Loosing HDMI Audio connection when switching tv sources

nlz242

Limp Gawd
Hello,

Long story short, i broke my XBMCBuntu installation trying to upgrade it and make newer AMD Video drivers work on it. So i decided to go the Windows route to get stuff up quickly.

So far everything works (mame is stable (wasnt on linux), sounds was easier to get working than in linux, my ps3 controler also works).

But im facing one issue that REALLY is a show-stopper.
If i reboot the PC while my TV's source is the pc, all is well, i get audio.
If i reboot the PC while my TV's source is anything other than the PC, no audio.
When switching sources on my TV, the pc looses its audio-connection and when i get back to the pc source, it doesn't re-establishes it, so i loose audio.
This TV has a PS3, the PC, a Wii and a cablebox connected to it, needless to say that it doesn't stay on the same source all-day long.
I've read that disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable would fix the issue, however this is not an acceptable solution (Won't cut it with the wife.)

My PC is connected straigth to the TV using HDMI.
Video card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450, sapphire brand iirc.
I was using the HDMI Audio drivers that came with the latest Catalyst version.
I tried uninstalling the audio drivers, it threw me back to default Microsft drivers. Same result, audio works if the TV is on and set on the right source, otherwise it doesn't work.
I've read that the Realtek drivers were actually superior to AMD's, so i installed that. Same results.
I've also tried disabling the Jack sensing, thinking it may be the one causing the disconnection. To do so i changed the value of EnableDynamicDevices in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}000\GlobalSettings
It did not help.

I did not experience this issue under linux, however i had many other issues under linux (unstable mame, latency, ps3 controler worked in ubuntu 11.10 but stoped working on 12.04, etc etc).

Since i did not experience that under linux, i'm sure the hardware/wiring can handle that use case. I just can't figure out how to make it work.

I am having the exact same issue. I have tried driver updates, rollbacks, the realtek drivers and so on. The only difference is that I am using a projector and a HDMI>DVI input on the projector but everything is running through my Marantz via HDMI. I would love to be able to turn my projector off and listen to music so I don't prematurely burn out my bulb.

My card is the 5870x2

**update**
I rolled back my CCC to 12.3 and I can now switch inputs on my marantz and I don't lose the connection. However, I still get "not plugged in" anytime I turn my projector off with no way of re-establishing that connection other than rebooting. I have done the forced EDID and set it to my receiver but to no avail, I guess I will have to run a SPDIF cable for when I want to listen and not watch.

Seems like there could be a custom driver (oh how I miss omega red) or program to force detection.

Last edited:
I'm experiencing same type issues on a W7 32 bit box with AMD 785G micro atx setup. I am running a single HDMI cable back to tv from a Pioneer VSX1120-K A/V unit. I wish Pioneer/AMD/ATI could fix this via software udate.

This is an issue within W7 environment. I have run ubuntu as my media server since and resolved the issue. There is a problem with windows and the way it handles HDMI audio out.

In Windows you can check a box to force the display Not sure under the 'nix os..

I tried that and yes returns video but windows sees the audio connection unplugged and will disable the audio device in the mixer.

I'm running into this as well. I went from a catalyst 11.x driver on an hd5450 to the latest 12.x driver and an hd5850. I used to have no problem with this so either so it's likely an AMD driver issue with the 12 series.

The HDMI cable is run to a Pioneer SC-27.

I'm going to attempt to downgrade to 11.x at some point.

Have you tried to make HDMI digital audio the default, and even go as far as disabling the other options in audio properties?

Same issue for me on Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate with an AMD Radeon 6450 and the latest Catalyst drivers. One suggestion I found was to shut off the AMD External Events Utility service. It didnt work for me, but some said it did. Apparently people with Nvidia cards are having similar issues. I'm looking for a fix still.

edit: just found this...looks promising:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1317491/silent-stream-bug

Also a hotfix from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975538

Alternative thing to try?:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1234612/ati-hdmi-output-sound-driver-not-plugged-in-after-reboot

Testing now.

Last edited:
I've been fighting this with my HD5450 in my HTPC. I rolled back to CCC 11.5 and haven't had anymore problems.

Back