Looking to upgrade for gaming

BoWser

Limp Gawd
I know i have to likley upgrade most of my components, but can anyone recommend what i should buy? Right now i'm thinking for sure Radeon 9800 pro, but should i get a 2500+ or save some more and get a better cpu then that? Also, i have 2 ram sticks, a 256 mb pc2100 and a 512 pc2700. Would getting a diffrent stick of ram to replace the 256 one benefit me much?

Memory:

It may a little, in certain parts of certain games, but not much. Most intensive FPSs right now seem to eat about 600MB memory if you have it.

Video:

Definately. 9800Pro is best bang for the buck right now, BIG upgrade from 8500LE (I went 8500 -> 9600Pro -> 9800Pro and it was a big jump both times).

CPU:

You will be a decent increase in performance, but to get your worth out of a 333mhz FSB CPU (2500+) you need to have PC2700 or PC3200. If you want to upgrade CPU, go ahead and look at another 512MB PC2700, or even better, get this if you can afford it.

If you are just looking for bang for your buck, IMO, just get a 9800Pro and keep your current setup, maybe look into a 120GB WD 8MB Cache for <$100 @ newegg. 40GB doesn't go too far now a-days :p

Bill is right. Get different memory. Crucial, Kingston, Corsair are all good.

I would HIGHLY recommend spending the few extra $ for the retail CPU. Even if you are using a 3rd party HSF, the 3 yr warranty is worth it. 15 days vs. 3 yrs? It's only $5 more. Isn't that piece of mind worth $5?

Get some nice Kingston or Corsair DDR400, a Radeon 9800 Pro, and a new heatsink and overclock that proc o' yours a bit, and I say you are set sir.

If you can, I would recommend waiting a couple of months before you upgrade. Mobos with PCI-Express should begin hitting the market soon, and it sounds like it could go a long way in improving system performance. Combine that with the fact that both ATI and nVidia are coming out with completely new next-gen VPUs (the R420 and NV40, respectively) in the spring, and I think you're better off waiting a bit.

Thanks guys for your opinions. I think i got a good idea of what i'm going to get now. As for wating for pci-express, i'm going to do that for my next system which will be a athlon 64. I currenty have kingston ram, so that must be a good sign. I see the point of getting the retail cpu, thanks for the heads up and finally, I will probably get the crucial ram, it was only $5 more for better quality.

Originally posted by CypressTree
If you can, I would recommend waiting a couple of months before you upgrade. Mobos with PCI-Express should begin hitting the market soon, and it sounds like it could go a long way in improving system performance. Combine that with the fact that both ATI and nVidia are coming out with completely new next-gen VPUs (the R420 and NV40, respectively) in the spring, and I think you're better off waiting a bit.

I was thinking along the same lines. I would wait... actually I am waiting. I've been waiting since I built this comp. I'm trying hard to live with this GF3 Ti 500, and its doing a damn good job, but I can't wait to build a new PC... I'm just waiting on all the new stuff :D

I would do radeon 9800pro, 1gig ddr, and an afx if you want a rig for gaming.

Back