Looking to sidegrade for cool/quiet - advice request.

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 24, 2006
Messages
1,429
Ok, I'm looking at making my rig a cooler & quieter. I don't game as much as I used to, but I do use it for multimedia production / business.

I'd like to swap out my MSI 8800GT. (NX8800GT-T2D512E-OC with the copper cooler. ) I have 2 monitors. 22" @ 1680x1050 & a 24" @ 1920x1080. So of course I need a card that can run full screen HD video on both monitors (simultaneously) w/o problems.

I need something that has a quiet fan / fanless that can fill my needs.

Any suggestions?
 
You have no choice but to get one of the lower/middle end 5000 series cards from ATI. Quite as a mouse in 2D, low power consumption, DX11.

.
 
My 8800GT is dead silent with a Accelero S1 Rev2. I run it passively in my well ventilated case.
 
Criccio, thank you for the suggestion, but in my situation, if I run a 8800GT passively, I'll have to increase fan speed elsewhere and that defeats the purpose of running a silent system.
 
just put an HR03GT on your 8800GT and be fanless, it'll run it passively if you have a good airflow
 
Honestly a 5750 or a 5770 would be the only logical decision at this point in time. Another, cheaper, alternative would be a 4770, or to wait for the upcoming 5670.
 
Honestly a 5750 or a 5770 would be the only logical decision at this point in time. Another, cheaper, alternative would be a 4770, or to wait for the upcoming 5670.

Seconded. The 5770 would be quite an upgrade, despite your claims of "sidegrade." And the idle power of the 5770 puts your 8800GT to shame (8800GT = 9800GT), and the two use exactly the same power under load.

So, you get nearly twice the performance (if you ever want to game), and very quiet idle usage / video playback when you don't want to game.
 
Interesting. Thank you for the suggestion Rauelius & defaultluser. I wouldn't mind upgrading, but the most important thing is to run cool and quiet. (as I'm sure gaming in my blood won't go away completely)

Quick question, per GPU Review comparison, the 5750 'seems' to have a lower Texture fill rate. Is that accurate or more to the question would that effect any in game experience?

Thank you again!
 
Don't really have any answer per your texture fill question. Just giving a second with the 8800GT->5770 upgrade. I recently did this move myself, and I couldn't be happier with it. In my situation, my computer is right next to my head, so the lower sound is definitely nice.
 
the msi gts 250 1gb twin frozr looks pretty nifty. been eyeing that card for htpc use, the cooler looks like an expensive thermalright type cooler on it. It's like $140ish at the egg.
 
thanks Schenksmill... looks like I'll be saving up for a 5770 now. Dam video cards drain the money. my 8800GT cost me $200 when I first bought it, now looks like my next card will be close to the same price after shipping.
 
Back
Top