I have the following

*iLife
*iWorks
*Toast
*Firefox
*Handbrake
*Transmission for my anime
*Unison

What else am I missing? I don't chat online. What is a good program to work with my dslr photos with? I know that CS3 is available, but that is a bit out of my price range and knowledge level.

Have you tried GIMP? http://www.gimp.org/

Free Photoshop equivalent. Works on Windows, OS X, and Linux.

You have to get used to the layout and how the menus work, but once you do it is great to use.

I also use VLC (I hate iTunes), Cyberduck for FTP, Nvu for HTML and I like MS office 2008

What do you intend to do with your photos? iPhoto handles RAW and does basic touch-ups, crop, re-size, etc. Aperture or Lightroom are both good for processing high quality photos.

Aperture, Lightroom (it works on Windows too, and it seems, to have better RAW processing) and iPhoto is what I would recommend. You could try the demo for Photonic if you use Flickr a lot.

Edit: Pixelmator is a good, low-cost image editing program, but it can be buggy from my experiences.

Aperture, Lightroom (it works on Windows too, and it seems, to have better RAW processing) and iPhoto is what I would recommend. You could try the demo for Photonic if you use Flickr a lot.

Edit: Pixelmator is a good, low-cost image editing program, but it can be buggy from my experiences.
Good call, I forgot about Pixelmator. It's gotten a ton better but is still missing a few things to replace my Photoshop. I like the interface way better than Photoshop though.

I use GIMP, Office (I hate OpenOffice, don't know why), and Cyberduck for the little bit of FTP work I do. And if you ask me, VLC is a absolute necessity.

Here are my additions to your list:

1Password (the best password manager)
TextMate (excellent text editor)
7zX (7z compression)
AdiumX (IM client)

If anyone knows of a better 7z compression manager I'd be interested.

Many suggest AdiumX, and I guess that's what you should get for AIM. However, I swear by iChat+Chax, as AdiumX doesn't do certain things the way I like, compared to iChat+Chax. However, I am apparently the only person in the world who thinks so. :p

VLC - excellent media player
Lightroom - I use it for RAW, but it's not incredibly cheap.
Vidalia - probably unnecessary - I use it for security, as it is essentially a TOR GUI
Skype - you know the drill

for your photos, I reccommend trying iPhoto, them if you find that it isn't enough for you, try a demo of aperture. I used lightroom up until the release of aperture 2. I think with the few new added features in aperture 2, apple has really hit the spot with it. I liked lightroom, but aperture is just a bit better to me.

File Zilla for FTP
Flip4 Mac to allow wmv & avi to play in quicktime
UnrarX - If you need to extract RaR files

Recently I have been using LittleSnitch for my firewall. I am extremely pleased with it.

Virtualization for my VMware replacement.

Found a few others.

Paragon NTFS for MAC - enables NTFS read/write support
Zipeg - ZIP file support
MacPAR deLuxe - repairs extracts Newsgroup downloads
VisualHub - reauthoring videos

for NTFS access I'd recommend Macfuse. OS X has built-in "zip" (Archive) support. Last two are great apps. Unison for Newsgroups is the best as well. Also, Split & Concat comes in handy along with MacPar.

Transmit is the best for FTP, but it costs. Cyberduck is probably the best free FTP client. A few other useful apps are Mactracker if you have to look up specs on past macs, Apple Remote Desktop if you have to manage/access other macs on your network, Disco for burning/copying discs, MacTheRipper for...ummm, backing up your DVDs that have encryption on them :D, and WhatSize is a good little app to find where all your space has gone :p

Perian for quicktime so you can play animu and stuffs in mastroka with h264 and etc.
Quicksilver. Once you go quicksilver you never go back.
Things. By far the best todo manager ever.
Netnewswire. I've tried all the OS X rss readers and I prefer it to the others.
Camino. Because Firefox has no services integration and looks awful.
Textmate. The best IDE around for OS X.
Transmit. Could use a GUI update to match the leopard UI but otherwise a solid FTP client.
xScope. Priceless tools for doing any sort of web design. Almost as useful for interface and print design.
Delicious Library. Great for keeping track of all the media (books, music, movies and games) you own.
Max. I haven't found a better ripping application yet. I wish something on OS X did flac on the fly instead of wav->flac.
Mac Ports for all your CLI unix apps.
If you ever do any chat or messaging in the future, Adium X.
For image editing you could try Pixelmator. It is a good alternative for hobbyists to Photoshop. Currently lacks many things needed to replace photoshop for professionals though.

I have the following

*iLife
*iWorks
*Toast
*Firefox
*Handbrake
*Transmission for my anime
*Unison

What else am I missing? I don't chat online. What is a good program to work with my dslr photos with? I know that CS3 is available, but that is a bit out of my price range and knowledge level.

What all do you use the mac for?
iCyclone - manual fan speed control
CSSEdit
Delicious Library 2 - cool tool to scan your DVDs with the camera on a laptop and have the image display on a bookshelf. A way to manage your DVD collection
FileZilla
Adium
OmniWeb
Opera
MPlayer (works better than VLC for some uses)
xMod - maintenance tool
xSpinner - modify looks of the OS
Aperature
Candy Bar
1Password
Xcode - software development

forgot to add virtualbox from Sun. Nice virtual software other than VM that is completely free

Thanks for the Mplayer idea. VLC did me wonders on XP but it doesn't play nice on Mac it seems like.

Time Machine no good for you?

Before Time Machine I used SuperDuper! to back up my HDD before upgrading to a larger size or mailing my MacBook in for service, worked perfectly every time, so well in fact that I purchased the enhanced version.

Thanks for the Mplayer idea. VLC did me wonders on XP but it doesn't play nice on Mac it seems like.

Did you try Perian for quicktime? Works much better than mplayer or VLC on OS X. If you do keep VLC around for the few things such as ogm that cannot be played with perian yet, I recommend you grab a nightly build. Much more stable than 0.8.x

http://www.perian.org/
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

Has anyone tried out Mozy for backing up stuff?

Carbon Copy Cloner works well if you want a bootable backup or don't like Time Machine for some other reason.

Did you try Perian for quicktime? Works much better than mplayer or VLC on OS X. If you do keep VLC around for the few things such as ogm that cannot be played with perian yet, I recommend you grab a nightly build. Much more stable than 0.8.x

http://www.perian.org/
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

Carbon Copy Cloner works well if you want a bootable backup or don't like Time Machine for some other reason.
FWIW, Mozy != CCC or SuperDuper!

Mozy is an online backup solution and it works good if you have the bandwidth to support it. I use SuperDuper (purchased it infact) to clone my Movie drive with another drive. CCC is another grat alternative, but for the normal user that doesn't have specific needs, you can't beat Time Machine that just does everything for you.

Have you tried GIMP? http://www.gimp.org/

Free Photoshop equivalent. Works on Windows, OS X, and Linux.

You have to get used to the layout and how the menus work, but once you do it is great to use.

I also use VLC (I hate iTunes), Cyberduck for FTP, Nvu for HTML and I like MS office 2008
GIMP is not, not, NOT a Photoshop equivalent in any way shape or form.

Also, OmniWeb is the best browser evar. It's like $20 or something, and totally worth it.

My Most Used Apps:

FTP / SFTP -- Fugu
FTP -- Fetch
Search / Program Launcher -- Quicksilver (Cool search tool...)
WiFi Scanner -- AirRadar
AppUninstaller -- AppCleaner
CarbonCopyCloner -- Backup / Image Tool
Text Editor -- TextMate
Ripping / Encoding -- Handbrake
Ripping -- MacTheRipper
Disk Inventory Information -- Disk Inventory X (Based upon WinDirStat)
Sound Editing -- Audacity

Search / Program Launcher -- Quicksilver (This is much better than Spotlight...)
1: Quicksilver does not do the same thing as Spotlight, from a usability perspective.
2: Spotlight is actually a framework for file searching, and not just the little blue thing in the corner.
3: Quicksilver uses Spotlight.

Edit: However, Quicksilver is awesome and I fully endorse it!

Yes, you are correct. I spoke too soon without realizing the program! Wow, and I've been using it for a while....

Well, I love it though....

Back