Love your Socket A?

I have 3 in the computers in the house for us as well as Folding@Home.

(2) Barton 2500+s CPUs @ 2Ghz and 2.1Ghz
(1) XP 1800+ at stock speed 1.53Ghz (I didn't want to mess with O/Cing it ;) ) The daughter will take it to college in 6 weeks for her freshman year. If it get's stolen I'm not out much and she doesn't game so no need for anything more than a GeForce2 MX graohics card that I have on a dedicated Folding machine.

Great performance for the price during the day.

socket a isn't a great budget option anymore, unless you're buying used. A solid 754 sempron setup costs under $150 with a nf3 dfi mobo, has 256k cache, and will hit 2.4-2.6ghz easy. I think that'd smoke most socket a systems, but I still have 3 other A systems in the house now.

I had to go with S754 for my new budget rig. I looked at Socket A but it's just too limited and theres very little to be gained by going socket A when you can get s754 at the same price level. The 3100+ Sempron is a rocketship and does 50% OC's all day long. You can get 754 boards for 50 bucks all day long.

Everyone is so keyed into 64 bits they are neglecting some huge budget performers out there.

I killed 2 socket A's when i was computer retarded. How you may ask? I'll tell you.

My friend had just recently got an AMD A64 2800+, i was still running an AMD 1800+ and my mom's computer had an AMD 1400+. Now being the tech savvy kid that i was, i put a couple of numbers together, mainly the wrong ones and used a torch lighter for the work. Which wrong numbers did i put together? How about the 1800, the 1400, and both the 32's.

I think you can figure out the rest.

hey, i'll be in.. 2200+ mobile 1.35v @ 2.2 1.525v at 44c on air with 85-90f ambient. my socket a can play most all hd content.. and i've only ever seen a64 systems play the high end stuff...

do i have to have the line for being in the club? i dont have alot or real estate left..

give it a month or 2, and i can join all 3 clubs.. with a 939 system in the works...

can i start the s370 club? cumine 800 rocking the xlink server...

EricNS said:
I killed 2 socket A's when i was computer retarded. How you may ask? I'll tell you.

My friend had just recently got an AMD A64 2800+, i was still running an AMD 1800+ and my mom's computer had an AMD 1400+. Now being the tech savvy kid that i was, i put a couple of numbers together, mainly the wrong ones and used a torch lighter for the work. Which wrong numbers did i put together? How about the 1800, the 1400, and both the 32's.

I don't believe this, pics? :rolleyes:

tommo said:
The 3200+ is definitely not hard to find.. check out all the listings on pricewatch

I'm not proud of being a Socket A owner though. It's bottlenecking the performance of my video card :(

oh and FYI there was a 3400.. this link was mentioned on another thread: http://www.amdboard.com/barton3400.html
Yeah we deal with those all the time at the AMD corporate forum, they tend to be modified 2500+'s or modified mobiles...a real PIB 3200+ is priced quite high...

EricNS said:

Wow, skills. I'm guessing it didn't work... But the math was right!

Anyways, we still need a Vice Pres!

MD_Willington said:
Yeah we deal with those all the time at the AMD corporate forum, they tend to be modified 2500+'s or modified mobiles...a real PIB 3200+ is priced quite high...
do you mean rebadged? as in illegal?

@skudmunky

- Athlon MP 1.4 ghz (soon to be overclocked)
- Geforce 4 MX440 64mb (overclocked by 100 mhz)
- Creative Soundblaster Live! 24 bit
- 512mb ram
- ECS M830LR
- Thermaltake Tsunami
! Hey !

You have the clone of the K7S5A...have you been looking up OC advice for that board?

@ XSNiper

What model 2800? there were a few diffent ones floating around, including a 266 bus Barton...

Hah, just realized I actually DO have a socket A chip still! I have no clue if this thing still works or anything, for that matter I can't even remember what kind it is...A1200AMS3C sound familiar to anyone? Might have a second around too...this was like 4 and 5 rigs ago, so kinda foggy.

If HTPC Rookie's AthlonMP's earned him the Dually Chief position...how about my two loveable overclocked AthlonXP-Mobile Bartons that are pin & volt modded to work in a Dual Athlon-MP board?

Something along the lines of 2x 2.43GHz (18x135) of IQYHA stepping Socket A goodness... :D

hmm.. no one took vice prez yet? i think i will step up and take that.. i need a good reason to not upgrade.. i mean.. side grade.. haha.. and being the vp of the socket A club might be enough motivation...

My Mobile 2600 running at 2700MHz keeps me more than happy for now. Upgrading my 4600 to a 6800GT should keep me good for another year or so.

Love my A sockets.

Began with a Duron 850... Sold it. :(

Current:
Main PC: XP-M 2600 @ 2.5ghz 1.725V - will be H20 soon, gonna try to hit higher.
Server PC: Tbird 1.333

Also have a bare 2500+ lying around. Need to find a mobo for it. Dunno what I'll use this PC for... :confused:

I have a Dual 1.2, a Dual 1800+, a single 1700+, and a single 1Ghz, all socket A. I used Socket A in my main box up until I put my xeon system together in 03.

I want in. Hey, I could be security officer for the club or Sergeant at Arms. Love my 2400xp-m. Running at 2500 mhz. I don't have any intention of upgrading till sometime next year. I've only had this setup for a year so it needs to last. My 'puter runs everything I have fine, besides I can't afford to anyway. I don't play the latest and greatest games. I'm running on air right now but I have all the parts I need to put my watercooling system together. I want to see if I can push my cpu any higher. :D

Love the Socket A's, gone through three of them so far(through my own stupidity in each case).

Running a 2500+ Barton at the moment, but OC'd it to 2.2gig(3200), no voltage upage at all, turned the FSB up, and it just went right with it, rock stable and more then powerful enough to play the only game I play(damn you EQ addiction, damn you!)

as a broke ass college student, I liked the price/performance point when I picked this up, but as technology moves on, the same "bang for your buck" nowadays is located within the 754, or, if you do a bit of digging budget Venice939's. But for me, this things still a rocking, and I'll keep it till it dies probably!

postalcop said:
I want in. Hey, I could be security officer for the club or Sergeant at Arms.

Granted, you are now Director of Defence (sounds cooler that way)

Also, I've updated the member list. PM me if you want your name ON or OFF the list please.

My main folding rig is a 2500+ Barton
My second folding rig is a 1.3ghz Duron
My girlfriends pc is a 2000+ Palomino
My parents pc (No, I don't live with them) is a 2200+ TBred B
A PC I made for my neighbor was a 2200+ TBred B aswell

I built my gf's pc (not including HDD or DVDRom) for about 150 bucks off newegg (MB video, she uses word and firefox 99.999999% of the time)

I love Socket A!

All the PCs in my house are Socket A

and most the PCs I build are Socket A (I build cheap PCs most of the time)

I've been running Socket A pretty much since it came out. I started with a 600MHz Duron, I had it OCed to around 850MHz. Socket A will always have a special place in my heart.

Count me in.

Currently running a 1700+ at 175 FSB and ~1950 mhz. Just bought a 2900+ I plan on OC'ing as hard as she'll go soon as I get time to install it.

Girlfriend's PC is my old 1.2 ghz t-bird.

haha, I havent seen this thread before. Sorry I already put member in my sig. I thought I was making it up. Anyway I have a 1.4Ghz T-bird. It's really old. :p I don't know what the rating is, I'm guessing somewhere between 1400+ and 1700+.

I'll join. ;)

I am impressed for the length of the Socket A. I don't think I have stuck with a single processor interface for as long as I have with my Socket A's. I am selling my current ones, since I am moving to the A64, but my brother and my mom still have socket A systems (K7S5A and one with integrated graphics).

oh and my DC at my house is running on an Athlon 800 on an old via chipset - I think the board is an Asus A7V333)

Yes I love my Socket A, my 2400+ Mobile is one of my favorite chips since my Celery 300A.
Considering I've spent about $300 on it over the last 4 years, starting with a GF2 and a Tbird 800, and still manage to chug through most games ok, it's probably the most cost effective platform I've owned.

Could use to update the 9600, but I'm not springing for a new AGP card right now.
It'll hold me over till M2 comes along.

jeece said:
Love my A sockets.

Began with a Duron 850... Sold it. :(

Current:
Main PC: XP-M 2600 @ 2.5ghz 1.725V - will be H20 soon, gonna try to hit higher.
Server PC: Tbird 1.333

Also have a bare 2500+ lying around. Need to find a mobo for it. Dunno what I'll use this PC for... :confused:

How about Folding for the [H]orde?

Hey, freidog, that's what I had until a month ago. I still use my 2400xp-m but I bit the bullet and replaced my 9600 with a 6600gt. I figured I would have this system for another year and a half or so. Besides, I wanted a card with vivo for video editing so I needed to upgrade.

FreiDOg said:
Yes I love my Socket A, my 2400+ Mobile is one of my favorite chips since my Celery 300A.
Considering I've spent about $300 on it over the last 4 years, starting with a GF2 and a Tbird 800, and still manage to chug through most games ok, it's probably the most cost effective platform I've owned.

Could use to update the 9600, but I'm not springing for a new AGP card right now.
It'll hold me over till M2 comes along.

you know, I think any card I put into my computer will get bottlenecked by my cpu. it's so old!

BigDaddy85 said:
get 9800 pro for that amd mobo andu should be fine for long long long long time. uhh don't get 6600 gt for that mobo lol.

I don't have a 3200+ .. I'm using an 2200+ xp-m @2.1ghz, I can't seem to get it any higher.

does anyone here have a socket A and AMD64 system? if so how much of a performance difference is there between same clocked ? For example XP2400+ and socket 754 3200

drizzt81 said:
oh and my DC at my house is running on an Athlon 800 on an old via chipset - I think the board is an Asus A7V333)

WTF?! A DC at home? Thats sick!

Well, I'm still using my 1800+ as my main box at home.
And recently my dad's Celeron 1 GHz said *poof*, so yesterday I pieced a new PC together for him, from spare parts: a Thunderbird 1400 :)
Just finished installing and updating Windows XP on it. Seems to work like a charm.

Back