• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking to build a new computer.

AcidBurn26

n00b
Joined
Sep 26, 2001
Messages
32
I am looking to build a new computer. I am looking at a dual core cpu that will overclock well. I am looking at buying a motherboard, cpu, ram and video card. Any recommendations?
 
if you're not looking for SLI support, and you're willing to go for TCCD base memory, then you could save some cash by going for the BFG board, and have a pretty well matched set.

for myself, i would have liked to get a NF4 for the better overclocking, however since i was able to afford a substantially better video card if i stuck with AGP.......well, here i am. limited overclocking, blazing vid card all the same. i just wish that some place had stock of the 3200 venice around here, when i was buying. :(

i was able to pick up this card for less than what a 6800 GT would have run me, just to be clear that i DID consider nVidia. again, i went where the performance was, in my price range.
 
KaptainBlaZzed said:
X2 3800+
DFI NF4 ultra-d
7800gtx or gt
OCZ platinum Revision 2 or any other TCCD based RAM


my exact setup with an evga 7800gt
my ultra-d is also modded to SLI
 
AcidBurn26 said:
I am looking for a board that supports SLI. Also how well does the X2 3800+ OC?

the ultra-d can be easily modded to SLI using the conductive pencil trick. All you have to do is connect two leads which are about a centimeter apart. Check out dfi-street.com for more info.

also the x2 3800 ocs very well, check out the reviews on the anandtech or check the x2 3800 OC thread right here!
 
The Premium is expensive :(.

Get 2GB of RAM with an X2. Think of 1GB like only having 512mb per processor :cool: .
 
AcidBurn26 said:
What do you guys think of Asus A8N-SLI Premium?
it doesn't overclock as well as the DFI, it has many of the same reliability problems that the DFI does, and it's overpriced as compared to other boards that overclock to the same level.

just a word of reccomendation for mushkin memory: not as popular as the OCZ stuff, however it is DAMN fine memory, with great support and warrenty.

just a note: i HATE DFI, and had a tonne of problems with my old one. pay a visit to dfi-street to have a look at the problems that some users have with their boards, before you decide that you are "up to" a DFI board.
 
DFI Daishi said:
it doesn't overclock as well as the DFI, it has many of the same reliability problems that the DFI does, and it's overpriced as compared to other boards that overclock to the same level.

just a word of reccomendation for mushkin memory: not as popular as the OCZ stuff, however it is DAMN fine memory, with great support and warrenty.

just a note: i HATE DFI, and had a tonne of problems with my old one. pay a visit to dfi-street to have a look at the problems that some users have with their boards, before you decide that you are "up to" a DFI board.

The dfi lan party boards are very "quirky" to say the least. It took me 2 1/2 days to get this thing to OC at all, but now its clicking right along.....definately not a board for the faint of heart and very little patience.

The Asus boards aren't that expensive compared to others in that feature range. I was very happy with my sli-dlx mobo, it oc'd very well (375 htt) and was simple to get going. My only nit pick with it, was it wouldn't let me run 1T w/2 x 1gb sticks.

Check this page for x2 3800 oc's. The average is about 2.7ghz :cool:
 
I am a bit hesistant with going with DFI. I do not want to sacrifice reliability. I am interested in Asus because I have had a good run with them. Also the extra PCI slot. How does the Abit do?
 
AcidBurn26 said:
I am a bit hesistant with going with DFI. I do not want to sacrifice reliability. I am interested in Asus because I have had a good run with them. Also the extra PCI slot. How does the Abit do?

well if you plan to overclock and are determined to work at it to get the best results, then get the DFI

if your want to overclock moderately with voltage limits, get the ASUS.

but if yout really want to learn, I would get the DFI, why go the easy route? Once the lanparty's settings are configured, it is VERY stable! and with support forums and building guides at dfi-street, its not complicated.
 
Challenges do not bother me. I have been OC ing every computer I have had but i am having issue with not having the extra PCI slot for my soundcard, and scsi card. I have a wireless card in my computer also but I am thinking of ditching it but i like to have at least one free.
 
Back
Top