• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for the perfect little server case

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
30,481
I'm looking for the perfect case. I have two servers:

1. WHS 2011 server. Currently has 6 1TB WD Green Drives, and a full size Intel BadAxe-2 MB with a 2.66Ghz P4 in it. 8GB RAM. I think it has a PCPC 700 Watt supply (this stuff tends to meld together in the head after a while :)) This is currently stuffed into a big ass Lian-Li case. I think it's a V2000 ?

2. 2008R2 Server. This is used strictly for Virtualization, and running several OS's, Test OS's, etc... It currently has three 500GB drives, an ASUS P8H67-M Pro/CSM MB, 12GB RAM, and an i5 2400 processor. This is currently stuffed into a tiny little ThermalTake case.

The first one is too damned big. The second one fits, but it's so small you can't work with any of the drive connectors or power connectors with everything in place. There's not enough clearance. Note - this was not the original use for this machine. It was a controller for a guitar pedal/effects unit that I've since ceased using, so I re-purposed it. When it only had one drive it was just dandy.

I'm looking for something in the middle. Smaller the better, but must have clear access to all the wiring connectors, drive connectors, etc.. when full of stuff.

I want it to hold a minimum of 6 internal 3.5" HD's, with easy install, removal and connections.

It must have sufficient cooling for that many drives, even if I use Barracuda's, WD Blacks, or Velociraptors.

Needs to hold standard ATX supplies, and standard ATX and MicroATX motherboards.

I don't care one bit about 5.25" devices. It can have zero as far as I care.

Lightweight. I'm getting too old for heavy cases :)

Simple, square, black, traditional. Don't want or need flashing neon lights, clear doors, plastic shit that makes it look like a bird, or any other such nonsense.

Cost under $100. Closer to $50 is what I'm shooting for.

Cooling, drive capacity, MB compatiblity and serviceability are my primary concerns.

I want to be able to get from Amazon overnight, today, for delivery tomorrow. I will be putting all of my servers in this case and I want to standardize.

I totally adore the Corsair 650, which I use for my main desktop, but it's too pricey for this project. And a bit big. Every desktop I build from this point will use the 600D.

Lay it on me!

Thanks :)
 
Last edited:
My server is a Cooler Master Centurion 5 with this 5.25 to 3.5 bay fan thing http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=40. It's an AMD e-350 build though so not exactly super powerful.

It's quiet, I think I have the stock case fans running at 7v or something and replaced the silverstone fan with a yate loon.

I have no idea how many hard drives I have. I think 6. 1 1tb and 5 2tb's. Running Munin to monitor drive temps everything stays nice and cool. It's not perfect, but it's cheap and feels reasonably well built.
 

Second this one. This is what I use. Surprisingly good case for the price!

Out of time. Went with two of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Technologies-...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329504354&sr=8-1-spell

Seems to meet all my requirements and price :)

Oops.. Too late.

How come you don't virtualize both into the same case, and sell off the parts you no longer need? :p

I just started experimenting with ESXi 5.0 and it is AWESOME.

Within a couple of hours of doing my first test install, I had learned enough that I felt comfortable consolidating my two server boxes and my consumer router into VM's on the ESXi box. it surprised me how easy it was.

Now I have uncluttered my basement, and sold off a few hundred bucks worth of hardware I no longer need, not to mention using less power :)
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually I was running WHS as a Hyper-V for a long time :)
 
Ok, got both servers re-cased in the NZXT's Saturday. No real issues encountered. Probably about the best $50 case I've seen.

Had one issue on the one for the WHS server in that the power supply is a PCPC Silencer 750, which is a long-ass power supply and because of this could not use the lower fan option. No biggie. Not like it doesn't have lots more :)
 
Back
Top