Looking to get some new audio stuff.

crfracer290

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
434
Well after hearing some of my friends high end Senn headphones, I really want to upgrade my audio on my PC.

Right now I am running the onboard sound card that comes with an Asus Commando and I have a set of Bose Companion 3 headphones and Bose companion 3 2.1 speakers...YES, I know Bose sucks, but I got the headphones and speakers for 125 because my Uncle used to work at Bose. Now the speakers are pretty nice, they don't have much lows, but they are OK. The headphones however are no where near as good to my friends.

What I would like to get is a new sound card and a decent set of headphones both for under 200 dollars.

What would you guys recommend for me in this price range, I have never bought or researched audio much so I know next to nothing. Thanks, Matt
 
under $200?

x-fi extreme music and some audio technica A500 or A700 or Senn 485 or 555.
 
Senn 580 no doubt if going with Sennheiser.

Soundcard... perhaps the XFi Xtreme music if you have some gaming inclinations.
 
I am going to be using the headphones for gaming and music.

I really like my friends Senn's because of how comfy and light they are...My impression of this brand is that all there stuff is great quality, correct.?
 
yeah Senn is a very good headphone company but for the $$ you have to spend it would be hard to get an X-Fi and anything other than a 485 or 555 unless you buy them used on Head-Fi or Ebay.
 
yeah Senn is a very good headphone company but for the $$ you have to spend it would be hard to get an X-Fi and anything other than a 485 or 555 unless you buy them used on Head-Fi or Ebay.

This is the biggest issue. $200 for headphones and a sound card just isn't enough for anything drastic. An X-Fi XtremeMusic is going to run about $90, which doesn't leave much for most of the cans your going to find recommended. My best reccomendation is up your budget by about $30, and get an X-Fi XM and Audio Technica A700.

I am going to be using the headphones for gaming and music.

I really like my friends Senn's because of how comfy and light they are...My impression of this brand is that all there stuff is great quality, correct.?

All, no? They do have quite a few really good headphones, but there are some that are much better than others. Don't assume that just because its a Sennheiser its going to be awesome.

Senn 580 no doubt if going with Sennheiser.

Soundcard... perhaps the XFi Xtreme music if you have some gaming inclinations.

The 580 isn't necessarily the no-brainier of the Senn line. It is a fantastic can, I love mine, but they really do need an amp to be driven properly, which is definitely out of his budget. HD555 or 595 would be easier to drive, and therefor probably work better for him.
 
the HD580's are amazing cans, but really need to be amped. I cannot recommend them unamped with good conscience.
 
the only senns that work well unamped are the 485, 555 and to a lesser degree the 595.

the 595 sounded great out of a psp lol. it sounded WAY better out of my SQ-84($1000) and Darkvoice 332($400) but it had better.

I would STRONGLY reccommend the 555 for you.
 
Back
Top