• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for some simple upgrade advice (real simple!) :)

vertigofm

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 25, 2006
Messages
124
Alright, I'm a real simple guy just wanting to do an affordable upgrade to play games.

Current system:

AM2+ Motherboard
4G DDR2 Ram
Phenom II X4 940 processor
NVIDIA GTX 460.

All I really want to do is upgrade the RAM and Video Card. I realize that to do that I'll need a new MOBO (I want DDR 3 RAM- it's cheaper currently than DDR2).

Basically, just looking for a good MOBO under $90, good ram under $60-75. And a good video card for around $150.

I'll take any recommendations!

Thanks,

Frank
 
What case and PSU do you have?
Whats the max resolution of your monitor?
What games are you playing?

You will need a new CPU if you want DDR3 RAM as the Phenom II 940 never supported DDR3 RAM or sockets that could use DDR3 RAM.
 
Oh, crap, that's right it's a socket AM2+.... Grrrr.....

My PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W

My Case: GIGABYTE KF Series GZ-KF01B Black SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Max Monitor Resolution: 1680X1050

Game: Everything. Black Ops 2, Skyrim, Far Cry 3 (soon)
 
Alright, I'm a real simple guy just wanting to do an affordable upgrade to play games.

Current system:

AM2+ Motherboard
4G DDR2 Ram
Phenom II X4 940 processor
NVIDIA GTX 460.

All I really want to do is upgrade the RAM and Video Card. I realize that to do that I'll need a new MOBO (I want DDR 3 RAM- it's cheaper currently than DDR2).

Basically, just looking for a good MOBO under $90, good ram under $60-75. And a good video card for around $150.

I'll take any recommendations!

Thanks,

Frank
a)Mobo:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131754R
b)Great RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-SAMSUNG-_-20147096
GPU: ehh..keep what you have, and save for more powerful card in 6 mos/1yr maybe? or.. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD5850-PCIE-1024-CO&cat=VCD 5850 is still a beast!

rut oh..You need new CPU..hmm..forego the GPU and get 965 BE and a cooler :D
 
Ok, in order to get a noticeable and therefore justifiable upgrade over your current GTX 460, you'll need to spend $185 for this HD 7850 2GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131473

In regards to RAM just get used DDR2 RAM from the forums or anywhere that has them for really cheap. Don't worry about timings or clock speed. A new 2x2GB set of DDR2 RAM will cost you $43:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148160

So a used RAM set or "good deal" on new DDR2 RAM would be have to be lower than that.

EDIT: I would not go with schmuckley's recommendations since he forgot that the Phenom II X4 940 doesn't support DDR3 RAM and is also completely incompatible with that mobo.
 
Ok, in order to get a noticeable and therefore justifiable upgrade over your current GTX 460, you'll need to spend $185 for this HD 7850 2GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131473

In regards to RAM just get used DDR2 RAM from the forums or anywhere that has them for really cheap. Don't worry about timings or clock speed. A new 2x2GB set of DDR2 RAM will cost you $43:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148160

So a used RAM set or "good deal" on new DDR2 RAM would be have to be lower than that.

EDIT: I would not go with schmuckley's recommendations since he forgot that the Phenom II X4 940 doesn't support DDR3 RAM and is also completely incompatible with that mobo.

Alright, so that RAM can fit fine with what I have in the other 2 slots?

Also, is it worth doing a video card upgrade now? I could ask for that for Christmas... Or will my current CPU limit it?
 
Alright, so that RAM can fit fine with what I have in the other 2 slots?
It should. Though just to make sure: What's the exact make and model of RAM you have? What motherboard do you have now?
Also, is it worth doing a video card upgrade now? I could ask for that for Christmas... Or will my current CPU limit it?
Yes. Yes somewhat. Though you can alleviate that by overclocking the CPU.
 
It should. Though just to make sure: What's the exact make and model of RAM you have? What motherboard do you have now?

Yes. Yes somewhat. Though you can alleviate that by overclocking the CPU.


Is my CPU good for overclocking? Last time I tried years back I had terrible luck with stability.
 
Is my CPU good for overclocking? Last time I tried years back I had terrible luck with stability.

Maybe. Depends on your luck, what HSF you're using, what mobo you have, and whether or not you have good cooling. Though considering your current case, overclocking may not be the best of ideas.
 
Alright, will I still notice a big difference with the extra 4Gigs of RAM and that video card?
 
Back
Top