Lost Ark (Hack & Slash)

So what differentiates this from other multiplayers ARPGs like PoE?

This genre is typically not my cup of tea (top view, too much VFX, icons, cool downs, corny characters, spamming buttons, blah blah), but I may give it a try for kicks.

The music is a bit much I say, but luckily the audio sliders are in depth enough to tune to our liking.

Played for a little under 2 hours last night. (Sorc)

Really good first impressions although I'm not big on the JRPG-style toon design..

And I agree, lots of windows/UI/systems to learn..

- I am cautiously optimistic this might become my go-to ARPG moving forward (y)

Really good first impressions although I'm not big on the JRPG-style toon design..

Same.

Played a few hours last night too. Had to skip the horrible generic JRPG cutscenes. You know in anime when someone attacks another then they say something cheesy like "Ha, you are more powerful than I thought... MY TURN".. Yes, it's that bad.

Aside from the terrible JRPG / anime clichés, the gameplay seems solid enough. It's a bit more heavy on the MMO than the ARPG than I was expecting, but it's not too bad.

The UI does seem a little overwhelming at first, but once you are a couple of hours in and cleared all the UI notices, it is pretty straight forward.

I've been playing the Gunlancer, since by all accounts they are the best end-game class to play, but I feel like Berserker might be more my playstyle.

Downloading the game now...

I'm downloading it now, not sure what to expect, but is it like WoW + Diablo had a baby and Lost Ark is it's child?

So is it worth paying a few bucks to play it early or just wait a few days for the free to play release?

I picked it up and have been messing with it for a couple of hours now. It feels like a Mobile game to me. The combat is flashy but that's about it; gather up a group of mobs and then run through your abilities until they explode. Quests have been weak. Movement feels off; I don't know how to put it but it doesn't seem as precise as Diablo or even PoE. No weapon swapping; you get one weapon that's tied to your class. I only dropped $25 so I'm not too mad and I don't have too many hours yet so it might get better but early impressions are not great.

Edit: I switched off of the Striker class to a Paladin and the movement and combat both feel a lot better.

Last edited:
Played it briefly last night, my quick impressions;

- Character creation and the test area to try out your moves and spells was fun
- Not a fan of the spells being in the QWERTY keyboard area, I like them to click with my mouse button, like I have been in WoW for 17+ years, in WoW I click each spell with my mouse. In Lost Ark the spells are in the typical WASD movement keys, a hard thing to get used to.
- It looks and sort of plays like a Diablo or Torchlight II type of game, but it's not. But it's also not played like a typical WoW or EQ MMO either.
- Getting in the game and playing, at first was confused and lost in the big city area in the very beginning, I seemed stuck in there, but then found my way out.
- Exploring the zone and attacking is fun, but seems repetitive with so many trash mobs, coming after you in wave after wave.
- Movement on the horse feels a bit choppy or turning and stuff doesn't feel fluid like WoW whatsoever.
- NPC's and getting quests etc... feels odd, something different about it.

- Overall it's ok, of course I know this isn't WoW or Diablo, it's its own game, but it sure does play and feel more like an Action RPG like Diablo, than it does typical WoW MMO, not just the isometric camera view, but the quick burst moves and fast spell attacks, and wave of mobs you attack at once, feels way more A-RPG.

This game seems like Diablo + Guild Wars combined, sort of. To me it's ok, feels a bit hollow or empty, a good game, not a great game, but I have only played it fr like an hour or two so far. Let me get some more time in it to really be fair.

After playing a bit more, this game feels very much like a combo of Guild Wars 2 + Diablo.

It definitely has more of an A-RPG feel.

I'm also not a fan of the QWERTY config...

But I'm assuming that can be remapped?? (didn't have a chance to hop on last night)

Is it "free" to play?

I'm deep into path of exile. with the new league not even a week in yet, I'm going to play that for another month or so. I figure by the time I'm burnt out of the league, I'll try this. by then the general consensus should be out on how the game is.

Is it "free" to play?

I'm deep into path of exile. with the new league not even a week in yet, I'm going to play that for another month or so. I figure by the time I'm burnt out of the league, I'll try this. by then the general consensus should be out on how the game is.
Yes, you do not have to purchase anything to start playing. It comes out tomorrow for those who didn't buy any of the Founders packs.

Yes, you do not have to purchase anything to start playing. It comes out tomorrow for those who didn't buy any of the Founders packs.
oh shit, I thought it came out yesterday. thought that sounded weird.

I'm fine with a game charging a few bucks for in game improvements- nothing that gives an advantage. I figure I've been playing PoE pretty steadily since 2014, I have about $100 in stash tabs which I'm totally fine with.

My only confusion, I'm just not sure where to go on my quests.

I have several quests, but just not sure where I'm supposed to go? I'm just aimlessly riding around into a different zone after different zone, lost.

My only confusion, I'm just not sure where to go on my quests.

I have several quests, but just not sure where I'm supposed to go? I'm just aimlessly riding around into a different zone after different zone, lost.
this was really vauge, i dont know where in the game you are.
once you leave the main contenient, the main questline turns to a blue marker.

Last edited:
just did the lvl 30 dungeon, shit was amazing. I'll make a guild tomorrow. I made one ealier and didnt like the name, so im on a 24h cooldown

Those thinking they will get ARPG experience a la Diablo/Path of Exile will be disappointed.

Think MU Online. Or Black Desert Online isometric. This is a MMORPG and not ARPG.
I repeat, this is not ARPG. It does not share much compared to traditional ARPG except the top down view.
The loot is not plentiful and the stats are not randomized. It is a mmorpg with a flashy action combat. It's grindy, it has lootboxes (but doubtful pay to win), the quests and voice action/cutscenes are cringy as fuck and I hate them.
The game is still fun though and I only got to lvl 18. Just don't expect an ARPG. It will keep me busy until something better comes along.

The game is kinda fun, I like it, don't love it yet. I'm only level 13, but confused as heck where to go or what to do, except follow the orange main quests. All the menus and stuff is overwhelming and I am lost with all that stuff.

But I did get into the mini scenario / dungeon areas on the maps, and blasting through those are fun. I imagine playing with a group and mowing down trash mobs and bosses could be super cool.

"Due to deployment issues the Lost Ark launch is unfortunately delayed. We hope to have this resolved in a matter of hours, and we appreciate your patience. We want your time in Arkesia to be a great experience and we’re working hard to get Lost Ark live as soon as possible."

perfect launch

And this is why I'm going to play Path of Exile for another few weeks until I'm burnt out on this league.

[H] Guild/Discord group has decided to go with US East "Danube" (fyi)

Armenius, you joining??

Alright - so...

A few things I like -

Yes, it's an MMO by heart, with a camera angle that's similar to Diablo - and that's about all of the similarities you're going to get.

What I love -
*Quests are way faster than Wow or any other typical MMO that I have played. While I'm not high level yet, it's very easy to fly through stuff at this point.
*While another poster mentioned the game not dropping a bunch of loot, I disagree entirely. While it's not a game that whores loot out for you, I have yet to feel I need more equipment or have too much in order to keep going. Loot comes and goes at an appropriate pace - so be it.
*From the get go - inventory space is plentiful.
*From the start - this is the first MMO I have ever played that a bunch of skills are already unlocked for you to use - that's fucking savage. From the get go, my sorc is an absolute beast. Pretty sure this game wants you to feel like an almighty god from the start, and I love it. My sorc fucking sweeps ads for breakfast and it's dope.
*You can play the shit out of this while drunk AF
* Uh, mounts pretty much from the start?? Hey World of Warcraft, take pointers!
*Ease of learning - if you've only played one MMO in your life, you'll pick this game up in no time. It's pretty easy to learn the basics. From quest givers to quest locations - this game does NOT make it confusing on where to go next. The quest UI is one of the easiest I have used to navigate. Simply click on the active quest and it'll literally give you the location on where to go next. So easy to do, even a caveman can do it. Yeah, that's right, fuck you Geico for the copyright infringement.

What I hate -
*Too many items and rewards from the start - I have no idea what the fuck is going on,or what half this shit does, and I love and hate it at the same time.
*Gold spammers - literally they're already ruining global and area chat - and it's day 1.... gtfoh, they need to halt player abilities to use global and area chat. You can't even private message players until lvl 17, so wtf?

So far, it's not a bad way to start your weekend. I dig it.

Last edited:
Back