Low fps in games?

Corbin

Limp Gawd
I wasn't sure where to put this, but lately anytime I play Tf2, and now BFBC2 (just bought it) I feel like the fps I'm receiving is much too low for my hardware. At 1680x1050 in both games, all settings at the lowest I barely keep 60 in fights in tf2, and I'm averaging 30 in bfbc2 (with much less in firefights). I know this can't be normal. Is one of my hardware pieces malfunctioning? My EVGA precision reader says my gpu is at 75 degrees C with 70% fan speed, but my gpu usage is less than 40 (during my bfbc2 time). Is something wrong here?

List your pc spec's plz so we can help assist the problem.

Cpu/Mobo/Videocard and all the rest :D

Sorry they were all in my sig.
Specs:
ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i
Intel E6750 @ 2.66Ghz
CoolerMaster Hyper TX2 Gaming
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 55nm SSC Edition (675/1443/1151)
G.SKILL HK 4GB (5-5-5-15/ 800MHZ)
Corsair 850TX PSU
Vista SP1 32-Bit Home Premium
Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms (1680x1050)

yeah i would have to agree with 450, dual core's are bare minimum on most game's now and really laggy out alot. or maybe it's just vista (Sorry not a big fan of vista)! Have u tried any other Operating systems cause i used to have vista and it was very laggy & slow.

Vista is probably not the problem.

OP, do you have the 64-bit disc for your OS?

No I haven't used any other Operating Systems, I've had this machine a little over three years (all except for the gpu and ram). I was planning to upgrade my cpu/mobo/hd/os soon, but I had wanted to wait until I found a deal on a 2500k. You don't think it could be a hardware malfunctioning issue? I swear a year ago I was getting great fps in tf2.. (well and CoD4 back when I played that).

Vista is probably not the problem.

OP, do you have the 64-bit disc for your OS?

No I do not it came with a 32 bit oem disk. Do you think just getting Win7 would fix it? (64bit of course).

I don't think upgrading to 7 will help you. Is your system fully updated? Try cleaning drivers and reinstalling them.

I don't think upgrading to 7 will help you. Is your system fully updated? Try cleaning drivers and reinstalling them.

I believe it is, but I will do this! Is there a driver cleaner you recommend?

So I think I'll just do a system reinstall, since I haven't done one in over a year (maybe 2?). I'll post back once everything is up and running.

If the OS reinstall doesn't work, any chance that you can OC that CPU to 3.2Ghz or so?

If the OS reinstall doesn't work, any chance that you can OC that CPU to 3.2Ghz or so?

Yes there is. I fiddled around a bit back 1-2 years ago when I just got this ram, and oced up to 3.3 (or around there) and I think I got it stable enough with all the tests and such. I'll have to read up on it again, but i have the general idea. I just clocked it back down for system longevity because I don't have a lot of money to buy another cpu if it dies.

So one day and 250+ updates later, and I believe everything is up to date. Tested TF2 out. WAYY BETTER! Games load faster, everything set to High (except for reflections) and with Vsync I'm 50-60 constantly, without it I'm anywhere from 50-130. This is at my native resolution. I also noticed that when I turned on multi-core rendering I automatically gained a 10+ fps boost. So my TF2 problem is fixed. I just have to download BFBC2 and test it out. I'll post back when everything is running.

I've come to the conclusion that everything is as it should be. FPS in TF2 and all older steam games is really good. BFBC2 is doing mid 30's which is probably adequate for my system, it is a newer game anyways. Thanks for the suggestions from everyone in this thread. And I'll probably OC this up sooner or later, once I get closer to upgrading my stuff.

Back