Looking into cheaper VR headset for my kiddos

DejaWiz

Fully [H]
Hello, [H]orde!
Wanting to get my boys (15 and 16 YO) a VR headset for PC gaming (maybe XB1 compatible, if that's a thing) if it's even capable, but I know jack-squat about the tech.
Not looking to break the bank, so maybe around $300 max.

Their PC specs are so-so:
Ryzen 5500
GTX 980Ti
16GB
Win10 Pro

Is a VR headset even feasible?

XB1 VR isn't a thing.

PC-wise: CPU is fine. GPU is pretty anemic. It won't do VR particularly well without a GPU upgrade, but it will do it.

Headset-wise: Quest 2. Holiday sales put the 128gb model at $250, or the 256gb at $300. (Used, they're running <$200.) Excellent for standalone VR. Add a $25 off-brand link cable for hardwired PC link -- or, if you have excellent wifi, you can do it wirelessly.

Otherwise your options are, largely, used headsets that are out of production. Most new stuff in the PCVR space runs a grand or more to get started.

The 980Ti will run most VR games from 2021 and earlier with no problem. The Quest 2 with link cable is your best bet.

What games are you boys interested in?

The 980Ti will run most VR games from 2021 and earlier with no problem. The Quest 2 with link cable is your best bet.

What games are you boys interested in?

No idea! LOL
I really know nothing about VR headsets and gaming.
...they merely expressed interest, so I'm thinking of springing for a headset to get them for Christmas.

Oculus Quest 2.

The official link cable is overpriced, either buy a 3rd party one, or, setup Steamlink (free), or use virtual desktop ($20 app), and you can do PCVR wirelessly.

A GTX 980ti is a older card, but it will still do VR ok.

Couple of votes for the Quest 2, so that's probably what we'll go with.
128 or 256 GB version matter much?

Buy the cheaper one. The larger storage is only useful if you intend to buy a lot of standalone games for the quest 2. If doing mainly PCVR, it doesn't matter.

Also, look into getting a new headstrap, stock one is pretty bad, halo style is most comfortable, but you might also look for one with a built in battery if you like longer gaming sessions.

If you or someone else uses glasses, you can also buy prescription lens inserts so you don't have glasses squished against your face.

Buy the cheaper one. The larger storage is only useful if you intend to buy a lot of standalone games for the quest 2. If doing mainly PCVR, it doesn't matter.

Also, look into getting a new headstrap, stock one is pretty bad, halo style is most comfortable, but you might also look for one with a built in battery if you like longer gaming sessions.

If you or someone else uses glasses, you can also buy prescription lens inserts so you don't have glasses squished against your face.

Thank you.
128GB to save $50, it is.
Any recommendations for the head strap... Amazon links with Prime shipping would be a bonus.

I'd say it's kind of a toss-up.

On the one hand, the 128gb model saves you $50.

On the other, the smaller model could get a little tight -- particularly if the two of them are loading different games on it. That $50 could go a ways towards keeping the peace.

Your call.

I'd say it's kind of a toss-up.

On the one hand, the 128gb model saves you $50.

On the other, the smaller model could get a little tight -- particularly if the two of them are loading different games on it. That $50 could go a ways towards keeping the peace.

Your call.

Excellent point!

Excellent point!

Buy the bigger one. Games are getting bigger all the time and better. Asgard's Wrath 2 is 28GB.

Once your sons see that they can use it without needing a PC at all, they will probably use most that way. And that's when you will need the space as they buy native Quest 2 games.

Back