Looking for upgrade advice to build toward SLI

Hello all;

First post here so please forgive anything I don't know.

I'm getting about 50 fps on the lowest settings on Breakpoint. I'm looking to upgrade to improve that framerate.

1586188787295.png

Current Mobo ASUS M51AC
32g DDR3
I also have 2 SSD so nothing to change there.

I'm looking at these parts as a potential upgrade.

Asus Strix z-390E
i7-9700f
16g DDR4

I don't care so much about how pretty a game is as I care about hitting a smooth framerate. Target framerate would be 144hz, but anything over 90 and I'd be happy. Long term, I'd like buy another 980 and run SLI.

So, I am looking for some advice on the most economic way to achieve smooth gameplay on higher-end titles. With the current situation, any cash kept in hand is ideal so minimizing cost if I am to upgrade, is important but, I'm looking for a good solution, not a stop gap.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

SLI - in theory? Great.
SLI - in practice? Horrible.

I had a 2x Titan Xp setup that I thought would last and crush everything I wanted, but game support was getting less and less (it's software based, if you didn't know - otherwise the hardware just sits there sucking power and generating heat with no effect whatsoever). Eventually I had upgrade to keep FPS at a point I was satisfied with.

In hindsight, I should have saved the money and jumped generations vs getting additional card to go SLI. Don't make the same mistake as me.

SLI - in theory? Great.
SLI - in practice? Horrible.

I had a 2x Titan Xp setup that I thought would last and crush everything I wanted, but game support was getting less and less (it's software based, if you didn't know - otherwise the hardware just sits there sucking power and generating heat with no effect whatsoever). Eventually I had upgrade to keep FPS at a point I was satisfied with.

In hindsight, I should have saved the money and jumped generations vs getting additional card to go SLI. Don't make the same mistake as me.

Thanks a ton for this advice.

I'll save you the trouble. Ghost Recon Breakpoint doesn't work worth a shit in SLI. SLI's poor game support is why I finally went with a single RTX 2080 Ti when I last upgraded graphics cards. For every generation of card before that, be it AMD or NVIDIA, I had run two or three cards in SLI dating all the way back to the GeForce 6800 Ultra days. I also rarely skipped graphics card generations. I've had nearly countless graphics cards as a result. I've been happy with SLI and Crossfire for the most part, often having better luck than most. That all changed with the GTX 1080 Ti SLI setup I had. There were so few games that worked with it, that I knew it would be my last SLI setup.

If I thought for a minute that I'd get a 30-50% boost in the games I play, I'd buy a second RTX 2080 Ti for SLI and water cool it. Destiny 2 is the only game that I play right now that actually likes SLI and it runs so well that there is no point in doing so.

yup, what they said ^^ sli and cf are basically dead for now. get the best card you possibly can and call it a day.

You're going to need at least a 2070 Super to have any chance of that (and that would be at more like medium settings). See here:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...eakpoint-vulkan-vs-dx11-performance-analysis/

This is an incredibly GPU-demanding game. You can only max out performance at 1080p 144hz if you buy a 2080 Ti.

You're definitely GPU-limited right now (look at GTX 1060 6GB for similar performance), so I might buy the GPU first.

And WWCFtech did a CPU scaling test on the origjal DX11 game. Looks like a 9900k at 4c 8th delivers 140 fps average:

index.png

You'll probably drop down to 90-100 fps (you're running previous generation Haswell at 3.5 ghz. The 9900k is clocked 40% faster than your 4770k stock.)

And the results under Vulkan will probably be even higher!

BUY THE VIDEO CARD FIRST BEFORE YOU CHUCK THE REST OF YOUR SYSTEM. You'll probably get 110-120 fps average out of a RTX 2070 Super at high.

Last edited:
Save the money on the second 980, sell your other one, and buy whatever the most expensive Nvidia card you can buy with the two dollar amounts. Looks like those are going from between $125-200 depending on your model. Entry level 2060s start at $300.

The unfortunate reality is that the dollar ceiling on the top GPU has gone up. I don't think I spent as much on my first TitanX maxwell (had single GPU) but then Pascal Titan Xp (got 2 of these) went up and don't even mention Titan RTX (I just said nope!)... they more than doubled in price from Pascal to RTX IIRC. Whatever you spent on the 980s back then honestly just isn't going to go as far in the current generations as it did back then. Sad truth.

Back