Lots of games crashing

M4573R

Gawd
TF2 crashes pretty much every time before I quit playing and says the .exe encountered an error. WC3 has been crashing more and more either with crit errors, or the nvidia drivers fail where the screen freezes, then comes back with colors everywhere and textures thrown around. Sometimes my computer will just restart, or blue screen. I've refreshed the nvidia drivers multiple times, but that only seems to fix it for a little bit. Does this call for a refresh? format? something easier?

WinXP pro SP2
ASUS P5N32-E SLI
E6600
EVGA 8800gtx
2gig corsair dominator 4-4-4-12 ddr800
creative pro gamer fatality

Thanks

Is it overclocked? If it is then run at stock. And download Memtest86 and run a few passes because faulty ram can cause blue screens.

is this a recent build? try remounting your CPU heatsink and make sure that your PSU is up to the task........

Honestly, I think it is just TF2 at this point, specs in sig, and once I open console in TF2 and type in quit, the game closes but then Vista says that the game game crashed and to hold on while it is looking up a possible solution. That is my only game that does that, also on occassion when I first start up TF2 its full screen then for some reason it minimizes to the task bar and its an endless loop until I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and then it goes back to full screen. I just chalk it up to Vista and TF2 not liking each other, because Assassins Creed, Call ofDuty 4, Half-Life 2 all work with no glitches.

I'm not overclocking, and my proc never break 40C and my video card never breaks 70C. I can't remember the last time I formatted, but I went back to XP around january I'd say. I built this computer last summer. The power supply is a 750 watt silverstone. I ran multiple memory tests after my computer 100% fried 2 weeks after I built it and I didn't get any errors. Had to RMA the mobo, video card, power supply, and processor. I hope the crashes I'm having now can just be fixed by a format, but I may have to RMA my video card with all the video related crashes I get.

I have a similar setup (same CPU, 8800GTX, and X-Fi). Only difference is I'm running Vista x64. TF2 crashes when I exit a lot of times. I've also seen issues in WC3 and a few other games occasionally...Recently, TF2 has been locking up.

Who manufactured your 8800? Mine is EVGA, and I just RMA'd it for symptoms very similar to yours.

My card is also EVGA. I might RMA it then. And as a clarification, TF2 crashes in the middle of games, not as I exit. I meant to before before I'm finished playing, meaning it crashes before I get tired of playing.

This has happened to me before. Gives me a paged pool memory error. Says I have none remaining. Bullshit. Still have not been able to fix it either.

I had his issue. BFG 8800GT. Every game, and even Ventrilo give the error in Vista x64.

The issue seemed to clear itself up tho. no idea why. I have 19 problems to report in Vista, and no fixes yet.

My card is also EVGA. I might RMA it then. And as a clarification, TF2 crashes in the middle of games, not as I exit. I meant to before before I'm finished playing, meaning it crashes before I get tired of playing.

Yeah, mine crashes after I exit sometimes, and during play. The video driver will crash, or it'll just hard lock. I don't think it's a driver issue, though, because it runs fine for a while, then crashes a bunch, then runs fine for a few weeks. That seems more consistent with a heat or hardware issue.

Version_3 said:
I had his issue. BFG 8800GT. Every game, and even Ventrilo give the error in Vista x64.

The issue seemed to clear itself up tho. no idea why. I have 19 problems to report in Vista, and no fixes yet.

I have the same issue. It doesn't happen for weeks at a time, then I'll go to play TF2 and it'll lock up every 5 minutes.

Make sure your BIOS is the latest available. My rig used to crash/BSOD every ~20mins in COD4. Then I checked the manufacturers website and they had a new BIOS available. I installed it and the BSODs cleared themselves up.

All of the Source engine multiplayer games crash a lot. My HL2DM crashes when quitting practically every other time. I'm pretty sure this is a bug that Valve needs to fix. I've tried it with both Vista 32 and 64 and it still happens.

Crashing in the middle of a game could be your video card overheating or some bug with the server/map.

Should the 8800gtx be able to handle 70C? Also, is updating the bios risky? hard?

This just started today with me and TF2, think it may have something to do with the latest game patch they did. Sucks, right before a long weekend too.

Lots of problems with Valve games lately. Look around a bit, for many the solution was in parameter modifiers, guides like this: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Command_Line_Options might help with some of your problems, or at least diagnose where your issues are coming from. When I was running Portal I had to -dxlevel80 cause 9.0 was causing errors, and +mat_forcehardwaresync 0 to get it to do anything.

Keep an eye out, might not be your video card's fault.

My tf2 has been crashing on exit ever since I installed it. Not that big of a deal though, I wanted it gone anyways! Steam is unaffected by it as well... minor annoyance.

Back