Loop not draining

reaper7534!

Limp Gawd
Having a issue where my loop isn't draining. I ran a similar setup on my P5 case and the drain was lower than the radiator and res and it drained almost completely ( had drain port on bottom of rad ). The new setup has both inlet and outlet on top of rad. Am I not draining because my drain is not below the radiator ? My res will empty and I'm not sure how much of the rad empties, but the lines and blocks look pretty full. I've tried to illustrate what levels each component is at ( drain does not extend past radiator ). Where would the ideal place to install a drain ? Explanation would be nice since I don't understand this whole gravity thing.

Attachments

• loop.JPG
    loop.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
Are you opening anything at the top of your loop to allow air to displace the draining fluid?

That rad will stay full because of the way it's oriented, and the water barrier in the radiator will prevent the rest of your tubing from draining, because the bottom endtank of the rad is the lowest point.

That rad will never fully drain in that setup unless you turn your case over.

Last edited:
Are you opening anything at the top of your loop to allow air to displace the draining fluid?

That rad will stay full because of the way it's oriented, and the water barrier in the radiator will prevent the rest of your tubing from draining, because the bottom endtank of the rad is the lowest point.

That rad will never fully drain in that setup unless you turn your case over.

I am opening the top of the res when draining. What I am not doing and feel like a idiot for not trying this, I never tilted the case to move the water around because I didn't have to on my other case, it just naturally fed. Going to give that shot when I get home

I am opening the top of the res when draining. What I am not doing and feel like a idiot for not trying this, I never tilted the case to move the water around because I didn't have to on my other case, it just naturally fed. Going to give that shot when I get home
The top of your res will help that part of the loop drain. If your rad has additional ports on the end (like the thicker Alphacool rads, try cracking the highest one when you drain. It'll allow air in and let the rest of your loop drain via gravity.

What are you trying to accomplish with the drain? Just a standard drain and fill? Changing dyes? Breaking down/upgrade?

You can disconnect the outlet from the rez and use an air compressor (or just blow in it) to push some more out.

My radiator is upside down so I just buy a couple gallons of distilled water and fill/drain until I’m out of water. Add a smidge of vinegar the first run, when you don’t smell vinegar anymore, you’re good. Haha. Not very scientific, but easier than breaking down the entire loop.

The top of your res will help that part of the loop drain. If your rad has additional ports on the end (like the thicker Alphacool rads, try cracking the highest one when you drain. It'll allow air in and let the rest of your loop drain via gravity.

My older rad had additional ports, I have a EK now that doesn't. Could I put a valve inline with the out or in at top of the radiator to act as purge of sorts ?

What are you trying to accomplish with the drain? Just a standard drain and fill? Changing dyes? Breaking down/upgrade?

You can disconnect the outlet from the rez and use an air compressor (or just blow in it) to push some more out.

My radiator is upside down so I just buy a couple gallons of distilled water and fill/drain until I’m out of water. Add a smidge of vinegar the first run, when you don’t smell vinegar anymore, you’re good. Haha. Not very scientific, but easier than breaking down the entire loop.

Just for draining and maintenance, I'm able to fill from the res without issue.

The problem is without creating some sort of siphon/vacuum, it'll drain everything else while leaving what's sitting in the radiator...just sitting there. Do you run dyes or just distilled?

Just for draining and maintenance, I'm able to fill from the res without issue.

For maintenance you don't need it to fully empty out. Just add more distilled water and then briefly turn on the pump and then drain. Repeat this until the old water/dye is out. I've had my loop on the same water for 10 months so far with EK red solution.

I was still running my loops with just straight distilled, needed to empty that out and add in my new mix of biocide and distilled.. I just took the output of the radiator off put a piece of scrap PETG in it, opened the drain valve and blew and most everytihing drained

I was still running my loops with just straight distilled, needed to empty that out and add in my new mix of biocide and distilled.. I just took the output of the radiator off put a piece of scrap PETG in it, opened the drain valve and blew and most everytihing drained
Oooo... yep that biocide is now a must hahahaha

Just connect a hose to the top and blow the water out as stick suggested. I have never seen a loop without some water trapped somewhere no matter where the drain is. Flush with distilled and refill using biocide, no problems.

Just connect a hose to the top and blow the water out as stick suggested. I have never seen a loop without some water trapped somewhere no matter where the drain is. Flush with distilled and refill using biocide, no problems.

Yep do this. I use my datavac for this as it is better than blowing it yourself.

Yep do this. I use my datavac for this as it is better than blowing it yourself.

The high pressure from a datavac can break the seals on the fittings and damage the pump so I personally wouldn't do this. These loops operate on very low pressure and the fittings are made for that.

The high pressure from a datavac can break the seals on the fittings and damage the pump so I personally wouldn't do this. These loops operate on very low pressure and the fittings are made for that.

I do it all the time and never broke seals. You realize they are compressed down by compression fittings???? And the pump is screwed down tight as fuck on the seals.

I do it all the time and never broke seals. You realize they are compressed down by compression fittings???? And the pump is screwed down tight as fuck on the seals.

Yes and they easily break with added pressure from an external blower. One tiny rip and he would end up with a slow leak or worse. I've seen this happen before plus most veteran WC builders over at OCN also advised against it for the reason I mentioned. Specifically, the EK fittings are super fragile. If all he's doing is changing water then the best way is to flush it out with more clean distilled water.

Yes and they easily break with added pressure from an external blower. One tiny rip and he would end up with a slow leak or worse. I've seen this happen before plus most veteran WC builders over at OCN also advised against it for the reason I mentioned. Specifically, the EK fittings are super fragile. If all he's doing is changing water then the best way is to flush it out with more clean distilled water.

BS. You've no clue. One it could never build that KIND of pressure since the loop is open/broken. Two there a pressure relief hole on the datavac. And I don't give fucks about OCN.

BS. You've no clue. One it could never build that KIND of pressure since the loop is open/broken. Two there a pressure relief hole on the datavac. And I don't give fucks about OCN.

The loop is only open on two ends if you're trying to flush it out with a datavac. Like I said, I'd never do this, especially if there are more intelligent approaches to it.

The loop is only open on two ends if you're trying to flush it out with a datavac. Like I said, I'd never do this, especially if there are more intelligent approaches to it.

I'm losing brain cells reading this. If you don't like the approach so be it. Don't make up crap about randoms on OCN. You don't like fine it. Don't bullshit me about intelligence.

I'm losing brain cells reading this. If you don't like the approach so be it. Don't make up crap about randoms on OCN. You don't like fine it. Don't bullshit me about intelligence.

I'll have to go dig around to find a seal I broke on an EK fitting literally doing this with a datavac last year and post it here. That's why I'll repeat, I personally wouldn't do this after I learned my lesson the first time around.

Edit : best picture I could take with my iPhone. So back story on this is I read about compressed air used to flush radiators so I figured I'd do that to my loop to change out the water. I have a hard line loop with EK fittings and after I drained the water, there was residual left so I figured I'd keep the drain open and blow compressed air through the reservoir using a tube connected to it and the datavac. It blew most of the water out and I guess as a result pushed one of the tubes loose enough to sheer the second inner seal. I didn't notice until I started the PC back up and noticed a very tiny leak coming from the fitting. When I removed it and looked at it, I saw a tiny rip in the inner seal. I debur all my petg lines where there isn't a single rough edge on them (it wasn't from the initial assembly) and the loop was fine until I forced air into it.
7CC1363F-2180-412D-98D1-2455A1468FBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Back