Looking to replace an i7-2600 setup

So, the motherboard that I'm using for my i7-2600 is failing. Integrated network is spotty, the primary PCI-e slot is sketchy at best. It's time to replace the entire thing, really. I want to get ten years out of the next build. The primary use for this system is ripping discs that I purchase for the digital library. I'm part way through a 1800 disc library. I won't reuse much, maybe not even the 2TB platter drive that's in it. Only the optical drives will be reused.

What I'm looking at is a second gen AMD Threadripper 12-core with 64GB DDR4-3200, and several solid state drives in RAID, with a 10Gb fibre connection (that I already have) for the LAN. I use DVDFab to rip my physical to digital. What I really need help with is hardware acceleration. Video cards are my trouble. I'm not up to date with a lot of this, yet, though I have done some research. I'm leaning toward an RTX2070 for this build. Obviously, when ripping a library like this, time matters.

In case it matters, probably two thirds of what I rip is UHD, though there are still enough 1080 discs to rip. I rip to h265 MKV files. The question becomes, what video card will offer the best assistance with the speed of the rip? Price matters a little...the card I have chosen is $390. In the sub-$500 range, what card will serve me best in this usage? Thanks.

I’m sure you have your reasons but I’m curious why not just go with a 3900x if you’re only after 12 cores?

I want...and maybe need the 64 PCI-e lanes of the TR. Even the third gen doesn't do that, and for what I do, PCI-e 3.0 x16 will never get saturated, so the NEED for PCI-e 4.0 isnt there. I know there wont be an upgrade path this route, but I THINK I am OK with it. If I can find a 16 core for the right price, I may do that, but the base "want" is 12. Thanks for the input, y'all.

Are you looking to encode using Nvenc or CPU? I haven't used DVDFab in years to know what compression it uses (or doesn't use). Do you reencode using handbrake or something after you rip?

The question becomes, what video card will offer the best assistance with the speed of the rip? Price matters a little...the card I have chosen is $390. In the sub-$500 range, what card will serve me best in this usage? Thanks.

Look into the quality of these rips. What program are you going to use? Intel QuickSync is still really good and for example in Handbrake much of the work is actually offloaded from the CPU. Where as, at least with AMD's VCE, the CPU still ends up doing a lot of the computation (in Handbrake). Various programs have different levels of control over the video card encoders, which can affect quality. QuickSync is the most mature, but does require you use an Intel system.

EDIT: In the case of video encoding specifically, I don't know that the video card itself really affects the speed much. I think it's a specific part of the video card that is doing the work and is more specific to the generation of the video card, not the exact model. For example, on AMD the following cards all use the same VCE encoder RX 460, 470, 480, RX 550, 560, 570, 580.

So, I use a i7-8700K at 5.2GHz across all six cores to convert from time to time, and Quick Sync is horribly slow. Best I can get is about 90fps. My i7-2600 with a GTX960 was good for 160 or so. That motherboard is on the fritz, so, lots wrong with that machine. To the point nVidia CUDA cores are where the acceleration is, particularly with h265. DVDFab rips that to the MKV container with my settings of 5Mbps for video in 1080 and 18Mbps in 4K. For the nVidia solution, I am assuming that more CUDA cores is better. I dont know anything of the AMD solutions, though.

DVDFab can compress via software (slow), CPU (a little better), or video card acceleration, the fastest. Looking at a 1080 versus a 2070, if I remember right, pricing was such that the newer card made sense to me, but, this is a game I have been out of long enough, that research alone isn't enough, hence reaching out here. Thanks again.

I know Turing has better encoders than Pascal, but I am by no means an expert.

I know Turing has better encoders than Pascal, but I am by no means an expert.

This is what I would assume as well. Part of why I had figured to go ahead and upgrade from the 960. It has served its purpose at this point. I don't know what I'll do with it...it is a perfectly good card...I just need more. THanks.

This is what I would assume as well. Part of why I had figured to go ahead and upgrade from the 960. It has served its purpose at this point. I don't know what I'll do with it...it is a perfectly good card...I just need more. THanks.

I don't know that the RTX features are necessary. If you're set on Turing, I'd almost look at a ~$250AR/Coupon 1660Ti rather than something like a 2060/2070. Than again, even though the encoders are slower, a high end Pascal card might be worth it for you (say a used ~$400 1080Ti or something) in terms of performance per dollar for Nvenc.

That's interesting you say that, kirbyrj. Sorry for the late response here...was away for the weekend. My first thought was a 1660/1660Ti. I had just wondered if higher speeds from the RTX series, combined with more CUDA cores would be worth the additional ~$100. The research that I have done, along with information gleaned here has been pretty helpful. I'd say that y'all have pointed me in the right directions. Thanks again.

Back