even rebooted, etc the entire week! But I only ran into when you blow the vault and have to escape. And I think it was only in the vault, too, when you see Harlan Wade(?) being killed by Alma.

I assumed it was the scene. I could have sworn it went back to normal by the end of the game.

Hmph, I'll keep this in mind though when I start Extraction Point for sure!
 
Wow, during the more intense scenes in Extraction, my frame rates went all the way down to 50 or so. Keep in mind that the system requirements for Extraction are steeper than Fear 1, but still, I'm surprised that my frame rates went all the way down to 50 or so. Time to upgrade! ;)
 
Taken from the steam forums.

My fps goes really low after a few minutes, what's going on?
What's happening is the Jupiter EX engine that F.E.A.R. and its expansions are built on is overpolling the USB bus. This most often happens when you are using Logitech/Saitek equipment and it has been a known bug for years but unfortunately still hasn't been fixed in the game.
A workaround to ensure you keep your smooth fps is to disable all "HID-compliant devices" in the Device Manager on your computer.

It's not your card, it's not your drivers. It's the game. I beat fear a week ago, and had to do this or it was unplayable. I know it was addressed above, but I'm just saying it again.
 
Yeah, I did disable the HID compliant devices and it fixed the problem. :) My frame rates are almost always in the hundreds now. However, I'm really surprised to still see the frame rates plummet all the way down to 50 or so in some scenes.
 
FEAR was a really demanding title for its time, brought many systems to their knees. I actually think the first one looks better than the second.
 
I remember 0_0'ing at getting 20fps on my 18-month old XP 3000+ PC with 1GB of RAM and an X800 Pro. I think it was a CPU problem, as I had a pretty low frame rate in CSS on that system as well, even at 640x480. Played it and its expansions through on my HD3870 but the microstutter was horrendous. Took my HD4870 512MB to play through the game flawlessly. FEAR 2 also played through fine on one 4870, even at 2560x1600 with 4xAA!
 
FEAR was a really demanding title for its time, brought many systems to their knees. I actually think the first one looks better than the second.

Yup, I would agree that the first one looks better than the second. I guess this was the Crysis of its time. ;)
 
Back
Top